Author Topic: Shimano Aerocast 30XH vs 270XH (9' vs 10')  (Read 12232 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Saracen

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 10
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Langebaan, Western Cape
Shimano Aerocast 30XH vs 270XH (9' vs 10')
« on: October 08, 2012, 10:06:43 PM »
Hi Guys,


Looking to pair my Sustain 5000 FG with either the 9' or 10' Aerocast, but cant decide on which 1! I have gone onto the RapalaSA site to compare the 2 and just want to confirm the spec's listed, according to Rapala SA, both are rated to throw up to 100 grams, is this correct ( I see that the Berkley air's action increases from 1-3 oz to 1-4 oz as they get longer)? The reason I ask is that I like the idea of the extra length of the 10', but dont want the extra length at the expense of not being able to throw light-ish lures (about 1oz / 28 grams or less) when I need to. I will be throwing spoons and lures for shad at Langebaan as well as paddle tails for cob at Jacobs Baai and other spots on the West Coast (basically the normal 1-3 oz story).


Would also be interested to know if anybody uses long leaders with their Aerocast's (are the guides up to the task of having a leader not flying through them?)


Any info from the serious spin guru's on this sight will be greatly appreciated! 

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Shimano Aerocast 30XH vs 270XH (9' vs 10')
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 07:57:29 AM »
 :welc: Saracen.

I had the 30XH. Rated to 50-100g. The eyes are so small that there's no chance of throwing a mono leader through - something will break.

Great rod, purely suited for braid spinning, leader out the guides.


Offline zamarlin

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 13
  • Cred: 1
  • Location: Hermanus Western Cape
Re: Shimano Aerocast 30XH vs 270XH (9' vs 10')
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 03:28:55 PM »
I have used the 10' version for the last year. Eyes are very small in diameter and not as robust as I would have expected.  Mine is paired with a Daiwa 4500 and 30 lb braid.  I have heard people say they cast more than 100m but I believe around 70 to be more accurate.  I can get 1/2 oz. lure a fair distance but the sweat weight is 1 to 2 oz.  I find even three oz. do-able but you feel the strain on the rod.  Very good action and light weight for casting all day.  I am very happy with my 10' rod.

Offline BluFlu

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 83
  • Cred: 12
  • Gender: Male
  • All the rest is details ...
  • Location: Noordhoek, Cape Town
Re: Shimano Aerocast 30XH vs 270XH (9' vs 10')
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 03:47:11 PM »
I have the 10 foot and it certainly has more backbone than the 9'Berkley air XH which I also have. Eyes are a problem as they are tiny but I will be spooling a section of JB hollowcore on and splicing the leader. Vs the 9 foot Berkly reckon the 10 foot throws a loght weight lure better given the extra foot length.

Offline BluFlu

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 83
  • Cred: 12
  • Gender: Male
  • All the rest is details ...
  • Location: Noordhoek, Cape Town
Re: Shimano Aerocast 30XH vs 270XH (9' vs 10')
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 03:52:24 PM »
Reefs reckon with a 2 ounce bullet spoon you should hit 70 m rather easily with 100 plus in decent conditions very doble.

Ver cool rod btw. Certainly one of my favourites.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Shimano Aerocast 30XH vs 270XH (9' vs 10')
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 04:03:22 PM »
Blu, funny you should say that... I just got a Daiwa Exceler XXXH 10ft. This rod is the bomb! Rated from 1oz to 4 oz, and throws much further than the Aerocast. Very impressed with it! Tiny slimline blank as well, half the diameter of the Poseidon HMG Ultra light, but rated higher in casting weight!? Wierd what they can do with blanks nowdays...

Offline BluFlu

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 83
  • Cred: 12
  • Gender: Male
  • All the rest is details ...
  • Location: Noordhoek, Cape Town
Re: Shimano Aerocast 30XH vs 270XH (9' vs 10')
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 04:16:19 PM »
Ja a mate has the Excellor 'Elite?' withh the white graduated paint job, very nice and R1000 cheaper than the Aerocast. I have a thing for Shiman rods though especially in the light spinning side :-) Actually it is not just Shimano. Have paired it with my Van Staal Vs150 bailess which is really cool for spinning in the surf. Bailess is strange, very strange but once you have the hang of it it is really cool.

Saracen if you are in CT over a weekend drop me a line and you can take a throw with the Aerocast and Berkly should give you a good feel. Hey may even be a suicidal yellowtail coming through Simonstown if we are lucky,

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Shimano Aerocast 30XH vs 270XH (9' vs 10')
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 05:20:28 PM »
Van Staal Bailless!!  :shk
That's just sick! Please post some pics of it... need to drool a bit

Offline Saracen

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 10
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Langebaan, Western Cape
Re: Shimano Aerocast 30XH vs 270XH (9' vs 10')
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 05:22:32 PM »
Thanks guys for the replies, its always much appreciated when the experts dispense a bit of wisdom and knowledge!
A few more questions if you dont mind?
1. Im dead set on casting with a long leader, am I living in the stone age and need to change with the times?!
2. Like BluFlu, Im also a bit of a Shimano fan when it comes to spinning gear, would I be wasting my time (and money) if i bought a Aerocast and upgraded the guides (and if no, any recommendations for the guides?)












Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Shimano Aerocast 30XH vs 270XH (9' vs 10')
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 05:27:47 PM »
Saracen, a few years ago I was also set on casting nice long Fluoro leaders, much easier on the fingers! I have a Shimano Beastmaster that I use for Dropshot and ultra light spinning that also had pathetic stupid small eyes. I upgraded the eyes on the rod to bigger and it works well. You just need to be careful with different eyes... the eyes with double seats will probably alter the action of the rod. Mine is much tougher than it used to be - more backbone and stiffer.

Offline Saracen

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 10
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Langebaan, Western Cape
Re: Shimano Aerocast 30XH vs 270XH (9' vs 10')
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 05:38:34 PM »
Noted, thanks REEFMAN.
From what Ive managed to find out so far is that the 9' is a little stiffer than the 10', so would it make more sense to get the 10' to upgrade in order to still be able to throw 1 oz rapala type lures?

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Shimano Aerocast 30XH vs 270XH (9' vs 10')
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 06:14:09 PM »
Sorry, I can't help you with the diffs between the 9ft and the 10ft... never used the 9ft one...  :dunno:

Offline The Herbmeister

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 130
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Re: Shimano Aerocast 30XH vs 270XH (9' vs 10')
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 10:40:47 AM »
 :shmno:  Yho Saracen, have a look at the Shimano Lesath Power Game at Basil Manning online. Pricey i know but no issues with the leader through the guides there. I have the Lesath 2.4 and 2.1, beaut rods.

Offline wp34

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 98
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gordons Bay
Re: Shimano Aerocast 30XH vs 270XH (9' vs 10')
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 07:13:40 PM »
Van Staal Bailless!!  :shk
That's just sick! Please post some pics of it... need to drool a bit
Awaiting pics of VanStaal Bailless!!!! Please!!!

Offline BluFlu

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 83
  • Cred: 12
  • Gender: Male
  • All the rest is details ...
  • Location: Noordhoek, Cape Town
Re: Shimano Aerocast 30XH vs 270XH (9' vs 10')
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 07:32:32 PM »
OK got it back from Neptune at lunch. Will post a pic once I get the kids in bed  :cg:

Offline BluFlu

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 83
  • Cred: 12
  • Gender: Male
  • All the rest is details ...
  • Location: Noordhoek, Cape Town
Re: Shimano Aerocast 30XH vs 270XH (9' vs 10')
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 08:06:45 PM »
Posted under its own topic :-)no hijack hear!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal