Author Topic: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace  (Read 14529 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
« on: June 07, 2012, 10:36:58 AM »
Hi guys, thought I would share the double hook trace with you that I use more than  any other trace off the rocks and in the surf. It is a very simple trace, easy to tie, easy to use, and seems to work very well. The size of the hooks used here mean you can catch almost anything when the bigger fish are off the bite.

On this trace and variations of this trace I have caught the following:
  • Karanteen
    Blacktail
    John Brown
    Stonebream
    Bronze Bream
    Kob
    Rockcod
    Mullet
    Barbel
    Moony
    Stumpnose
    Steenbras
    Klipfish
    Musselcracker
    Butterfish

What you will need:

*2x size 6 Mustad hooks
*1x 3-way Swivel
*2x glow beads or floating beads, any colour, yellow, green and orange are winners
*15-20lb line for the trace



Tying The Trace


Measure out 2 pieces of trace line, 15cm in length.

Tie both pieces of trace line to different points of the 3 way swivel. I use the improved clinch knot.

Add your sliding beads and move them down to the knot at the swivel.

Then tie your hooks to the end of the trace line using the same knot as above.

Test all four knots, and then clip off the tag ends close to the knots.

Tie it to your main line. Attach, sinker or float and cast  :-)



WK  :FST:

Offline Toppie

  • RIP Toppie. What a great man. You will always be an
  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1823
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 10:49:09 AM »
What's the purpose/function of the beads WK?
"Everything will be good in the end" - so it cant be the end yet!

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 10:52:11 AM »
The yellow beads float, and the green ones glow. It is basically for colour in the water, similar to using a skirt. I have noticed, especially in the Eastern Cape, guys who fish with the 3 colour beads above nail the fish. So it is something I have experimented worth and seems to work quite well.

Basically for colour/glow, movement and floatation  :-)

Offline Kumz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 10:53:22 AM »
 (clap)  Nice 1 ...  :win:

Offline WJ

  • Team Blacktip
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 298
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: East Londen, Eastern Cape
Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 12:24:23 PM »
Awesome trace :win:  I use a variation of your trace when I am scratching for bigger fish. :gt: :gljn:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:24:40 PM by WJ »

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 12:25:52 PM »
Wow great trace WJ!!!!!  :+ cred:

Offline Zetti

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 12:53:02 PM »
G, are those beads available in tackle shops?

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 01:02:16 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, no.

I have about 50 in my tackle box from about 30 years a go.

They might be available in some shops though... Its a very light wood that has excellent buoyancy

Offline Kumz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 01:39:03 PM »
G, are those beads available in tackle shops?

Yes sir ... they are ....  w;k .. perhaps not the same colour  .. but you get them in various colours ... and sizes ...
I also use a small variant , will show you when we meet  ...  w;k

Offline deezynking

  • Ultimate Chancer
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 930
  • Cred: 15
  • Gender: Male
  • Feeesshhhhh
  • Location: durban kzn
Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 01:44:45 PM »
G, are those beads available in tackle shops?

I have seen alot of plastic and few foam beads. not wooden.
 
Excellent post again G.
nice alternative trace to WJ as well.
 :+ cred:  to both of you

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 01:51:52 PM »
Thanks DK, yeah thats why I am not sure if you can buy the wooden ones anymore  :dunno:

Offline Nakkie

  • Life's too short not to fish
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 644
  • Cred: 18
  • Gender: Male
  • I need to fish. I need to fish. I need to fish...
  • Location: Jozy!!!
Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 02:50:36 PM »
WK,


It might sound like silly questions but I have got 3...


1) sinkers to use - 2-4oz?
2) Should the sinker line be longer that the hook snoots? And
3) Do you attach the sinker line to the third eye of the swivel together with your mainline?

 :dunno: Gotta ask...
Enjoy life, go fish more and love your better half like today is your last.

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 02:55:33 PM »
Not at all Nakkie  :-)

I use between a 1 and 4 ounce with a sinker snood that is longer, which is tied to the third eye where the mainline would be tied on.

Offline Nakkie

  • Life's too short not to fish
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 644
  • Cred: 18
  • Gender: Male
  • I need to fish. I need to fish. I need to fish...
  • Location: Jozy!!!
Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 03:01:04 PM »
Thanks Garreth. Will make some for December. Very interesting with the beads... Could one put some floatation on one hook and the beads on the other? My thinking is that you then have one bait higher that the other.  :dunno:
Enjoy life, go fish more and love your better half like today is your last.

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 03:19:52 PM »
Its often a good idea to use floatation with or instead of the beads, especially when fishing in the brix

Offline craigb

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 321
  • Cred: 13
  • i just wanna fish
  • Location: durban
Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 06:30:41 PM »
Nice post<and great trace,use it often off the brix.Wj i like your version as well,do you think it will work for brusher with a mussel on each hook? 
I'm not addicted to fishing,i can quit anytime my wife makes me.

Offline PH

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2492
  • Cred: 259
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pringle Bay
Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 06:32:43 AM »
Thanks Gareth. It looks like a good "all-rounder" trace. Even I can make that trace. :hnthnt:
Will use it next week on the South Coast.
We civilise left,  we civilise right
Till nothing is left and nothing is right
"Paint your wagon"

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 08:30:14 AM »
Thanks guys, Craig if you replace the 2 hooks with 4/0's it will definitely work for Brusher, have caught a few small Brusher on the trace, but to target larger ones bigger hooks should be used I reckon.


Offline craigb

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 321
  • Cred: 13
  • i just wanna fish
  • Location: durban
Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 06:59:10 PM »
 :rotfl i reckon you right.I dont think ive ever seen one so small,nice.
I'm not addicted to fishing,i can quit anytime my wife makes me.

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2012, 08:23:25 AM »
:rotfl i reckon you right.I dont think ive ever seen one so small,nice.
:hehe: bru the average size Karanteen I catch were bigger than that Brusher  :hyst:

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal