Author Topic: Wading Boots for the Vaal  (Read 4733 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Fishy

  • The GT we all aspire to..
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 72
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Waikato, New Zealand
Wading Boots for the Vaal
« on: January 27, 2012, 03:33:13 PM »
Gents,
 
I'm looking for wading boots, especially for wading in the vaal river in search of yellows.
 
Any tips or recommendations, i.e. rubber soles vs felt, type and brand, etc., will be appreciated.

wernerm

  • Guest
Re: Wading Boots for the Vaal
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 04:14:43 PM »
If I had to buy a new pair I'd definitely go for Chota's. I've got the felt sole ones, they've lasted me 5 seasons and they still look brand new. It's the same ones as Herman Jooste's got.

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Wading Boots for the Vaal
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 06:43:46 PM »
I'm by no means an expert, had my 1st ever Vaal Shuufle on Sunday, and saw my gat !
The felt soled ones are the best, Rory, Nico and Herman swear by them, and that's good enough for me !

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Wading Boots for the Vaal
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 08:50:39 PM »
For a first buy the Chota's are good ito of price and wearability. My first pair lasted 3 years, fishing around 30 - 40 times a year.
 
Being a "fool" I bought a pair of Allbrights on recommendation at twice the price, and gave my Chota's to a student. The Allbrights didn't last a year.I bought another pair, thinking maybe I had not looked after them propery. They fell apart after 13 months.
 
Guess what, I'm wearing Chota's again. w;k
 
There are other reasonably priced boots on the market, i.e. Snowbee's, around the same price, as the Chota's. I can not comment though as I have never owned any or had first reports on them.
 
Then you get the "TOP END", like the SIMMS Freestones, etc. After many adverse reports on Flytalk, it appears that these boots are Top End on price only :shk , with boots falling apart after only 6 trips on the Cape Streams :unhap 
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: Wading Boots for the Vaal
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 07:26:48 PM »
what do you pay for and where can you get Chotas? I used to use my hitech boots which were not bad but still slipped around a bit.
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline Hooch

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 330
  • Cred: 33
  • Gender: Male
  • Fear no Fish
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Wading Boots for the Vaal
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 08:02:41 PM »
They about R500 to R600 a pop!

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Wading Boots for the Vaal
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 02:15:04 PM »
I would definitely go with the felt soled chotas. I dont think that anything else in their price bracket will come close.
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Fishy

  • The GT we all aspire to..
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 72
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Waikato, New Zealand
Re: Wading Boots for the Vaal
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 01:16:07 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I had a look at the Adams creek @ around R700 and the STL plus at around R1200-R1600. The only difference I can see is that the felt sole of the STL can be removed and replaced.

What type of chota's would you recommend

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Wading Boots for the Vaal
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 02:29:02 PM »
I'd say its up to your budget. My "Abrahams Creek" have at least four seasons behind them and all I've managed is to snap one lace. Very good value for money. Just remember to clean all the mud off the felt before leaving them to dry! :win:

wernerm

  • Guest
Re: Wading Boots for the Vaal
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 05:19:06 PM »
Ja but remember you are swimming most of the time  w;k


Just kidding, must check those out when i see you again

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal