ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Kent on September 18, 2014, 09:16:33 AM

Title: kob on fly
Post by: Kent on September 18, 2014, 09:16:33 AM
Then we headed to deeper water and drifted some nymphs which proved successful and I landed a nice yellow on a Orange hot spot.
:win: ...Nice Mr Erwin...NOW...bring those flys and come hook a kobbie or 2!!!!
Title: Re: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 18, 2014, 09:23:08 AM
Hahaha u think a kob will take a Hot Spot Nymph! w;k
Title: Re: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kent on September 18, 2014, 09:29:41 AM
Hahaha u think a kob will take a Hot Spot Nymph! w;k
:hnthnt: ...2011...Im fishing at my local fave spot I call Devils...300m from front door...Its a waist deep 20m wade onto the pinnacle I gooi off...when the conditions are right...the kobbies are always there...very brickie!!...This particuliar AM Im wading out and as I get onto the pinnacle a laaitie (whom I dont know from a bar of soap) is following me...He hops up next to me and says ...Oompie...kan ek ma saam hieso met jou gooi??...I check this okie out...he has a fly rod etc etc set up...and I smile and tune him...No probs...BUT just dont hook me in the ear with dem flys....I give a meter or 2 space , as the Devils pinnacle is only really good for 2 okies with regular rock and surf gear...I start gooing and after 20 odd throws ..not a nod...This okie has now cast about three times and doing a fairly slow retrieve...2 casts later he is ON!!...Lands a 4 kayer!!!...Respect!!...Funny thing...never seen that laaitie again!!
Title: Re: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 18, 2014, 09:45:51 AM
Flip that is one of my goals, Kob on fly  :shk :happ:
Title: Re: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kent on September 18, 2014, 09:59:19 AM
Flip that is one of my goals, Kob on fly  :shk :happ:
:hnthnt: ...Jip....when the wind is down I often see 2 okies gooing fly in the Gonubie surf...yet to see them land anything....
Title: Re: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 18, 2014, 10:13:11 AM
Hahaha how long did that fight last? :hnthnt:

7/8min and I lost
Title: Re: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 18, 2014, 10:33:09 AM
Hahaha how long did that fight last? :hnthnt:

7/8min and I lost


You need a 7/8 wt rod  :hehe: :hehe:
Title: Re: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 18, 2014, 10:34:28 AM
Flip that is one of my goals, Kob on fly  :shk :happ:
:hnthnt: ...Jip....when the wind is down I often see 2 okies gooing fly in the Gonubie surf...yet to see them land anything....
Is Gonubie good? :dunno:
Title: Re: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 18, 2014, 10:39:34 AM
Hahaha how long did that fight last? :hnthnt:

7/8min and I lost


You need a 7/8 wt rod  :hehe: :hehe:

I did not target it it just took the fly.

you and kent:
(http://web.orange.co.uk/images/ice/quirkies/hijack_alert_photolibrary.jpg)
Title: Re: kob on fly
Post by: gavin erwin on September 18, 2014, 04:10:45 PM
What fly would work best for cob? :dunno:
Title: Re: kob on fly
Post by: Lenny on September 19, 2014, 07:20:52 PM
Theres a group of three guys that visit Struis sometimes , and I have seen them doing really really well on Fly for Kob , Even over the bricks they landed a few good fish , flies was Clousers , and Decievers , and baitfish pattern tied by them ...


I was really amazed , to see them being so successful , they even caught at night ....
Title: Re: kob on fly
Post by: David Taylor on September 19, 2014, 08:22:29 PM
I think that's Conrad Botes. He is one of South Africa's best Saltwater Fly fishermen. His latest goal has been catching some decent cob on fly and he has been focusing on working out cob in the surf and off the rocks. He has done a couple of articles in Complete Fly Fisherman. Here is a quick report of an evening in struis area
http://feathersandfluoro.com/2013/12/14/kob-in-the-surf/ (http://feathersandfluoro.com/2013/12/14/kob-in-the-surf/)
Title: Re: kob on fly
Post by: David Taylor on September 19, 2014, 09:26:46 PM
Here is another report of an evening at struis. It isn't mentioned but I am 99% sure its somewhere around struisbaai.
http://feathersandfluoro.com/2014/02/24/kob-addiction-continued/ (http://feathersandfluoro.com/2014/02/24/kob-addiction-continued/)


Here is a short description of a good cob fly
http://feathersandfluoro.com/2013/12/02/dusky-kob-and-the-sponge-bob-slider/ (http://feathersandfluoro.com/2013/12/02/dusky-kob-and-the-sponge-bob-slider/)


And a step by step for the fly
http://feathersandfluoro.com/2014/01/28/tying-the-sponge-bob/ (http://feathersandfluoro.com/2014/01/28/tying-the-sponge-bob/)



Title: Re: kob on fly
Post by: gavin erwin on September 20, 2014, 10:08:45 AM
That is some awesome info thanks for sharing Davin!!! :tkx:  Now to find some of those bass popper things :hnthnt:
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal