Author Topic: Single hooks on lures- size and orientation?  (Read 4390 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline bomber

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Hartbeespoort
Single hooks on lures- size and orientation?
« on: March 11, 2013, 05:18:52 PM »
Hi guys,

I replaced the trebles on a few spoons and lures for a upcoming trip,

Used mustad big gun hooks, 2 main questions I have are:

1) Is the hook an adequate size for the lure?
2) is hook orientation correct facing ' upwards'?

Cheers :)

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Single hooks on lures- size and orientation?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 05:35:01 PM »
Looks good Bomber! Both  :corrct:

Check this out for more info... http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=7491.0

Offline jock0

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 10
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gauteng
Re: Single hooks on lures- size and orientation?
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 05:56:39 PM »
I wouldn't use the big guns, they're offset and may cause your lure to not swim true. The onda knockoffs are sensitive to this under certain conditions. In a pinch sure, but when rigging up at home I'd rather go for a similar gauge straight shank.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Single hooks on lures- size and orientation?
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 06:14:42 PM »
I wouldn't use the big guns, they're offset and may cause your lure to not swim true. The onda knockoffs are sensitive to this under certain conditions. In a pinch sure, but when rigging up at home I'd rather go for a similar gauge straight shank.

Good point Jock0.  :welc:

Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Single hooks on lures- size and orientation?
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 06:38:42 PM »
I changed all my poppers,lures and spoons to singles,no trebles,find that the hookup rate has improved with singles too,also easier to remove from fish's mouth,so less damage done...I chandged mine to bandit 4 x h/duty in size 3/0 and 4/0 depending on size of lure obviously,and they are not off-set,so action/swim remains good, :welc: :tite :grk: :shd: hope this helps you as it has me...
 
 
p.s:use decent split rings too... w;k
Always be humble...

Offline bomber

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Hartbeespoort
Re: Single hooks on lures- size and orientation?
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 07:35:23 PM »
@ reefman, nice article, very informative indeed!

@ jocko, my bad, it's not big guns, they are hoodlums...not offset

So problem solved.. :)

And ps: that's an original onda, purchased about 2 years or more ago :)





Offline bomber

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Hartbeespoort
Re: Single hooks on lures- size and orientation?
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 07:38:21 PM »
I changed all my poppers,lures and spoons to singles,no trebles,find that the hookup rate has improved with singles too,also easier to remove from fish's mouth,so less damage done...I chandged mine to bandit 4 x h/duty in size 3/0 and 4/0 depending on size of lure obviously,and they are not off-set,so action/swim remains good, :welc: :tite :grk: :shd: hope this helps you as it has me...
 
 
p.s:use decent split rings too... w;k

Nicky, do you even use singles on poppers? I have 3/4 and 1.5 ounce surface plugs and have never tried them with singles.

Also upward hook orientation as on other spoons etc?

Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Single hooks on lures- size and orientation?
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 08:01:48 PM »
oh yea for sure...especially the chisel nose type plugs but my poppers too,logic tells me that the bigger the gape of the hook(single as apposed to treb.)the better your chance of a hookup,eventhough there's obv. 3 hooks on treb. the gapes are smaller...and it damages the fish's mouth more,if you're intending on releasing it...my 2c
 
haven't lost a fish once it has commited to the plug,popper etc. w;k :grk: :tite
Always be humble...

Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Single hooks on lures- size and orientation?
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 08:14:45 PM »
I use the stinger/assist hook type rig on my plugs,check on forum under saltwater lure angling,all the info you need, w;k it's the same setup that I use exclusively now... :win:
Always be humble...

Offline bomber

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Hartbeespoort
Re: Single hooks on lures- size and orientation?
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 08:26:57 PM »
Read my mind, my next question was how about using assist hooks on plugs similar to the gt needle nose plugs etc :)

Wana give it a try making a few of my own, don't have dacron though so may just clip on the single hooks for now...

Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Single hooks on lures- size and orientation?
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 08:37:34 PM »
 :hehe: :hnthnt: that's what I meant..sorry,I use assist/stinger type on my needle and chisel nose plugs w;k hasn't let me down yet,but for now a singel straight to the back-end will work fine facing upwards eventhough it won't stay upright as the plug ducks and dives...just had idea,maby two singles back to back tied with two or so cableties can work,that way either 1 is always facing up w;k I might just try that next time... :dunno: :hnthnt: :hehe:
Always be humble...

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal