Author Topic: FORGIVE ME FOR I HAVE SINNED  (Read 7129 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
FORGIVE ME FOR I HAVE SINNED
« on: June 25, 2012, 09:34:03 AM »
SO Saturday morning my plans were drastically changed when my brother dropped off his 2 boys. Needless to say that they together with my little monster turned our house upside down. So Sunday I gave them the option of going to Rietvlei to ride their bicycles or do some fishing.

Easy decision for them  :fshn:

On arrival I set up 2 bait rods and 2 with spinners. It was mayhem trying to control the boys who just wanted to reel in including the 2 bait rods everyime I turned my back  duh :hehe: .

After an hour or so nothing had happened, then the trout in the section behind started jumping around and immediately the boys wanted to put the lines in there. I asked for permission, & this is were the sinning began not knowing you can catch trout on bait  sry . Boy I had no idea how much this was going to hurt my pocket  duh .

Needless to say the boys had a blast, as the bait hit the water the fish would be on it but getting the strike right was difficult for them and they were left with a bait less hook 8 out of 10 times but in the end I had to stop them at 3kg  :blush: . They would of carried on all day.

I managed  2 on spinners which was a first for me too.

So in all a great but expensive day enjoyed by all but worth every penny to see those big smiles
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 09:49:03 AM by Prego »

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: FORGIVE ME FOR I HAVE SINNED
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 09:35:45 AM »
one more

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: FORGIVE ME FOR I HAVE SINNED
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 09:37:49 AM »
Great stuff Paulo, nothing wrong with getting  :trout: on different methods!

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: FORGIVE ME FOR I HAVE SINNED
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 09:40:42 AM »
Lovely stuff Paolo... looks like the laaities had fun! Awesome fishies!

Offline Wynand13

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Krugersdorp
Re: FORGIVE ME FOR I HAVE SINNED
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 09:55:49 AM »
Paolo as long as the kids are now hooked nothing wrong, the area does not say Fly only and therefore anything goes, as long as you took the fish you caught or released them without causing any damage nothing wrong.
Time with kids fishing is great and they will remember this for years to come...
There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: FORGIVE ME FOR I HAVE SINNED
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 10:01:46 AM »
Thanks guys, the boys had a blast, I wish they could release them they would go back every weekend but at R90 a kilo eish  duh

Can anyone share some methods of preparing trout?

Offline shagnrelease

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: FORGIVE ME FOR I HAVE SINNED
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 10:22:45 AM »
Where is this place?

Offline Wynand13

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Krugersdorp
Re: FORGIVE ME FOR I HAVE SINNED
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 10:29:52 AM »
There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

Offline super_daav

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 855
  • Cred: 74
  • Gender: Male
  • Lower Zambezi 2009
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: FORGIVE ME FOR I HAVE SINNED
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 10:37:52 AM »
Nice Prego! Looks like they had a joll!!
 
As for preparing trout, clean fish, wrap in roughly 10 layers of wet newspaper, throw into fire or braai, wait for around 15 minutes, unpeel layers. Trout should be cooked (steamed effectively plus smokey taste), flake flesh, season with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Serve as snacks on salticracks or as main dish.
Kingfisher.co.za
Official Daiwa agent

Offline Tommo

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1188
  • Cred: 220
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pennington
Re: FORGIVE ME FOR I HAVE SINNED
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 10:47:22 AM »
Paolo there is nothing better than giving a kid some excitement with a fishing outing! You are giving a gift that could last a lifetime. I did exactly the same with my daughter some years ago at Brookwood estate. Those little trout places are ideal for people based in JHb to introduce their children to the joys of fishing.
 


 

amazing memories for me, and it set her off with an interest in fishing, which will hopefully last.

and here a few years later with a perch at Mpenjati.

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: FORGIVE ME FOR I HAVE SINNED
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 11:21:08 AM »
@ Shag its at Rietvlei zoo farm on Swartkoppies rd in the Brackenhurst area.

Thanks for the preparation and cooking advice SD & Wynand.

Tommo you are absoloutely right there, is no better feeling them watching the kids enjoy your passion. Matthew my 6 yeard old nephew is a lready a fishing machine be it on land or off shore he just loves it. 

J-Rock

  • Guest
Re: FORGIVE ME FOR I HAVE SINNED
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 01:45:40 PM »
 (clap) (clap) (clap)

Offline manus

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 108
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Centurion
Re: FORGIVE ME FOR I HAVE SINNED
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 02:07:29 PM »
He still fishes in the swimming pool, because he is too small, but he loves touching the fish!
 
“Want die Seun van die mens het gekom om te red wat verlore is.” Matt 18:11

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: FORGIVE ME FOR I HAVE SINNED
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 09:34:30 PM »
SO Saturday morning my plans were drastically changed when my brother dropped off his 2 boys. Needless to say that they together with my little monster turned our house upside down. So Sunday I gave them the option of going to Rietvlei to ride their bicycles or do some fishing.

Easy decision for them  :fshn:

On arrival I set up 2 bait rods and 2 with spinners. It was mayhem trying to control the boys who just wanted to reel in including the 2 bait rods everyime I turned my back  duh :hehe: .

After an hour or so nothing had happened, then the trout in the section behind started jumping around and immediately the boys wanted to put the lines in there. I asked for permission, & this is were the sinning began not knowing you can catch trout on bait  sry . Boy I had no idea how much this was going to hurt my pocket  duh .

Needless to say the boys had a blast, as the bait hit the water the fish would be on it but getting the strike right was difficult for them and they were left with a bait less hook 8 out of 10 times but in the end I had to stop them at 3kg  :blush: . They would of carried on all day.

I managed  2 on spinners which was a first for me too.

So in all a great but expensive day enjoyed by all but worth every penny to see those big smiles

Paolo, there is NO WAYS, that teaching youngsters to fish by catching TROOT on bait is a sin. You have exposed them to something special , fishing .
 
From many years of experience and observation, this is one group of kids who will wish to spend their time next to water with a rod in hand, and not in front of a screen or in the Mall.
 
Well done that man.  :+ cred:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: FORGIVE ME FOR I HAVE SINNED
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 07:35:04 AM »
Great stuff Prego!!!! Now you have guaranteed crew for Sea Quest!!!!!
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: FORGIVE ME FOR I HAVE SINNED
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 08:44:50 AM »
Thanks gents much aprrciated, Matthew is always keen and is the best crew aboard Sea Quest and at sixteen will be promoted to skipper  w;k

Nice one Manus.

Offline Vandewes

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 26
  • Cred: 10
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Roodepoort Gauteng
Re: FORGIVE ME FOR I HAVE SINNED
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 09:10:57 AM »
Thanks gents much aprrciated, Matthew is always keen and is the best crew aboard Sea Quest and at sixteen will be promoted to skipper  w;k

Nice one Manus.


My dad caught me with "Promoted to skipper" Now his catching all the fish.  :hehe:


This how I started and love Fishing!
Now they will want to go every weekend





7 days without fishing makes one weak

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: FORGIVE ME FOR I HAVE SINNED
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 09:23:50 AM »
Thanks gents much aprrciated, Matthew is always keen and is the best crew aboard Sea Quest and at sixteen will be promoted to skipper  w;k

Nice one Manus.


My dad caught me with "Promoted to skipper" Now his catching all the fish.  :hehe:


This how I started and love Fishing!
Now they will want to go every weekend

 :hehe: I hear you on that one

Offline Manuel Junior

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 579
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Maputo,Mozambique
Re: FORGIVE ME FOR I HAVE SINNED
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 09:33:09 AM »
Nice stuff Prego!!! :happ: :happ:

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal