ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Shore Angling => THE GRINDER REVOLUTION => Topic started by: REEFMAN on September 23, 2011, 10:41:38 AM

Title: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: REEFMAN on September 23, 2011, 10:41:38 AM
 :FST:

With the way R/S medium to heavy tackle is moving, we decided that this 'new' facet of angling needs a section on it's own...

For all your ideas and threads related to using Fixed spool reels (Grinders) with heavy braid... this is the section to got to. Enjoy!

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/board,92.0.html (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/board,92.0.html)

Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Homie on September 23, 2011, 10:42:47 AM
 :tkx: !!!

 :uarocks
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: deezynking on September 23, 2011, 11:08:49 AM
 :FST: :resp:
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: bigfish on September 23, 2011, 08:27:35 PM
hi guys,
 
A start up kit 1st. Yes every angler wants the best reel & rod in the market. And some of us are prepared to spend huge amounts of money. Ive chkd anglers jump into some thing spending loads of money, but only to find out that all the effort was not really worth it, cause it's not their style.
 
So, what to do. In my experience work with what u already have. I have a grinder & a rod that's been collecting dust. All that was needed was the braid. I 1stly worked with that & upon my satisfaction, then only did I upgrade. If I disliked the grinder style, I would have lost nothing.
 
The braid that Im currently using is 48lb Gator, reasonable cost & product. Will be going to the Jigman once I have all the nittigritti sorted.
 
hope this helps.
bigfish
 
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: krissi on September 24, 2011, 07:34:55 AM
I agree bigfish - I want to make sure that I am totally comfortable with the grinder before I commit to spending money - my first obstacle is my huge mental block against grinders. I have a opus 3000 that I am going to play with in the surf before I even think about visiting Margate. Those guys sucker me everytime a coconut!  :cnfzd
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Half-Pint on September 24, 2011, 07:45:04 AM
I agree and disagree. I agree that going out and spending money wildly and then not using the tackle is a waste. Having said that the new ultegras and the ned grinder blanks are very different to anything we have used before. In order to gain the full benefits you need to do it properly
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Angler 1 on September 24, 2011, 10:36:51 AM
ive only had small grinders, so i got one that will work when i got to moz and i used it for surf casting and it works !!! i may loose a little distance cause the spool is not a big pit but i have enough bulk to push it long lol and still enjoy thebenefits of a super smooth drag and back bone , hence i am staying with my sarogossa 18000F i just a super duper rod by gremlins that is designed for coffe grinder t flex/6 - i swopped my TN 50 of 3 years for a new sarogossa so i just paid for braid and the rod , my total bill R2500 not too shabby ! :geet
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Angler 1 on September 24, 2011, 02:06:02 PM
I wish we had more variety when it comes to the reels , right now its just the Ultegra !
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Half-Pint on September 24, 2011, 03:17:39 PM
Daiwa will catch up ....eventually!
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: mukiwa on September 24, 2011, 06:07:19 PM
whats wrong with the Daiwa saltiga surf???these reels are also big pit reels,have excellent drags,awesome cranking power.i am thinking of investing in the 4500 and the 6000.
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Half-Pint on September 24, 2011, 06:26:43 PM
The Daiwas have an issue with the retainer plate. Under pressure it bends and at R1200 to fix it is not an easy fix. Also bear in mind the Ultegra is R2000 the Saltiga is nearly R6k
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: bigfish on September 24, 2011, 06:44:15 PM
Well coming to liking of reels, evry1 has a personal choice. To me, my current reel that I'm using is the Mitchell Avocsat 8000, having liked it over the Altegra cause of it strength. The spool on the Avocast is ventulated, allowing your spooled braid if wet to also dry from inside out. And, the gears are much more sturdy than that of the Ultegra. The disadvantage of the reel(Avocast) is the line capacity, the Ultegra 1400 managers abt 600-650m, the Avocast only settles for arnd 400m of 50lb braid.
 
My starter pack was a Daiwa BG60 & a Loomis standard with 3 tips. So my only upgrade was the Avocast, & the only reason that most will upgrade to the new grinders are mainly because of the long-range casting spools. If only the BG60 had the long range casting spool I would have not need the upgrade. All I did to the rod was change the eyes to suit the grinder. & as for the bionic finger, I purchased it & simply cabletied it to to the rod to were it suited me.
 
any takers.....
bigfish
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Nemesis. on September 24, 2011, 08:57:17 PM
Daiwa has already come to the game with the new Daiwa Windcast Z5500, and boy is she a beauty!!Might be getting one this week, depending on my budget!Can't wait!! :hnthnt: I am a Shimano fan, but i just got to try this reel :hehe:
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Angler 1 on September 25, 2011, 06:56:03 AM
i stand corrected but this rel has been out for a while now , and its under 2k , im not sure what ill get but the ultegra has been proven , so maybe after someone has put this through its paces ill have a look at it , i was intrigued by the avocast aswell but never saw o ne in cape town stores yet  :dunno:
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Angler 1 on September 25, 2011, 07:32:28 AM
is this not a carp reel ?
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Half-Pint on September 25, 2011, 07:45:29 AM
Don check out the Ultegra reviews from overseas. This is exactly what they use the Ultegra for! Massive overkill IMO
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: mukiwa on September 25, 2011, 09:12:50 AM
it is a carp reel,or in fancy terms a big pit real which was designed primarily for specimen carp angling and long distance casting,somehow it found its way into the rock&surf fishermans tackleboxes,my concern however as 1/2 pint mentioned yesterday that there top end reels the saltiga surf have retainer plate issues,surely this problem will also be found in their cheeper models,someone who tested the saltiga surf extensively is dean pretorius ex esa and now rsd,i would like to hear his opinion on the matter,the more info we can get the better choice we will be able to make :dwa: :shmno:
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Nemesis. on September 25, 2011, 09:14:10 AM
Jep most of the Robson Greens lol use these reels for carp......i'll do a review of the reel after i hook a few fish with it w;k
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Angler 1 on September 25, 2011, 12:30:57 PM
OK GUYS IVE GOT IT!!!!  SHIMANO BULLS EYEXT ITS A BEAUT AND EXACTLY WHAT WE NEED, HOWEVER ITS NOT HERE YET AND DONT KNOW IF THEY GONA BRING IT HERE , WITH THE HUGE DEMAND DONT ANY OF YOU HAVE CONTACTS WITH SHIMANO TO GET THEM HERE , THEY NOT CHEAP BUT WILL BE THE EQUIVELANT IN PRICE TO THE SALTIGA SURF , ILL TAKE ONE FOR SURE ! CAN WE NOT GET SOME INFO ON LOCAL GUYS THTA CAN BRING THIS BABY TO US ?
http://www.tackletester.com/2010/01/shimano-bulls-eye-a-new-surf-weapon-emerges/ (http://www.tackletester.com/2010/01/shimano-bulls-eye-a-new-surf-weapon-emerges/)
 
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: mukiwa on September 25, 2011, 01:13:48 PM
angler 1 :shre: i for one would definately be interested,if they dont have internal issues like the saltiga surf then this would be the go to reel.imo price versus qaulity is a no brainer,over many years i've found that one thing is paramount when it comes to buying fishing tackle is that goed koop is duur koop,yes some cheaper tackle oftened out performs and outlasts top end tackle but this is not the norm.i sometimes feel that south africa is realy far behind when it comes to availability and variety.for eg golf clubs-when one of the top brands launch a new driver or set of irons within 3 months they are normaly available in south africa sometimes sooner,so why should fishing tackle be any different and considering that angling is the largest sport in south africa.i hope the likes of basil maning or rapala vmc will come to the party soooon.
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Manuel Junior on September 25, 2011, 01:26:11 PM
 
The SHIMANO ACERATION
 
 
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,6562.msg92979.html#msg92979 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,6562.msg92979.html#msg92979)
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Half-Pint on September 25, 2011, 01:31:14 PM
What is wrong with the Ultegra?
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Angler 1 on September 25, 2011, 02:03:31 PM
 (bat Nothing ! at all bru but in terms of a say higher in th epecking order option like Torium and Trinidad , if there is an option why not bring it to us , our game has not become cheap , but what the heck if it brings hours of entertainment ill go for , heck if this comes out and i have an Ultegra ill get rid of something to make up the remainder lol! its sad that we should not be exosed to whats out there we, have the best fishing ground from the shore . I was an official at the world champs and the visiting teams were amazed at our fish stock and size that we target here ! so why not South Africa be the Mecca of tackle and accesories ? oh how i wish , dont get me wrong the Ultegra is the boss at this stage , infact mine is in the pipeline already , ill have to source another rod from Gremlins then if this puppy come home lol!!! i just got to keep it away from the wife lol!!!!
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Angler 1 on September 25, 2011, 02:21:24 PM
hows this from Daiwa
http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/product_info/language/en/products_id/354/cPath/23_149_150/surf-fishing/t-surf-castizm-qd.html (http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/product_info/language/en/products_id/354/cPath/23_149_150/surf-fishing/t-surf-castizm-qd.html)
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: bigfish on September 25, 2011, 03:54:20 PM
Ultegras like I mentioned, anglers only turned to this reel because of the long range cast. Hint hint, those anglers that use them for the nationals replace them in about every 6 to 12 months depending on the amount of usage, this tells us something. And from what I gather that upgrade on the Ultegra was done to accomadate SA, referto the c14.
 
 
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Angler 1 on September 25, 2011, 07:18:40 PM
i havejust sent a mail to a japanese company now lets see what they say about bringing the reels in .
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: plonker on September 25, 2011, 08:16:49 PM

The Daiwas have an issue with the retainer plate. Under pressure it bends and at R1200 to fix it is not an easy fix. Also bear in mind the Ultegra is R2000 the Saltiga is nearly R6k

Hi, What retainer plate are you talking about? I have a 4500 which I use every weekend and would like to know if it is bent aswell. It does not feel bent, but then again I do not know which retainer plate.
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Half-Pint on September 25, 2011, 09:23:03 PM
I have only heard this from a guy who services them so send it for a service and they will be able to tell
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: plonker on September 25, 2011, 09:33:44 PM
Hi, which guy? Have you got a phone number or E-mail address? Would like to know which plate you talking about.
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: mukiwa on September 26, 2011, 08:28:23 AM
hi plonker i surfed the net the whole day yesterday and i found no complaints or reviews pertaining to the saltiga surf spining reels,i believe there is not enough information about these reels in south africa for the sole reason that they are pricey and therefore  fewer sold compared to the ultegras,i've made my decission and i am going to purchase the 4500 and the 6000 and have blou draad,pliers,a litre of brandy and a 2lt coke on hand just in case for the :cout: :dor: :gt: :grk: :blktl: :stray: :shd: :hehe:
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: WalkersKiller on September 26, 2011, 08:37:13 AM
Awesome new board thanks Reefz  :FST:
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Half-Pint on September 26, 2011, 08:41:35 AM
Plonker check your PM
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: plonker on September 26, 2011, 06:55:06 PM
Hi, I phoned kingfisher in Durban today I think they are the biggest daiwa agents in KZN as far as I know. Asked them weather they know of the problem. They said they have sold quite a few 4500 and 6000's and to there knowledge have had no come backs. They also assured me that if there is a problem with the reel daiwa will sort it out. Half pint will phone the people tomorrow. Mukiwa I think you can leave the blou draad at home just drink the brandy and 2lt coke (that's if the fish are not on the bite).
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Manuel Junior on October 02, 2011, 09:27:52 AM
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Toppie on October 02, 2011, 12:53:46 PM
Guys, there is so much competition by the different manufacturers and distributors for a dwindeling (South African) fishing market. It is normal/usual that everytime one brand launches a new product that rivalry develops and that the one will promote theirs at the cost and expense of others.
 
It is my humble opinion that one should not spread hearsay "that you heard from somebody" if you didnt experience, can explain and elucidate on yourself.
 
I believe a fair balance is the objective unbiased reports of technical inspections by people/experts such as Alan Tani and Reefs, and at the end of the day the proof lies in the eating of the pudding.
 
I always maintain that the fish below the water being targeted and caught are not aware and do not see the bling of the equipment pursuing them. I have caught equally nice fish with Sensation fishing rods that cost a 10th of the price of exclusive handmade rods, and I own them all.
 
Be carefull to be caught out by all the marketing hype!
 
 
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Angler 1 on October 02, 2011, 02:15:30 PM
check this , now what we got is the old ci4 i assume this is the improvement on her the super ultegra
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Angler 1 on October 02, 2011, 02:17:05 PM
http://catala.lapalomera.com/angles/veure_articleSUPER%20ULTEGRA%20XSA_0000000284.html (http://catala.lapalomera.com/angles/veure_articleSUPER%20ULTEGRA%20XSA_0000000284.html)
 
read the specs here
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Half-Pint on October 02, 2011, 02:37:02 PM
Clive I assume your comment was in relation to my comments on the Saltigas? The way I see it is that it would be unethical not to inform someone if you have heard of a problem with a reel. If I was spending that kind of tom on a reel I know I would be very upset if it broke 3 months in and no one had warned me. The onus rests on you the purchaser to follow up hearsay and find out the truth.

With regards to the tackle stores, firstly don't expect the importers of a product to tell you that they have had issues. I doubt that the shop I heard this from would bad mouth a product considering the amount of money to be made on it versus another at 1/3 of the price.

I will continue to post every flaw I hear about with any bit of tackle. Posting these flaws means that 1) the importer will hammer the manufacturer to fix the fault 2) we as anglers can come up with a fix. Just think of the Toriums issue with the anti reverse, the addition of a R5 spring eliminates the problem. 3) The purchaser is aware of every possible flaw and can buy accordingly
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Angler 1 on October 02, 2011, 08:43:18 PM
half pint , have you caught anything on that ultegra of yours boet , i hear good stories and then some bad m spoke to a renownwed angler from Natal north coast and he only said good things , i am so confused man as to what reel to get , i have been surfing the net for options , from Penn surf long casting which we cant get here to bulls eye xt from shiamano , just dont wanna hook a bronzie and get busted up in a comp
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Half-Pint on October 02, 2011, 09:23:54 PM
I haven't really had much of a chance to fish with it yet. The only trip its been on was a 2 day trip to the transkei (not ideal grinder territory) that yielded nothing of any real quality. All I managed was some shad so I can't speak from personal experience.
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Ray Hall on October 03, 2011, 03:46:19 PM
and the most important ----> WHERE IS THE FISH ??????




 :wahoo: :cout: :dor: :gt: :yft: :blktl: :pylie: :stray: :shd: :shrk: :trout: :brbel: :carp: :brnz:
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Ray Hall on October 03, 2011, 03:53:14 PM
a springbok angler told me he cast 160/170m with his grinder....  he gets the same distance with his multiplier..... also told me the max that KZN guys gets is up 175m....

Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Half-Pint on October 03, 2011, 03:57:59 PM
Ray I reckon it depends on the angler. If you can already throw your multiplier 150 well that's awesome but most of us are only human and don't get that sort of distance. With a grinder it is much easier to achiever those distances. As for the KZN guys only hitting 175m? Well if I ever hit those distances I will do cartwheels across the beach and jump for joy because that is impressive
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Ray Hall on October 03, 2011, 03:59:16 PM
Ray I reckon it depends on the angler. If you can already throw your multiplier 150 well that's awesome but most of us are only human and don't get that sort of distance. With a grinder it is much easier to achiever those distances. As for the KZN guys only hitting 175m? Well if I ever hit those distances I will do cartwheels across the beach and jump for joy because that is impressive


you and me both buddy hehehe  :-)
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 03, 2011, 04:01:37 PM
I wish I could cast that far, maybe then I would catch fish bigger than 2kgs  :hehe:
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Willie on October 03, 2011, 04:07:38 PM
Thats why I always catch in the gully's only need to cast 5mtr  :hehe:
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 03, 2011, 04:27:44 PM
Thats why I always catch in the gully's only need to cast 5mtr  :hehe:
Exactly Willie  :yipee:
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: REEFMAN on October 03, 2011, 07:47:00 PM
and the most important ----> WHERE IS THE FISH ??????


These good enough Ray? Caught on a Mitchell Avocast...


(http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5587.0;attach=32245;image)


(http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5587.0;attach=32247;image)
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Angler 1 on October 03, 2011, 08:30:52 PM
guys i have had endless nights searching all over the world for the ultimate rel , i have ordered an ultegra today and now awaiting its arrival , i have in the mean time found another reel for my lighter grinder setup its called a tica sceptre 10000 GX and a GE its dirt cheap but the guys are using them overseas for rooster fishing of the surf , it available from MIas at 600 a pop full aluminium consruction all the bells and whistles , a few guys have used them locally and have had great succes , the GE model is lighter adn sell at western acces for 399 , they are clearing stock so thats why its so cheap , pls leave some for me lol! i will post pics and specs
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Angler 1 on October 03, 2011, 08:34:45 PM
gx 10000
 5 stainless steel rust resistant bearings
 
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Angler 1 on October 03, 2011, 08:41:00 PM
these are all long cast reels
GE 10000
 
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Ray Hall on October 03, 2011, 10:00:57 PM
and the most important ----> WHERE IS THE FISH ??????


These good enough Ray? Caught on a Mitchell Avocast...


(http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5587.0;attach=32245;image)


(http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5587.0;attach=32247;image)


NOW WE TALKING !!!!! AWESOME CATCHES THAT !!!!!!
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Angler 1 on October 07, 2011, 08:12:28 AM
i hope this board is gone quite cause you all are trying out your new grinder set up , lol!!! :fshn:
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Manuel Junior on October 07, 2011, 09:35:22 AM
Daiwa Certate
Specifications:
http://www.daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=597 (http://www.daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=597)
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Manuel Junior on October 07, 2011, 09:44:28 AM
Heavy Action  :cg:
Saltiga 5000H
Specifications
http://www.daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=603 (http://www.daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=603)
 
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Angler 1 on October 07, 2011, 11:43:02 AM
NICE REELS , BUT DAIWA HASNT IMPREESED WITH THEIR LONG CAST SPPOL RANGE , ONLY THREE SALTIGA SURF , EMBLIM PRO AND THE WINDACST , BUT THEN AGAIN I NEVER TESTED SO I CANT SAY , WHO KNOWS THEY MIGHT SHOCK US NEXT MONTH
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Homie on October 07, 2011, 11:53:36 AM
Has anybody had a look at the Accurate spinning reels ?
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: John F on October 07, 2011, 04:31:08 PM
Has anybody had a look at the Accurate spinning reels ?

The price only scares me to death and keeps me away!!!!
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: MIKE PIKE on October 10, 2011, 10:03:36 PM
Heres another Grinder to consider , compliments of www.Daiwa.com (http://www.Daiwa.com) . 
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: super_daav on October 14, 2011, 03:35:39 PM
The Daiwas have an issue with the retainer plate. Under pressure it bends and at R1200 to fix it is not an easy fix. Also bear in mind the Ultegra is R2000 the Saltiga is nearly R6k
Half-Pint this is the first I have heard of the retainer plate bending? Coul you shed some light on this? Which part exactly? Thanks.
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Half-Pint on October 14, 2011, 03:55:35 PM
Please don't steal away all my cred for that comment. If you read further on I did also say that I had not experienced it myself and had only heard this from someone at the local tackle shop who services the reels. While I don't doubt the truth of his statements I may have got the part name wrong. I also said on this thread I think that at the end of the day it is up to the buyer to investigate everything for themselves. I would be very upset if I bought a reel and later found it had an issue that I could have been warned about. Plonker also asked about that issue and I gave him the number for the tackle store where I heard the problem from and plonker hasn't come back to tell us what he found out. Perhaps I need to follow up myself. Not good form for UA to put down a product without any factual grounding
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: super_daav on October 14, 2011, 04:29:52 PM
Haha cred is safe! Was curious as hadn't heard of any issue with those reels. Please give us some feedback if you do find out what the store was referring to. Or maybe Plonker has a little more info?
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Half-Pint on October 17, 2011, 01:21:27 PM
Super_Daav some feedback on the issue. Apparently it was a small plate that holds the worm gear to the spindle shaft if that makes any sense.
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: super_daav on October 17, 2011, 01:55:32 PM
Half pint thanks. i'll admit it doesn't but will try and find out. Cheers.
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: plonker on October 17, 2011, 07:15:40 PM
Hi, have been looking at the dismantled parts chart for the saltiga surf the worm gear is held in place with a circlip, cannot see that costing R1200.00 must be something else.
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Manuel Junior on November 16, 2011, 01:25:26 PM
Penn TRQS9-BBLS Torque Spinning Reel

Details:  http://www.tackledirect.com/penn-trqs9-bbls-torque-spinning-reels.html (http://www.tackledirect.com/penn-trqs9-bbls-torque-spinning-reels.html)
 :appr:
 
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: PH on January 23, 2012, 05:28:51 PM
Grinder sizes 101:

Most grinder sizes are indicated by numbers such as 2500, 3000, 6000, etc.

1 Do these numbers mean anything apart from differentiating between the various sizes?

2. Are these numbers standard between the different brands of grinders?

Thanks in advance.
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Half-Pint on January 23, 2012, 06:32:19 PM
PH unfortunately the numbers mean very little outside of each brand. For instance a 6000 Daiwa is the large reel designed for extreme heavy jigging and popping. In the shimano range its the 20000 that is the largest.

Weirdly shimano don't even stick to their own sizing. A 4000 sienna is the same size as a 2500 slade and the sienna was brought out to replace the slade. Too much confusion for me!
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: dodger on January 23, 2012, 06:47:40 PM
On our charter we use some  Penn Sargus 8000, which is a tough reel, very impressed with it. Also we have some Daiwa Opus Bull 5000 and sealine Bull 6000 that do the job. I managed to get a couple of Shimano Saragossa 18000's and they are great. All these reels are reasonably priced and will do a job. The Penns working on charters have never let us down,
my 2 pennyworth  :hnthnt:
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: PH on January 23, 2012, 06:57:21 PM
Thanks guys.
Brad, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only confused user. w;k
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Angler 1 on February 01, 2012, 10:39:06 AM
cant wait for PENN to bring out a long cast spool surf version, i am working on Shimano to bring in the Bulls Eye XT 9012 but they giving me some up hill hopefully will get it right soon otherwise i have to import myself or buy on e-bay
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: 200ts on February 02, 2012, 10:54:20 AM
Daiwa has already come to the game with the new Daiwa Windcast Z5500, and boy is she a beauty!!Might be getting one this week, depending on my budget!Can't wait!! :hnthnt: I am a Shimano fan, but i just got to try this reel :hehe:

Howzit,  i got myself the cheaper verson, the emblem pro 6000A at cost because they could not sell it :).  Spooled it with 50lbs braid an 50lbs backing and went to test it.  Long story short, hooked what i assume was a kingfish,  that stripped line at a rate of knots.  The more i tightened the quicker it ran.  On max drag the fish pulled about 300m line off in a short period of time and i lost it!  Not because of the reel though.  Afterwards the reel was fine, drag etc.  Longetivity?  i dont know time will tell but i enjoyed it hey.  Nemesis let us know how your reel performs. 
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Nemesis. on February 02, 2012, 08:59:12 PM
Daiwa has already come to the game with the new Daiwa Windcast Z5500, and boy is she a beauty!!Might be getting one this week, depending on my budget!Can't wait!! :hnthnt: I am a Shimano fan, but i just got to try this reel :hehe:

Howzit,  i got myself the cheaper verson, the emblem pro 6000A at cost because they could not sell it :).  Spooled it with 50lbs braid an 50lbs backing and went to test it.  Long story short, hooked what i assume was a kingfish,  that stripped line at a rate of knots.  The more i tightened the quicker it ran.  On max drag the fish pulled about 300m line off in a short period of time and i lost it!  Not because of the reel though.  Afterwards the reel was fine, drag etc.  Longetivity?  i dont know time will tell but i enjoyed it hey.  Nemesis let us know how your reel performs.
Howzit 200ts, my reel is performing flawlessly! Being wading with it lots of times so far, landed over 300kg worth of Greys with it so far, hooked a few fish that gave me a proper hiding and the reel is going strong. Serviced it recently and its still as smooth as the day i got it.......Just need to land something decent with it now, tired of Diamonds and Greys!
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: mohammed on February 28, 2012, 10:51:02 AM
HI guys
i have the daiwa seagate 6000.i get pretty good distance with it. only hooked a  :shd: fishing for sandies. did anyone use that reel?
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Nemesis. on March 19, 2012, 08:55:31 PM
HI guys
i have the daiwa seagate 6000.i get pretty good distance with it. only hooked a  :shd: fishing for sandies. did anyone use that reel?
Its a good reel hey, used my friends one for spinning a few times. You do lose a few meters in a cast, because the Seagate has a deeper spool rather than a tapered spool like on the Ultegra/Windcast, so the further you throw, the greater amount of friction between the braid and the spool lip.
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: CLS on May 31, 2013, 09:14:56 AM
Guys any feedback on the Shimano Bullseye XT for R&S ??, good , bad, average comments please ???
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: REEFMAN on May 31, 2013, 03:31:17 PM
CLS from what I've heard, amongst the Big Pit long spool casting reels, it's ahead of anything else, with the Windcast being a close 2nd.
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: PeterCox on September 30, 2014, 03:17:56 PM
I started off using grinders as the multiplyers scared me alot (casting was a thing I had to learn on my multiplyer)
 
I still have a few grinder set ups. Penn battle not to bad (wouldnt target anything large with her) have a rovex big boy holds loads of line and has some power, nexave 10 000 great little reel and can cast them all a mile, but they not designed for the big fishing, so thats why I moved over to the multiplyer reels, have several of those but my fav is my tor 30 and it casts a mile and can catch almost any fish I want too :)
But would love a grinder that has the ability and power to get into the big big stuff, as I have alwasy liked casting a grinder and still do :)
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Kes on March 20, 2018, 08:10:12 AM
I wasn't part of the grinder revolution so I just read all 4 pages of this thread and its very interesting to see how far things have moved in 5-6 years...


Would be even more interesting to know where the original contributors to this thread are now with their grinder set-ups.. w;k




Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: deepblu on July 23, 2018, 04:15:08 PM
I wasn't part of the grinder revolution so I just read all 4 pages of this thread and its very interesting to see how far things have moved in 5-6 years...


Would be even more interesting to know where the original contributors to this thread are now with their grinder set-ups.. w;k
hi guys been awhile since my last post. looking thru the forum i see there isnt much new info a grinder fiashing pls point me in the right direction if i have missed and recent articals. i have recently bought myself a goas 20k and would like to know wht rod to pair up withwould like to get setup for larger eds and non eds. thank you
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: MIKE PIKE on July 23, 2018, 04:28:26 PM
The new Assassin Horizon range of rods seem to be very popular currently , guys have pulled some decent in-eds and eds with them .
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: deepblu on July 23, 2018, 04:45:56 PM
yes agree mike, thinking of heading in that direction. how would one go about setting up terminal tackle. do you use braid as backing i see the black velvet is popular, and put .45 to .55 as main line followed by leader ?
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: MIKE PIKE on July 23, 2018, 07:42:12 PM
Braid as mainline joined to a braid leader and then short mono + trace , only the braid and leader is on the spool , mono is from tip guide only .
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Angler21 on July 24, 2018, 08:49:02 AM
Rod question,

Is anyone using the Saltist Grinder Elite who can provide an unbiased report on it?  Read all the reviews from the brand ambassadors but would like views from the end users.

Thanks
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: REEFMAN on July 24, 2018, 11:45:56 AM
Haven't heard anything bad about them? I'm using the Saltiga heavy version... beautiful rod.
Title: Re: New Board - the Grinder Revolution!
Post by: Angler21 on July 25, 2018, 07:59:29 AM
Thanks Tony.

I agree. Beautiful rods. I had a closer look at one a few days ago and it felt great.

I need an all rounder for eds and in-eds.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal