ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: smiley6996 on March 15, 2015, 09:08:07 PM

Title: how many lures do you use and how many do you own
Post by: smiley6996 on March 15, 2015, 09:08:07 PM
How's it guys was thinking today while blanking how many lures I own and how many I actually carry and use regularly on an average trip how many lures do you use I reckon I got about 250 lures probably more in my collection but very seldom I use more then 20 lures in a session normally carry about 40 so 3 questions

How many lures do you own
How many do you use in a session
How many do you carry for a days fishing
Title: Re: how many lures do you use and how many do you own
Post by: MIKE PIKE on March 15, 2015, 09:16:45 PM
 :shk got boxes of the stuff (thanks to T.A)  what i do is before a trip away i go thru them all and decide which i need which ends up as most of them .. :hyst: , then when at destination go thru them again and sort out in weight categories and put them in lure boxes so for instance if im going to spin with a light to medium setup , boxes are already sorted , just pack in bag and go , could be between 20 -30 lures in total ....if its the light/med stuff no problem but then the heavier lures become the issue .. :cnfzd
Title: Re: how many lures do you use and how many do you own
Post by: tackle whore on March 15, 2015, 11:18:54 PM
I own way too much , I try to sort them into estuary , surf , boat - but it never works always getting new stuff so now its sorted into -
1. favourites
2. lures fished
3, non fished but out of packaging
4. non fished still in packaging

I try to limit myself too only a few lures depending on what's the target species.......most of the time   
Estuary - 2x spook/zombie killers , 2x lead head, 2x spinner , 2x ear ball jig with plastic - must all fit into a fanny pouch if wading/walking .
surf      - 3x spinner, 2x earball jig with plastic , 2x lead head - same pouch as estuary
boat     - vertical jigs 15 kg , 4x spinners , 4x nylon plugs but all depending on the carry capacity of the boat  :-)
Title: Re: how many lures do you use and how many do you own
Post by: Cam Mundy on March 16, 2015, 08:58:37 AM
I try to pack light :hyst:
Title: Re: how many lures do you use and how many do you own
Post by: smiley6996 on March 16, 2015, 10:04:56 AM
Ok I am pleased to know I am not the only one with a lure problem
Title: Re: how many lures do you use and how many do you own
Post by: smiley6996 on March 16, 2015, 10:08:07 AM
I really believe lures catch more fishermen then they do fish
Title: Re: how many lures do you use and how many do you own
Post by: tackle whore on March 16, 2015, 10:40:23 AM
WHAT NEVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You heretic every lure I buy catches fish , at least that's what I tell my wife .
Title: Re: how many lures do you use and how many do you own
Post by: smiley6996 on March 16, 2015, 11:17:36 AM
I am single that's why my bed wall looks like this plus it helps when you wake up from a dream fighting a giant leery  :grk: and you saw the lure in your dream can check if you got it with out getting out of bed hahaha
Title: Re: how many lures do you use and how many do you own
Post by: Seventenths on March 16, 2015, 12:16:17 PM
I have an exact list of my lures and it is not pretty.... not nearly as many fish caught... I would be embarrassed to say how many lures I have here.... :blush: ... It will also be worse when I update the list as I was given a pile more for the last marlin compi and won a box full in the compi...
Title: Re: how many lures do you use and how many do you own
Post by: Ziggy on March 16, 2015, 12:16:37 PM
It would take too long and I cant count to very high figures - so I give up
Title: Re: how many lures do you use and how many do you own
Post by: Shaun17 on March 16, 2015, 12:20:05 PM
This is what isn't in boxes and not counting plastics...


Oh... used most of them at some point but would say i use about 5% of them 80% of the time.


(http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/MGalleryItem.php?id=2467)
Title: Re: how many lures do you use and how many do you own
Post by: BAUMANNATOR on March 16, 2015, 12:33:12 PM
Don't tell the missus, but here are some for the rivers in the EC, not including those in my tackle bags and hidden back-ups.
Title: Re: how many lures do you use and how many do you own
Post by: smiley6996 on March 16, 2015, 12:34:16 PM
Yip most of us got way more lures then we need but how many do you carry and how many do you fish with as shaun17 says 5% of his lures get used regularly is this common or do you guys use everything you own
Title: Re: how many lures do you use and how many do you own
Post by: Lenny on March 16, 2015, 12:39:20 PM
I have plenty .


But when I am fishing I hardly take more than 10 for rivers or the surf .


Sometimes , I will only take 2 of a kind  , I firmly believe in really working a lure , hence when fishing I don't chop and change a lot and can get away with 4 to six lures in my pouch .


When storing or rinsing lures of , an old curtain rail with those Curtian clips on makes a really nice rack for your lures .and the more lures you have , you can just add more clips .

Admitting I have plenty that's never seen water .
Title: Re: how many lures do you use and how many do you own
Post by: smiley6996 on March 16, 2015, 12:48:32 PM
This evil bag makes me carry far to many lures but I am always scared fish want something I didn't bring with so carry my self dead most days on the river I only use one lure but still take 50 incase
Title: Re: how many lures do you use and how many do you own
Post by: Big B on March 16, 2015, 12:55:09 PM
Jeepers, you guys, we are all tackel addicts, cant we setup a support  group for ourselves, I must confess I also have many lures, and most of them have never been close to water, always use tne same favourites.
Title: Re: how many lures do you use and how many do you own
Post by: smiley6996 on March 16, 2015, 01:11:36 PM
I think you got a plan there tackle addicts anonymous hi my name is smiley and I have a lure problem and it's worse cause with  :ult: you just post a pic and you get a lure thanks to zombie lures this was inmy post box today
Title: Re: how many lures do you use and how many do you own
Post by: Zak-e-Boy on March 16, 2015, 02:10:59 PM
Just a small tip to those of you with lot'se lures and if you do sharpen your hooks especially the trebles, I have found that by coating the points with a "permanent marker" before storing will prevent rust from forming the newly sharpened surface. I use a black marker. Give it a try it works. 
Title: Re: how many lures do you use and how many do you own
Post by: smiley6996 on March 16, 2015, 02:37:40 PM
Just a small tip to those of you with lot'se lures and if you do sharpen your hooks especially the trebles, I have found that by coating the points with a "permanent marker" before storing will prevent rust from forming the newly sharpened surface. I use a black marker. Give it a try it works.

Very use full tip my hooks never last long I am obsessed with sharpening them carry a hook sharper will definitely try this
Title: Re: how many lures do you use and how many do you own
Post by: Seventenths on March 16, 2015, 04:46:08 PM
I think you got a plan there tackle addicts anonymous hi my name is smiley and I have a lure problem and it's worse cause with  :ult: you just post a pic and you get a lure thanks to zombie lures this was inmy post box today

Smiley.. we have a dedicated addicts thread (TA) - Tackle addiction.. have a look at all the confessions there....
 
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=12232.0 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=12232.0)
Title: Re: how many lures do you use and how many do you own
Post by: Seventenths on March 16, 2015, 04:52:58 PM
Just a small tip to those of you with lot'se lures and if you do sharpen your hooks especially the trebles, I have found that by coating the points with a "permanent marker" before storing will prevent rust from forming the newly sharpened surface. I use a black marker. Give it a try it works.

I am going to try that Zak... I also buy from the darts section of sports shops the small round stones for sharpening darts with the hole in the middle - you stick your dart in and work it in a circular motion. They work on hooks too. Make sure you have a separate one for steel and SS or the contaminate your hooks and get the very fine ones if you can.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal