Author Topic: Go Pro 3 and trollpro review  (Read 5107 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Go Pro 3 and trollpro review
« on: January 08, 2013, 02:07:15 PM »
                                    Review for GOPRO 3, TROLLPRO AND SBK CASE



I was hoping to give  you some good underwater pics of from the Gopro and Troll cam but not to be. I  learn’t a lesson as despite having ordered my toys a month before needing them  they only arrived after my holiday was over from Meltons in the USA and having  spent 10days in SA customs!!!
So pics and comments  on the performance will come later but here is a first impression of the kit!
 
Go Pro 3 (Black edition)
Vendor – Meltons
Price (ex USA) : U$D 399-00
Price landed  (including Vat ) : R 3800-00
In the box: Camera,  underwater housing, wifi remote and charger, cables (but not HDMI) , various  mountings – software has to be downloaded from internet (Update).
Specs:
link : http://gopro.com/hd-hero3-cameras

 
Pros:
Smaller, better image  quality, better frame rates,
wifi and remote  operated! (Included with black edition)
Older mounting  brackets etc still fit this model.
Cons:
Need a new HDMI cable  as the one from your Gopro 2 wont fit!
New housing (you Gopro  2 housing wnt fit) – but does come with the better underwater housing not the  convex lens that does not work underwater.
New SDmirco cards  (level 10 or higher) – I spent a day running about looking for some so I could  test the camera. You old card in you Gopro 2 wont work unless you have SD micro  cards with adaptors.
Price – not cheap  which was the point of the previous models but you can get the silver and white  editions for much less.
Software update needed  to be manually uploaded to camera as I did not have a 64 bit computer.
 
Troll Pro camera troll housing for go Pro
Vendor – Meltons
Price (ex USA) : U$D  149-99
Price landed  (including Vat ) : R1505-00
In the box: Housing, allen  key, weight (32onz) with swivel and clip.
Specs: NA
 
Pros:
Small and light weigh  (way smaller than expected) – not tested in the ocean as yet.
Cons:
Need a modification  (cut housing) to fit Gopro 3.
You will need a  different size allen key for the weight (fitted weight)
 
SKB Go Pro custom waterproof case  (Item no 226767)
Vendor – Meltons
Price (ex USA) : U$D 129-99  excl freight
Price landed  (including Vat ) : R
In the box: 3 camera  waterproof case and pre cut spong liner
Specs: NA
I opted for the three  camera unit even though I only had two cameras - give me the option of carrying spare housing.

Pros:
.Water proof, sturdy  and lockable.
Pre cut slots for  equipment
Slot for memory cards

Cons:
I cannot find any yet!
Conclusion:
A must for protecting  you expensive kit…..!.

Offline peterblace

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1151
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mozambique - Maputo
Re: Go Pro 3 and trollpro review
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 03:09:40 PM »
looking forward for the underwater footage

congrats on your new toys

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: Go Pro 3 and trollpro review
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 03:14:19 PM »
More images.. of SKB case

Offline peterblace

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1151
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mozambique - Maputo
Re: Go Pro 3 and trollpro review
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 02:45:15 PM »
no footage yet from the trollpro?
I just bought one (trollpro 2 - fits all gopro cameras) on my US trip and I'm lloking forward to test it...but I should have bought another gopro...to have the action filmed from above and under the water

looking forward for your feedback

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: Go Pro 3 and trollpro review
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 05:33:27 PM »
 :blush: sorry PB, I have been out plenty but not put the darn thing in the water yet... I had big intentions at Ascension but was so busy catching fish, I slipped up!!! Maybe in Nov/Dec I will get it in the water...
 

Offline peterblace

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1151
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mozambique - Maputo
Re: Go Pro 3 and trollpro review
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 09:32:48 PM »
7/10...no idea if you managed to try the trollpro yet
I have tried last weekend and out of 4h40 of footage here is the best I can produce

enjoy

http://youtu.be/hEysWKvR4HY

Offline Shaun17

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1614
  • Cred: 262
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Go Pro 3 and trollpro review
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 02:56:16 AM »
7/10...no idea if you managed to try the trollpro yet
I have tried last weekend and out of 4h40 of footage here is the best I can produce

enjoy

http://youtu.be/hEysWKvR4HY

Thanks for sharing PB!!
 
How (or to what) is the Trollpro attached? Been thinking about getting one and attaching it to either my spreader bar or teasers, but not sure if it'll affect the action?

Offline peterblace

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1151
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mozambique - Maputo
Re: Go Pro 3 and trollpro review
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 09:12:12 AM »
Shaun...the trollpro is attached to the boat trough a tow line I made it myself

for the trollpro tow line I have used same dynema used on kite line (100% dynema with 300kg breaking strenght)
25mts long...I have sleeved 3 segments of dynema...2 stay on each tip of the 25mt tow line (overhand knot loop) and one stay free so that I can adjust the lenght of the trollpro
the end loop attach to the trollpro 32oz sinker trough a JohnF's snap swivel...then the sinker attach to the trollpro trough another hd snap swivel
on this test I tried to troll the trollpro at 10mts...so did a overhand loop on the free sleeve (@10mts) to a musketeer to safely hold it on the boat
the battery last ~2h25 and with the setting I have on the gopro I have 4h40 of movie for the 32gb card
I have 2 battery so at the end of the day I have 4h40 of movie

do not attach to anything else...safe secure the tow line to the boat...then you can join teasers, spreader bar, lures, etc to the tow line
check the schematics of some suggestions for trollpro

http://www.bluebottlefishing.com/product_images/uploaded_images/slide1.jpg

http://www.bluebottlefishing.com/product_images/uploaded_images/slide2.jpg
 

Offline shagnrelease

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal