Author Topic: kob on fly  (Read 4477 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Kent

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 836
  • Cred: 72
  • Gender: Male
  • Gonubie
  • Location: Gonubie
kob on fly
« on: September 18, 2014, 09:16:33 AM »
Then we headed to deeper water and drifted some nymphs which proved successful and I landed a nice yellow on a Orange hot spot.
:win: ...Nice Mr Erwin...NOW...bring those flys and come hook a kobbie or 2!!!!
Just GO FISH!!!


Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
Re: Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 09:23:08 AM »
Hahaha u think a kob will take a Hot Spot Nymph! w;k
Reach for a bream!

Offline Kent

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 836
  • Cred: 72
  • Gender: Male
  • Gonubie
  • Location: Gonubie
Re: Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 09:29:41 AM »
Hahaha u think a kob will take a Hot Spot Nymph! w;k
:hnthnt: ...2011...Im fishing at my local fave spot I call Devils...300m from front door...Its a waist deep 20m wade onto the pinnacle I gooi off...when the conditions are right...the kobbies are always there...very brickie!!...This particuliar AM Im wading out and as I get onto the pinnacle a laaitie (whom I dont know from a bar of soap) is following me...He hops up next to me and says ...Oompie...kan ek ma saam hieso met jou gooi??...I check this okie out...he has a fly rod etc etc set up...and I smile and tune him...No probs...BUT just dont hook me in the ear with dem flys....I give a meter or 2 space , as the Devils pinnacle is only really good for 2 okies with regular rock and surf gear...I start gooing and after 20 odd throws ..not a nod...This okie has now cast about three times and doing a fairly slow retrieve...2 casts later he is ON!!...Lands a 4 kayer!!!...Respect!!...Funny thing...never seen that laaitie again!!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 09:30:42 AM by Kent »
Just GO FISH!!!


Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
Re: Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 09:45:51 AM »
Flip that is one of my goals, Kob on fly  :shk :happ:
Reach for a bream!

Offline Kent

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 836
  • Cred: 72
  • Gender: Male
  • Gonubie
  • Location: Gonubie
Re: Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 09:59:19 AM »
Flip that is one of my goals, Kob on fly  :shk :happ:
:hnthnt: ...Jip....when the wind is down I often see 2 okies gooing fly in the Gonubie surf...yet to see them land anything....
Just GO FISH!!!


Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 10:13:11 AM »
Hahaha how long did that fight last? :hnthnt:

7/8min and I lost
Squid Happens!

Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
Re: Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 10:33:09 AM »
Hahaha how long did that fight last? :hnthnt:

7/8min and I lost


You need a 7/8 wt rod  :hehe: :hehe:
Reach for a bream!

Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
Re: Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 10:34:28 AM »
Flip that is one of my goals, Kob on fly  :shk :happ:
:hnthnt: ...Jip....when the wind is down I often see 2 okies gooing fly in the Gonubie surf...yet to see them land anything....
Is Gonubie good? :dunno:
Reach for a bream!

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 10:39:34 AM »
Hahaha how long did that fight last? :hnthnt:

7/8min and I lost


You need a 7/8 wt rod  :hehe: :hehe:

I did not target it it just took the fly.

you and kent:
Squid Happens!

Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
Re: kob on fly
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 04:10:45 PM »
What fly would work best for cob? :dunno:
Reach for a bream!

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: kob on fly
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 07:20:52 PM »
Theres a group of three guys that visit Struis sometimes , and I have seen them doing really really well on Fly for Kob , Even over the bricks they landed a few good fish , flies was Clousers , and Decievers , and baitfish pattern tied by them ...


I was really amazed , to see them being so successful , they even caught at night ....
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline David Taylor

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 234
  • Cred: 10
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Greyton, Western Cape
Re: kob on fly
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 08:22:29 PM »
I think that's Conrad Botes. He is one of South Africa's best Saltwater Fly fishermen. His latest goal has been catching some decent cob on fly and he has been focusing on working out cob in the surf and off the rocks. He has done a couple of articles in Complete Fly Fisherman. Here is a quick report of an evening in struis area
http://feathersandfluoro.com/2013/12/14/kob-in-the-surf/

Offline David Taylor

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 234
  • Cred: 10
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Greyton, Western Cape
Re: kob on fly
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 09:26:46 PM »
Here is another report of an evening at struis. It isn't mentioned but I am 99% sure its somewhere around struisbaai.
http://feathersandfluoro.com/2014/02/24/kob-addiction-continued/


Here is a short description of a good cob fly
http://feathersandfluoro.com/2013/12/02/dusky-kob-and-the-sponge-bob-slider/


And a step by step for the fly
http://feathersandfluoro.com/2014/01/28/tying-the-sponge-bob/




Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
Re: kob on fly
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 10:08:45 AM »
That is some awesome info thanks for sharing Davin!!! :tkx:  Now to find some of those bass popper things :hnthnt:
Reach for a bream!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal