ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Jared2608 on July 26, 2015, 02:05:58 PM

Title: Some shad, even one on a plug
Post by: Jared2608 on July 26, 2015, 02:05:58 PM
So I went down to Blue Lagoon on Saturday morning.  It started raining   as I got there, and there was lightning, so I retreated to the car and   waited around until the sun came up, but very nearly decided to leave.    I'm glad I stuck around.

From 6:30 to about 8:30 I caught well   over 30 shad, I stopped counting because it was basically an on every   time I thew a lure in.  I got the four I wanted to keep on a Sensation   T-Spoon in Sardine colour, then switched over to a Cuta Casting since   the single hook is easier when you want to release them.  After I got   bored catching them one for one, I changed over to a plug to see if I   could get lucky and find a garrick that was was around hunting the   shad.  After about 5 or 6 throws with the plugs I got hit, and almost   thought I had my garrick, only to find I had caught another shad. 

I left about 20 minutes later, it was getting really full and the wind was coming up a bit.

All   in all it was great fun, but I'm a bit bummed I didn't get to see the   take on the surface because a wave rolled in and blocked the view of the   plug just as the shad took it.

Here is the one I got on a plug, the first I've got on a topwater:

(http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j389/Jared2608/shodonplug.jpg) (http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/Jared2608/media/shodonplug.jpg.html)

Here are the 4 I decided to keep, they're such a good chow!

(http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j389/Jared2608/shad3.jpg) (http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/Jared2608/media/shad3.jpg.html)
Title: Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
Post by: John F on July 26, 2015, 02:55:54 PM
Well done! Nice catches!
Title: Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
Post by: Jared2608 on July 26, 2015, 03:57:26 PM
Thanks, always good fun getting them on spinning gear.
Title: Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
Post by: REEFMAN on July 26, 2015, 04:37:32 PM
Nice Jared. Hoe come their tails are all clipped? Did you try them as livies?
Title: Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
Post by: Jared2608 on July 26, 2015, 05:11:51 PM
Nah the clipped tails are nothing so exciting.  My dad was with me and when we fish together I end up carrying everything, which is apparently my job.  His shad end up in my shad bag, so I clip the tails on mine to tell them apart.  The bag gets quite heavy but as I said apparently this my job....
Title: Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
Post by: REEFMAN on July 26, 2015, 05:29:41 PM
Nah the clipped tails are nothing so exciting.  My dad was with me and when we fish together I end up carrying everything, which is apparently my job.  His shad end up in my shad bag, so I clip the tails on mine to tell them apart.  The bag gets quite heavy but as I said apparently this my job....

 :rotfl that's so cool! Dad's rule!!
Title: Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
Post by: WalkersKiller on July 26, 2015, 06:12:51 PM
Nice!
Title: Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
Post by: FishStyx on July 26, 2015, 08:27:53 PM
Nice bud... It's awesome to be there when the fish are eating.  :+ cred: on the releases.
Title: Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
Post by: Jared2608 on July 26, 2015, 10:42:34 PM
Thanks, ya when they are wild like that you feel like you're a pro at spinning.  You can imagine a DVD and your own signature series of lures.  Then they go away and you have to target other types of fish and you realise you're never getting that DVD.... :shd: :shd:
Title: Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
Post by: blender on July 26, 2015, 11:30:15 PM
Thanks for sharing that Jared, I'm led to believe that the Shad kept feeding all day at the lugs.
Title: Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
Post by: Jared2608 on July 27, 2015, 07:11:06 AM
Yes, the basically fed through the day, and they fed on Sunday too despite the horrible weather.  They've been behaving like that for at least the last week, where you see people getting them at all times of the day. 
Title: Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
Post by: Steenie on July 27, 2015, 07:21:28 AM
Well done! Yes the shad was thick last week hey! I got my share on spoon between Virginia and Beachwood on Friday. Pity the garrick were not hunting the shad!
Title: Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
Post by: Jared2608 on July 27, 2015, 07:43:55 AM
Yeah no larger predators seemed to be with them.  I didn't notice any shad coming back with damage either, no bit marks or anything so they seemed to be absent completely.
Title: Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
Post by: CLS on July 27, 2015, 10:29:54 AM
Well done on the catches. I heard the shad were raped on the weekend at lugs with nothing being done to stop the slaughter, sad really. :-( plus there were a lot that were undersize. :dunno:
Title: Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
Post by: blender on July 27, 2015, 01:57:37 PM
Rather sad CLS , I believe the rape resumed today, some are even so audacious as to brag about catching 70 Shad on a chat group  swr
Title: Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
Post by: CLS on July 27, 2015, 02:26:14 PM
Rather sad CLS , I believe the rape resumed today, some are even so audacious as to brag about catching 70 Shad on a chat group  swr
I have been following some on FB, when there are no more then they can all starve to death. swr swr <: <: the authorities will do  anything as its too dangerous.
Title: Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
Post by: khaliq on July 27, 2015, 03:36:05 PM
Drove past Blue Lagoon earlier today - graphite forest.


Can't wait for the shad season to end. I can start fishing again.
Title: Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
Post by: shu vawda on July 27, 2015, 05:02:39 PM
Nice catch brother.Its a great feeling when you get them on artificial.


Now hopefully a Garrick on the next trip
Title: Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
Post by: Jared2608 on July 27, 2015, 07:22:48 PM
Yeah I'm hoping for a garrick soon too lol
Title: Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
Post by: CLS on July 28, 2015, 10:27:22 AM
Heard the shad are still being slaughtered today.
Title: Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
Post by: Jared2608 on July 28, 2015, 04:49:32 PM
Apparently they did come out again this morning, they where a bit tougher yesterday.  The ones this morning where apparently bigger with most making size, and I"m told a 4kg one came out as well.  I didn't fish this morning so I can only go on what I'm told.
Title: Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
Post by: Poenie on July 29, 2015, 09:50:25 AM
Well done on your catches, but more importantly, well done on your RELEASES!! Did you witness the poaching?? I'm Cpt based and even I know how bad the situation really is. In Australia, the "marine cops" hide and film poachers, before making the arrest - that way they're nearly guaranteed a conviction!  MCM should do the same, and accompanied by armed Police they should do a raid on the beaches and arrest the lot of them, take all their tackle and fine them! Bloody ludicrous how a blind eye is turned whilst our fish stocks are being raped right in front of our eyes!
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal