Author Topic: reel needed for spinning for G.T's in moz!  (Read 9191 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline seamonkey

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 8
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: port elizabeth,eastern cape
reel needed for spinning for G.T's in moz!
« on: March 25, 2013, 07:24:54 PM »
Hi guys.
 
 I'm fairly new to the forum and with most of my fishing being done on multipliers with bait, I'm even newer to spinning for big fish.This is where i get clueless :blush:  coz my friend started planning a trip to Moz.... its only in a years time but i figure i better check with the pro's now and give myself time to get used to the set up.
 
I need some advice for a good spinning reel for a trip to Moz. Ideally I would be looking to use 2 set ups, light/medium with 20- 30lb braid for smaller species(taken care of).... and then a heavier set up with 50lb braid or heavier for the big  :gt: that lurk around there. w;k  So my question is this..... Without blowing the bank here.... what would be a good option???? Im hoping to spend under 2grand on the reel...I was advised on the Salina ii....
 
Also.... the rod i was advised on was the Shimano exage 10 foot spinning model. I've never used the rod so im leaving the decision in your capable hands... feel free to criticise it and help me make the right choice. dont want to get there and end up with a broken rod or reel after the first fish...
 
Most of our fishing will be done from the side in the surf.... ALL and ANY advice would be more than welcome!!!!
 
 
 :tkx:  in advance! HELP A BROTHER OUT!!!

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: reel needed for spinning for G.T's in moz!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 09:33:49 PM »
I have a small Salina II that I bought as a backup for my girlfriends rather dodgy Spheros, and I was suitably impressed with it (once I had removed the bail arm trip mechanism). Apparently the bigger ones are reasonably strong.


Also look at the Stradic, Saragossa or Sustain in Shimi, or if you are a Daiwa fan, the Seagate or the Saltist. I like the Saltist. I have two 6500s and a 4500. I rate them as very good value. I don't use them much any more, tending to keep them as backups.


Can't comment on the Exage as I have never fished one.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Cage

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 317
  • Cred: 64
  • Gender: Male
  • I FISH THEREFORE I LIVE
  • Location: JHB, Gauteng
Re: reel needed for spinning for G.T's in moz!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 10:04:47 PM »
Hi


I have limited experience but have learnt my fair share of lessons taught to me by Big :gt:  (most of them resulting in shock and horror followed by numerous choice words hurled at rod, reel, reef and any innocent bystander)


The heavy outfit is the one that's toughest to fit into a budget as the big geets have little respect for kit not upto the job- that job being largely stopping the beast!


For 2k or thereabouts one can look at a shimano Stradic or sustain 6000 which will comfortably hold 50lb braid and is not too bulky to spin with all day and also doubles up as a decent light jigging reel. I found the gear ratio on my sustain 6000 a tad slow for surf spinning so then moved to a shimano biomaster 8000hg. Higher gear ratio and built for the salt with a very respectable 13kgs of drag and if you want to throw heavier than 50lb it can hold enough of that too. The 8000hg is priced a little over 2k whilst the 6000hg comes in under 2k (around 1850).


As is apparent, my opinion is a biased one only because I don't know any other brand and have fished shimano only all my life....


That being said, the 10ft exage is a great choice but have felt a few of the heavy sticks lately and the 10.6 excelor, new Berkley venom all feel great. I have been throwing the 10ft shimano aerocast but feel that this rod is more suited to a medium outfit as its not very happy throwing 3oz upwards.....So currently have my eye on the new assassin spin master 2X heavy


That's my 2c... Qualified again by my limited experience.. The pros on UA know better....


Good luck...



Offline 1969

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 109
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: natal umdloti
Re: reel needed for spinning for G.T's in moz!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 07:42:08 AM »
Try the shimano aceration hg , high retrieve 12kg drag waterproof drag is the jdm version of the saragosa priced under the biomaster .

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: reel needed for spinning for G.T's in moz!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 07:48:21 AM »
SM... the only problem with the 10ft Exage is that it's a stiff beast, and only loads properly with 4 and 5 oz plugs. (Rated to throw 7oz!!) It's useless with 3 oz and below. But it throws a 5oz Aubrey da Gama miles! I do believe that there are better options in today's market... like the Assassin Spinmaster rods, Daiwa Excelers, Aerocast, Berkley Venom.
The Spinmaster 2X Heavy is 11ft, 30-50lb braid, rated 2-5oz, which covers all your bases.


Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: reel needed for spinning for G.T's in moz!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 08:07:58 AM »

The heavy outfit is the one that's toughest to fit into a budget as the big geets have little respect for kit not upto the job- that job being largely stopping the beast!

100% - this is where you need to go strong or go home... the other option is second hand kit... have a look around.
wrt the Exage, I have scaled down from the 10ft to the 8ft on my medium rig, the rod feels better and casts much better with lighter lures, but I agree with RM there better rods out there.
Good luck...

Offline lebaka

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 860
  • Cred: 66
  • Gender: Male
  • i break bills
  • Location: boksburg
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: reel needed for spinning for G.T's in moz!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 08:24:57 AM »
Lebs, I think Seamonkey is looking for Shore Angling stuff. That rod advertised is a 7ft 5 popping rod - for use off a boat?

Offline seamonkey

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 8
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: port elizabeth,eastern cape
Re: reel needed for spinning for G.T's in moz!
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 07:21:40 PM »
Thanks for all the reply's guys!


With regards to the exage only loading with 4-5oz lures,that's y I'm looking at it...a cost effective rod for slightly larger lures with good stopping power...I  have a rod that will throw 3oz and less... but the assassin really sounds like something to look at.




As for reels,a friend has the ultegra 5500,10000 and aerlex7000 (which he is willing to give to me as he is moving to perth)... would this realistically work?I know guys target non eds on them???


This is a once off trip(I'm a teacher-we can't afford trips along the coast chasing GT's) so it would be nice for the reel to double up for edibles/small"ish" non eds off the beach.


So far I'm leaning towards the biomaster 8000 or the stradic if the ultegra or aerlex can't cut it???

Offline Cage

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 317
  • Cred: 64
  • Gender: Male
  • I FISH THEREFORE I LIVE
  • Location: JHB, Gauteng
Re: reel needed for spinning for G.T's in moz!
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 08:37:42 PM »
I think the ultegra and aerlex will just be too cumbersome when spinning... Would definitely go the Stradic or biomaster route and both would be able to easily double up as an eds/small ineds surf casting reel....

Offline lebaka

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 860
  • Cred: 66
  • Gender: Male
  • i break bills
  • Location: boksburg
Re: reel needed for spinning for G.T's in moz!
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 10:00:47 AM »
Lebs, I think Seamonkey is looking for Shore Angling stuff. That rod advertised is a 7ft 5 popping rod - for use off a boat?

 :blush:
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Offline maganything

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 642
  • Cred: 68
  • Gender: Male
  • I'd rather be fishing
  • Location: Durban North
Re: reel needed for spinning for G.T's in moz!
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 10:32:32 AM »
 
 
Have a look at the Diawa opus bull..
 
For its price it punches way above its weight
2019 Yeld cat 17Ft with 2 x F70 yammies

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal