Author Topic: Estuary session this morning  (Read 9476 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Tommo

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1188
  • Cred: 220
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pennington
Estuary session this morning
« on: June 05, 2012, 05:44:30 PM »
I have been watching Windguru for the last week, and it was clear that this morning was going to be a pearler. I had committed myself to a family lunch, but decided the morning looked so good that I would get up early and do a quick few hours on a nearby estuary, and at least get to enjoy the perfect conditions on the water.
Also I received my package of new lures that I ordered from Bass Pro shops recently, and was dying to give some of them a test drive. There is no test more stern for an estuary lure than to use it during the winter months, when the action is much slower. I actually relish these tough days, because it makes me think harder, and push the boundaries, and that is where the learning curve gets steeper.
 
My mate Cliff brought his fly gear and we headed off out of his driveway at 4.30am. At 6am we were on the water and motoring up to the headwaters of the river. The water was glassy and perfect, but very little sign of fish movement, apart from the odd lethargic mullet cruising just below the surface. None of the usual visible chases and splashes that seem to be so common at this time of day. The water was fairly cool and very clean, as spring high had been at about 4am and there is the lag up river, before the tide really changes up there.
 
I tried some surface lures to start (as always) just in case there was some surface potential, and was rewarded with a small kingie eating my brand new Mirro Minnow, but the hooks pulled after about five seconds and then no more action on the top.
I then moved on to my brand new Mirrodine Mini, which is a slow sinking, subsurface lipless twitchbait. An awesome looking little lure that I was dying to try for the stubborn perch. Sure enough I got a little perch quickly, by working the lure with a slow injured twitch near some rocks.

I was delighted to catch something on my brand new lure, and especially when things were tough!
 
Not long after that it was followed by a bigger fatter perch, which I actually saw coming up and gently inhaling the lure as I twitched it over the structure where he lived.

On 8lb braid and very light tackle, these little guys give a great account of themselves!
 
I then decided to try out a DOA shrimp that I have been waiting for ages to try, so tied it on and cast it out. I was working it very slowly, allowing it plenty of time to slow sink and dead drift between twitches, when it was gobbled up by a very greedy, but tiny Bigeye Kingfish. It was great to know that the lure was working, and even if it was a tiny kingfish, it was a fish when fish were not showing themselves.

Note how the little kingie left nothing to chance and gobbled the lure right down the hatch! Luckily the lure has just one single hook on it and it was easy to get it out and release the kingie to grow and fight another day. By the way, has anybody noticed the fashionable shirt that I am wearing yet?
 
I persevered with the DOA Shrimp some more and just before I had to call it a day and rush home for lunch I got my best pull of the morning. I was slow drifting the shrimp over some submerged rocks, with just the occasional small twich, when the line flickered and went briefly tight, then slack again. I cast back at the spot and did the same again, and sure enough same result, but too quick to strike and set the hook. A third cast at the same spot, and I was thinking, on a slow day will a fish really be fooled 3 times by the same lure when the line went tight and I set the hook, ON! The fish really wanted that shrimp!!! It was a little river snapper, that did its best to get amongst the barnacles, but wasn't big enough to take control. A lekker fight, and a lekker fish to end what had been a really pleasant morning!

 My new lures had proven themselves to be up to the task, and I look forward to giving them a proper swim when the water warms up in summer!

Online REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Estuary session this morning
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 05:51:03 PM »
Lovely stuff Tommo... that's just ACE fishing in Winter conditions!!  (clap)


CHECK THE SHIRT!!! What a posh and slick dresser!!  :hehe:

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Estuary session this morning
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 06:14:04 PM »
Great stuff, Tommo. You're styling in that shirt.  :win:
 :shk You are only able to see the size of your DOA shrimp in the last photo of the River Snapper, that Bigeye Kingy was really hungry!  :hehe:

Online REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Estuary session this morning
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 07:10:29 PM »
It would make a nice ad?  :hehe:

Hijack...  sry

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Estuary session this morning
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 07:12:37 PM »
Lololololol.... The shirt was the 1st thing I noticed !

Great catches Tommo, that's some awesome stuff as usual !

Offline Rods

  • R.I.P. our good friend
  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 469
  • Cred: 39
  • Location: Empangeni; KZN
Re: Estuary session this morning
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 07:37:34 PM »
It would make a nice ad?  :hehe:

Hijack...  sry
I likes.  (clap) (clap)

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: Estuary session this morning
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 07:52:17 PM »
 (clap) .... some great catches in cold conditions... nice shirt Tommo... :win:

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Estuary session this morning
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 08:58:08 PM »
Great report Tommo... and the shirt makes it even more interesting!

When you say the water was could, how could do you reckon? 15, 18, 20o C?
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Tommo

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1188
  • Cred: 220
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pennington
Re: Estuary session this morning
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 09:34:16 PM »
Hi Marcos, It wasn't less than 20 degrees, but cold for here. The river water was cooler than the sea water, so it was fairly unusual that the fish were caught in the upper reaches of the river. I moved around a bit and tried down near the mouth, where the water was warmer, but no action at all. The water was also the cleanest I have seen it in that river in months.

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Estuary session this morning
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 09:38:25 PM »
Thanks... I've been paying attention to this since last winter we had 17o C in the bay and the bottom fishing was dismal... we could spot them with the fishfinder but they simply were not interested (makes sense!).

I guess for tropical/sub-tropical areas, water temps around 20o C or below are just too cold...
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline strandloper

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 588
  • Cred: 66
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney, Australia
Re: Estuary session this morning
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 12:28:16 AM »
Another great report Tommo,

Good test of those lures given the winter months.

Would be interesting to see how they perform later in the year, but I suspect that you have one or two  :win: there
Num 6: 24 -26

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Estuary session this morning
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 06:14:22 AM »
 :FST: now I feel like I dress like one of the pros! Or should I say the pros dress like me :hehe: good to see that some of the KZN estuaries still hold fish

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Estuary session this morning
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 08:14:54 AM »
What an awesome report Tommo  :envy lovely fish there!

How active are the snapper and perch in Winter compared to Summer?

Offline Tommo

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1188
  • Cred: 220
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pennington
Re: Estuary session this morning
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 08:19:11 AM »
Snapper and perch are usually less aggressive during the winter months. Sometimes you wonder whether they are still in the system at all, but they are resident.

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Estuary session this morning
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 08:23:15 AM »
Cool, lovely fish Tommo  (clap)

Offline Bushbuck2

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 90
  • Cred: 4
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Estuary session this morning
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 08:43:13 AM »
Snapper and perch are usually less aggressive during the winter months. Sometimes you wonder whether they are still in the system at all, but they are resident.

Tommo did u get those tail flicking prawns from oz? i cant wait to give mine a go.

Offline Willie

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2033
  • Cred: 237
  • Gender: Male
  • Ultimate Novice
  • Location: Nelspruit Mpumalanga
Re: Estuary session this morning
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 08:45:56 AM »
Great stuff Tommo and nice report. (clap) . The best shirt on the market!!
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at office

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Estuary session this morning
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 08:47:20 AM »
It would make a nice ad?  :hehe:

Hijack...  sry
Reefman - where do you get those UA stickers for fish?????

J-Rock

  • Guest
Re: Estuary session this morning
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 08:52:43 AM »
 :tkx: for a lekka report!

Offline Tommo

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1188
  • Cred: 220
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pennington
Re: Estuary session this morning
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 08:56:13 AM »
Hi Bushbuck2, I haven't got them. I had some friends coming over from Aus, but they didn't manage to get them for me. They look good though. I am enjoying the DOA shrimps, they don't have the bend in the body, flicking action, but have a very good natural sink, and look great in the water.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal