Author Topic: tying flies - what next???  (Read 4604 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
tying flies - what next???
« on: November 19, 2012, 12:53:04 PM »
After some "convincing" by Rory - I bought this in London in August - now its gathering dust....mainly because I have had little time to deal with it.


I need to buy materials......


I will be in the USA in December and am intending to visit a couple of fly fishing (and other fishing) shops without my wife- any ideas on what materials I should be getting for trout flies?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 12:53:36 PM by Ziggy »

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: tying flies - what next???
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 02:01:51 PM »
 :envy  Super looking vice Ziggy! Very nice. I'd recommend you have a chat with the guy who runs the flyfishing section at Kingfisher and pick his brains re materials to get started. The materials will depend a lot on the style/pattern of fly you want to start off on.

Offline Circus

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 8
  • Cred: 4
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sandton, Gauteng
Re: tying flies - what next???
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 02:17:09 PM »
Based on you wanting to tie trout flies, I would recommend the following:
 
A book on beginner fly-tying (it will save you money on incorrect purchases of random junk)
At least 2 half-capes. Whiting make lovely ones. I'd get grizzly and something brown. Lovely for tails and dry-fly hackle.
Soft hackle in brown, black and maybe green.
Marabou for the tails of all woolly buggers
Peacock herl - hugely useful for so many flies
A nice selection of dubbing (get a box with 10 colours that includes some hairs ear
A pheasant tail feather
Thread in a variety of colours (black, grey, green, brown, white at least). I recommend 140 denier as the size as it is thick enough that you won't break it too often accidentally.
Lead wire (0.01 of an inch thickness)
head cement
rubber legs (they create lovely movement)
Beads - brass if you do mostly still waters, tungsten if you fish rivers as well. Gold is the only colour you need for now.
Hooks - a range of sizes from 8-16, some long-shank, some normal.
Ribbing wire - get it as thin as you can, copper first, then maybe brass, red and blue
Flashabou
 
While this list is far from exhaustive, it will enable you to tie most normal trout flies and should put a healthy dent in your wallet. My best suggestion is to buy the book first, decide what flies you want to tie the most, then buy the specific ingredients for those flies and progress from there. The two most important things for fly tying are a high-quality chair and a bright light.
 

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: tying flies - what next???
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 04:03:03 PM »
:envy  Super looking vice Ziggy! Very nice. I'd recommend you have a chat with the guy who runs the flyfishing section at Kingfisher and pick his brains re materials to get started. The materials will depend a lot on the style/pattern of fly you want to start off on.


thanks Rory - good advice....still dont know why I bought that thing! I have over 500 flies in various boxes...

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: tying flies - what next???
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 04:03:54 PM »
Based on you wanting to tie trout flies, I would recommend the following:
 
A book on beginner fly-tying (it will save you money on incorrect purchases of random junk)
At least 2 half-capes. Whiting make lovely ones. I'd get grizzly and something brown. Lovely for tails and dry-fly hackle.
Soft hackle in brown, black and maybe green.
Marabou for the tails of all woolly buggers
Peacock herl - hugely useful for so many flies
A nice selection of dubbing (get a box with 10 colours that includes some hairs ear
A pheasant tail feather
Thread in a variety of colours (black, grey, green, brown, white at least). I recommend 140 denier as the size as it is thick enough that you won't break it too often accidentally.
Lead wire (0.01 of an inch thickness)
head cement
rubber legs (they create lovely movement)
Beads - brass if you do mostly still waters, tungsten if you fish rivers as well. Gold is the only colour you need for now.
Hooks - a range of sizes from 8-16, some long-shank, some normal.
Ribbing wire - get it as thin as you can, copper first, then maybe brass, red and blue
Flashabou
 
While this list is far from exhaustive, it will enable you to tie most normal trout flies and should put a healthy dent in your wallet. My best suggestion is to buy the book first, decide what flies you want to tie the most, then buy the specific ingredients for those flies and progress from there. The two most important things for fly tying are a high-quality chair and a bright light.


that sounds like a real "starter pack"! Will keep the list in mind

Offline kevinlab

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 14
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Johannesburg
Re: tying flies - what next???
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 06:06:02 PM »
HI Ziggy f you get cross with your vice let know looking for a nice vice w;k

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: tying flies - what next???
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 06:14:06 PM »
HI Ziggy f you get cross with your vice let know looking for a nice vice w;k


I will remember that!

Offline Wynand13

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Krugersdorp
Re: tying flies - what next???
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 09:59:20 AM »
HI Ziggy

Not sure where you are situated, but Urban Fly Fishers have a fly tying evening every Monday, I have been there a few times, just cant make it as often as I would like due to work obligations, but what I have seen there they do stock mainly fly tying goodies, and there`s loads of it. Honestly not even sure what half of it is... Could suggest that maybe it would be worth your while to pop in there, sure they will be able to give advice.
There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: tying flies - what next???
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 10:04:52 AM »
HI Ziggy

Not sure where you are situated, but Urban Fly Fishers have a fly tying evening every Monday, I have been there a few times, just cant make it as often as I would like due to work obligations, but what I have seen there they do stock mainly fly tying goodies, and there`s loads of it. Honestly not even sure what half of it is... Could suggest that maybe it would be worth your while to pop in there, sure they will be able to give advice.


I live in Durban - and seldom get to Jhb - other than to via OR Tambo - pity about that. Maybe I should make a plan next time. However, will be in the USA in december, maybe I can get the same goodies there but cheaper?

Offline Wynand13

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Krugersdorp
Re: tying flies - what next???
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 10:13:05 AM »
Just double check on the price you pay, do some homework first. I recently purchased a few goodies abroad only to see it cheaper in our shops  duh duh duh But in general most of our Fly equipment either comes from USA or UK so you should save a few bucks.

On advice I am not the person to ask as 99% of my flies are bought, I would love to tie myself but cant even make time to go to the classes and the little weekend time I get every now and then I would rather spend fishing...
There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: tying flies - what next???
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 10:23:16 AM »
Here we go Ziggy:
 
http://www.durbanflytyers.co.za/
 
I'm sure these guys will get you sorted in no time!

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: tying flies - what next???
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 10:45:58 AM »
thanks for that Rory - will certainly be joining next year for sure - looks like the place to learn

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal