Author Topic: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS  (Read 198198 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #280 on: April 19, 2013, 03:33:41 PM »
No. DAFF said they will do this to, ensure no jobs are lost, these are merely extentims of existing permits.

They also said that they are aiming to list the new proposed permit holders in Jan 2014 for public comment.
M
The have a huge task at hand. They will use 2 outside companies also.
One to validate applications and one to score applicants
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 03:37:42 PM by Capt. Hook »

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #281 on: April 19, 2013, 04:08:11 PM »
@ Robin,
If I remember correctly from the meeting last week, the actual permit has already expired. The license I think used to be valid for 8 years but that was recently amended and its term is now only 5 years. This particular license expired a year ago and the netters have been operating under 1 year extensions meaning that they have been reapplying for an extension each year until the new permit is issued through the current process. Even so though, the timing strikes me as very, very strange. Mr Morty took almost 2 months to meet with us to discuss this issue and in this time the new 1 year extension was passed.

Cameron, it was no coincidence. He gave everyone the runaround for a reason. At the time, do you remember the frustration of trying to get him to meet with people that are trying to assist his department? Do you remember the confusion as to why he could not meet earlier? The problem runs much deeper than what we we can prove. Where there is smoke there is fire and I nearly died of smoke inhalation two months ago. Like I said, it certainly looks like most of EKZNW are scared or complacent. Given the character in question and his 'shady' business affairs, I have to wonder what is really going on and where the motivation really lies.

I also wonder if the trek yesterday was mere show. The trek owner was not there. A disinterested parkie arrived and floundered about with his MP3 pumping out his tunes. It's a real concern guys.

Eventually fire must be fought with fire and if it's money that brings about leads and witnesses, then I won't rule that out. If I may quote Barrack Obama - 'Nothing's off the table'

Oh how the 117 Garrick (my beloved fish) is going to come back to haunt you Mr. Stickaguninyourface.

All it is going to take is ONE, just ONE to open up and the whole deck will fold. (Just too many irregularities going on there)


Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #282 on: April 19, 2013, 04:15:32 PM »
sounds like a job for ......

Offline jb2

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 97
  • Cred: 0
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #283 on: April 19, 2013, 04:18:22 PM »
@ Robin,
If I remember correctly from the meeting last week, the actual permit has already expired. The license I think used to be valid for 8 years but that was recently amended and its term is now only 5 years. This particular license expired a year ago and the netters have been operating under 1 year extensions meaning that they have been reapplying for an extension each year until the new permit is issued through the current process. Even so though, the timing strikes me as very, very strange. Mr Morty took almost 2 months to meet with us to discuss this issue and in this time the new 1 year extension was passed.

Cameron, it was no coincidence. He gave everyone the runaround for a reason. At the time, do you remember the frustration of trying to get him to meet with people that are trying to assist his department? Do you remember the confusion as to why he could not meet earlier? The problem runs much deeper than what we we can prove. Where there is smoke there is fire and I nearly died of smoke inhalation two months ago. Like I said, it certainly looks like most of EKZNW are scared or complacent. Given the character in question and his 'shady' business affairs, I have to wonder what is really going on and where the motivation really lies.

I also wonder if the trek yesterday was mere show. The trek owner was not there. A disinterested parkie arrived and floundered about with his MP3 pumping out his tunes. It's a real concern guys.

Eventually fire must be fought with fire and if it's money that brings about leads and witnesses, then I won't rule that out. If I may quote Barrack Obama - 'Nothing's off the table'

Oh how the 117 Garrick (my beloved fish) is going to come back to haunt you Mr. Stickaguninyourface.

All it is going to take is ONE, just ONE to open up and the whole deck will fold. (Just too many irregularities going on there)
Hi Robin
It would be worth checking if Ezemvelo KZN even issues the authorisations for the beach seine in KZN.
I would guess that it is done by DAFF in Cape Town.
Wouldn't you agree that it is more likely that DAFF does it than EKZN?
I know very little about the KZN beach seine fishery but you seem to think that EKZN issues them.
I understand that you suspect Mr. Morty of being corrupt or having been corrupted but if he works for the agency that does not issue the authorisations then the chances of him being corrupt are lower.
Corruption is very serious and I understand your need to speak freely about it but it helps to do a bit of research before you reach the conclusion that a person is corrupt.
So once again, if DAFF issues the authorisations then there is less chance of Mr. Morty being corrupt.
 

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #284 on: April 19, 2013, 04:39:51 PM »
Please please please don't put words in my mouth or twist what I said.I never said that Mr. Morty was corrupt or that I suspect that he is. He had the decency to answer my email and we are seeking to work with his department, not against them. Statements like that only hurt the strained relationship that we have with them. Like, I said there may well be fear of this person or just complacency. I can prove neither, I am merely speculating.

He may have been avoiding us all for his own convenience, what I am saying is that I feel that he had an obligation to meet us sooner.

And yes, I do suspect (like most) that there is some irregular behavior somewhere. Again, no proof of this yet.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 04:40:49 PM by RobinF »

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #285 on: April 19, 2013, 04:46:54 PM »
DAFF issues all permits

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #286 on: April 19, 2013, 04:53:44 PM »
DAFF issues all permits

The reason why we are working with EKZNW is that they have the power to revoke the License if we catch this guy red handed.

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #287 on: April 19, 2013, 04:57:53 PM »
DAFF issues all permits

The reason why we are working with EKZNW is that they have the power to revoke the License if we catch this guy red handed.

I think thier hands are tied, they can only enforce the law and prosecute, only after guilt is establishe in court can further action be taken

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #288 on: April 19, 2013, 05:07:13 PM »
DAFF issues all permits

The reason why we are working with EKZNW is that they have the power to revoke the License if we catch this guy red handed.

I think thier hands are tied, they can only enforce the law and prosecute, only after guilt is establishe in court can further action be taken

That is exactly it. Right now, they are our best bet! DAFF won't do anything. There are one or two guys at EKZNW that are very motivated, they do a brilliant job. Such a good job that it sets a standard that not everyone measures up to. AKA makes some of the other guys look bad or disinterested. (I just hope that EKZNW can hang onto those good guys.)

Offline jb2

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 97
  • Cred: 0
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #289 on: April 19, 2013, 05:27:04 PM »
Please please please don't put words in my mouth or twist what I said.I never said that Mr. Morty was corrupt or that I suspect that he is. He had the decency to answer my email and we are seeking to work with his department, not against them. Statements like that only hurt the strained relationship that we have with them. Like, I said there may well be fear of this person or just complacency. I can prove neither, I am merely speculating.

He may have been avoiding us all for his own convenience, what I am saying is that I feel that he had an obligation to meet us sooner.

And yes, I do suspect (like most) that there is some irregular behavior somewhere. Again, no proof of this yet.
Hi Robin
So what do you suspect? Please read your post again. It contains at worst allegations of corruption and at best a very strong innuendo.
What is the "fire" at the base of the "smoke" that you complain of?
 
 

Offline jb2

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 97
  • Cred: 0
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #290 on: April 19, 2013, 05:33:10 PM »
DAFF issues all permits

The reason why we are working with EKZNW is that they have the power to revoke the License if we catch this guy red handed.

I think thier hands are tied, they can only enforce the law and prosecute, only after guilt is establishe in court can further action be taken

That is exactly it. Right now, they are our best bet! DAFF won't do anything. There are one or two guys at EKZNW that are very motivated, they do a brilliant job. Such a good job that it sets a standard that not everyone measures up to. AKA makes some of the other guys look bad or disinterested. (I just hope that EKZNW can hang onto those good guys.)
Hi Robin
Please help me to understand the posts.
You said that EKZNW has the power to revoke the permits and then the Captain pointed out that they don't and then you said that "that is exactly it."
What is "exactly it"?
I agree that your earlier statement is not accurate and that EKZNW don't have the power.
/its late on a Friday afternoon and maybe I am  missing something. Please help me to understand?

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #291 on: April 19, 2013, 05:47:55 PM »
Anyone going to Vetch's tomorrow? Silly Question! Please keep an eye out and let us know. And please let us know if anyone catches! :fshn:

Offline jb2

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 97
  • Cred: 0
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #292 on: April 19, 2013, 05:56:13 PM »
Anyone going to Vetch's tomorrow? Silly Question! Please keep an eye out and let us know. And please let us know if anyone catches! :fshn:
Hi Robin
You said that EKZNW do have the power to revoke permits and you said "Exactly right" in reply to a comment that they don't have the power.
As I said it is late on Friday and my confusion at your insisting that both of these two alternatives is accurate has confused me.
Any help that you can offer would be appreciated.

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #293 on: April 19, 2013, 06:31:45 PM »
Jb2 Just a thought here as it seems to me that we all on the same side and all have a passion for conservation. Surely our energy, time and efforts are better spent dealing with the matter at hand instead of attacking each other.
Keep your personal issues with people off this thread and rather make constructive comment or be quiet

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #294 on: April 19, 2013, 09:49:29 PM »
Jb2 Just a thought here as it seems to me that we all on the same side and all have a passion for conservation. Surely our energy, time and efforts are better spent dealing with the matter at hand instead of attacking each other.
Keep your personal issues with people off this thread and rather make constructive comment or be quiet




 :happ: :happ: :happ:


JB2 , you seem to have the trekkers in your camp .
Let me tell you , I dont care who you are and whats your background, you could be the pope for all I  care. Could you  take this personal matter off this Forum . This thread has turned sour since you have made efforts to derail and accuse persons of rubbish !
I take exception and umbrance  to your suggestions , You have only made 28 posts on this forum , And regarldess of you agendas on other forums ,We just dont care , Further more you should keep these agendas [ what ever they might be ] of these type of forums that might allow this type of ' banter' .


You seem to have a long history of personal vendettas, none of the UA menmbers are in the least concerned about your , expert advice , or legal point of view . Are you a trekker ????
Should you find these comments 'nie van pas' you are more than welcome to PM me , or even I will buy you lunch in my part of town , it just seems you have plenty of time to talk online !




This might be very bad for my 'Smousing' om UA , but I really think you should consider ' thinking out loud else where'




Kind regards


Lenny 
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Charles

  • The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1142
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Never ever give up!
  • Location: Mossel Bay and Beni, DRC
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #295 on: April 19, 2013, 10:01:06 PM »
Lenny and Capt. Hook. I couldn't agree more with your comments! We don't need/want this type of personal vendettas and I take exception to the uncalled for comments of JB2
 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 10:04:02 PM by Charles »

Offline SUPER ADMIN

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 334
  • Cred: 38
  • Gender: Male
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #296 on: April 20, 2013, 07:59:46 AM »
Jb2... it is abundantly clear that the members of UA don't want to be subjected to your continued nit-picking and personal vendetta. You are railroading this thread with your own agenda, making things extremely unpleasant for all those interested. Enlighten us with your vast knowledge on the subject by stating facts and opinions, WITHOUT always trying to show someone up.

We won't be asking for your cooperation again.

Offline Toppie

  • RIP Toppie. What a great man. You will always be an
  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1823
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #297 on: April 20, 2013, 08:23:06 AM »
Thank you Super Admin!
 
Think we all realise, permits are issued by DAFF, but that EKZNW have the powers to monitor and prosecute wrong doing with over fishing and criminal abuse of permits and the Sea Fisheries Act..
 
Since DAFF is hardly interested our only hope is to get EKZNW onboard to take decisive steps to curtail any wrong doing.
 
What's so difficult to understand about that late on a Friday afternoon?
"Everything will be good in the end" - so it cant be the end yet!

rooiwil

  • Guest
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #298 on: April 20, 2013, 08:37:35 AM »
 (clap) (clap) (clap)
Jb2... it is abundantly clear that the members of UA don't want to be subjected to your continued nit-picking and personal vendetta. You are railroading this thread with your own agenda, making things extremely unpleasant for all those interested. Enlighten us with your vast knowledge on the subject by stating facts and opinions, WITHOUT always trying to show someone up.

We won't be asking for your cooperation again.

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #299 on: April 20, 2013, 09:07:13 AM »
Thank you Super Admin!
 
Think we all realise, permits are issued by DAFF, but that EKZNW have the powers to monitor and prosecute wrong doing with over fishing and criminal abuse of permits and the Sea Fisheries Act..
 
Since DAFF is hardly interested our only hope is to get EKZNW onboard to take decisive steps to curtail any wrong doing.
 
What's so difficult to understand about that late on a Friday afternoon?

 (clap) Thanks Toppie, I also assumed everyone got what I meant. 

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal