ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: carll on June 19, 2014, 06:47:05 PM

Title: Jigheads
Post by: carll on June 19, 2014, 06:47:05 PM
Where can I get decent Jig-heads for my McCarthy lures.[/size]In the picture below looks like a decent Jighead and I know [/size]its available here in SA.
Title: Re: Jigheads
Post by: Lenny on June 19, 2014, 07:28:44 PM
I have been using a few brands , but have a look at MAD mullet jigheads.
Title: Re: Jigheads
Post by: carll on June 19, 2014, 07:55:31 PM
Hi thanks Lenny  :tkx:
Title: Re: Jigheads
Post by: pieta on June 19, 2014, 09:37:41 PM
You can get them from coastal marine.  Saw them there.
Title: Re: Jigheads
Post by: carll on June 19, 2014, 09:47:10 PM
Hi Pieta,thank you for your reply. Do you know it Coastal Marine have a website because im in Gauteng.
Title: Re: Jigheads
Post by: pieta on June 20, 2014, 06:16:35 AM
I'm not sure.  Just try and google it. I usely vissit the branch in P E on the habour.
Title: Re: Jigheads
Post by: carll on June 20, 2014, 07:11:57 AM
Thanks Pieta,I already Google it and get only info about Marine stuff .. hahaha
Title: Re: Jigheads
Post by: Lenny on June 20, 2014, 07:57:16 AM
Pieta are you not perhaps referring to commercial marine ?  Mad mullet had a website and are on fb.
Title: Re: Jigheads
Post by: pieta on June 20, 2014, 07:59:58 AM
Sorry my fault. It's commercial marine. Been to long away from home, luckily I will be back at home tommorow night.
Title: Re: Jigheads
Post by: Clent. on June 20, 2014, 09:57:30 AM
Hi Guys
Commercial Marine is situated on Boksburg, Cnr Northrand Rd & Herman Pieterse Str, u can contact Richard on 0118233184
Title: Re: Jigheads
Post by: shagnrelease on June 20, 2014, 10:33:10 AM
Without doubt, Colin Parker is your guy to contact. these guys make the best jig heads I have used and at fair pricing compared to the imports.
I think Tommo uses them a lot as well.
0824101fiveoneone
Title: Re: Jigheads
Post by: GT Mayhem on June 20, 2014, 10:47:50 AM
got any pics of those jigheads?
Title: Re: Jigheads
Post by: FishStyx on June 20, 2014, 01:14:23 PM
Do Mad Mullet come anywhere close to Nitro's? Hopefully not on price...
Title: Re: Jigheads
Post by: Lenny on June 20, 2014, 01:38:59 PM
Do Mad Mullet come anywhere close to Nitro's? Hopefully not on price...


Will be for sure cheaper that Nitros . MM are made in SA , so cheaper that to import i Quess ...


the Couple of Nitros I have , are thicker gauge hooks , I use mine from the boat .


The MM are a whole range , but generally thinner gauge hooks , For surf and river use dropshot/Paddletails ideal . I prefer the ball head jig , but have a few 'shad type' shape too  , you could just buy a few eyes and epoxy them to the 'blank' jughead too .
Title: Re: Jigheads
Post by: FishStyx on June 20, 2014, 01:43:59 PM
Thx Lenny. I have had some extremely dodgy jigheads in the past so I've tended to stick to the Nitros with their Owner hooks despite the exorbitant price. I tend to use jigheads mainly for Kingies so hook strength is a huge factor for me.
Title: Re: Jigheads
Post by: Cage on June 20, 2014, 02:51:29 PM
Guys, for those keen, get in touch with Shaun at madmullet. Apart from the heads that are on the website (mustad hooks and generally ok for estuary and lighter surf use), they do one with owner hooks which they supply to some of the operators in Seychelles that are better priced than the nitros (and always lekker to support local). I placed an oder about a week back to top up supplies. think they do 1/2oz 5/0, 3/4oz 5/0, 1oz 5/0, 2oz 7/0 and 3oz 7/0 - . Also good to see that they have given thought to the application of the heads using hooks with wider gaps to ensure more clearence out of the plastics.........
I hear you guys on tough lessons with cheap heads  duh ....
Title: Re: Jigheads
Post by: Lenny on June 20, 2014, 03:49:43 PM
I have had some dodgy ones to , Damiki , or something like that , hooks just broke .
Title: Re: Jigheads
Post by: LGF on June 20, 2014, 07:52:18 PM
Lenny, how did those jigheads hold up? And any luck with the tails?
Title: Re: Jigheads
Post by: Lenny on June 20, 2014, 08:32:29 PM
Lenny, how did those jigheads hold up? And any luck with the tails?


Felt a bit under gunned with  the small hooks , but they ate your PD like theres no tomorrow they chewed every colour you sent me [ used the Nitros as per my Post up top] 


The ones I got from you , IMO are for fast fishing ,leeries and Elf , Kingies ext , and I just threw them for Kob , so I , can't really tell you .
Title: Re: Jigheads
Post by: LGF on June 20, 2014, 09:04:34 PM
Good to know, happy to hear the Paddles got eaten. Busy building (collection info and sourcing suppliers for now) a CNC milling machine, this means that soon, (as I figured how to work in a CAD program for idiots) I will be able to design my own lures and cut aluminium molds........ So, if you guys have something in mind, maybe tweaking or twisting a fav lure, lemme know?




The first thing I have to make is a "kick-lever" for one of my bass baitcasters as it is deemed too old and I cannot get a replacement part, so I will cnc it, soon!
Title: Re: Jigheads
Post by: tackle whore on June 21, 2014, 08:42:09 PM
(http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss328/markstotesbury/2014-06-04201819_zpsf7b15d16.jpg) (http://s588.photobucket.com/user/markstotesbury/media/2014-06-04201819_zpsf7b15d16.jpg.html)
personally prefer swivel heads .
Title: Re: Jigheads
Post by: carll on June 21, 2014, 09:39:14 PM
Thanks Guys for all your reply's. Tackle W those with fish head looks great . Do you sell those ?
Title: Re: Jigheads
Post by: FishStyx on June 22, 2014, 07:48:21 AM
@ TW... please show us how you rig them. Thx
Title: Re: Jigheads
Post by: gavin erwin on June 22, 2014, 04:11:37 PM
Where do you guys find unpainted undressed bucktail jigs in joburg, i want to start painting and tying on my own bucktail for a bit of a challenge?

Title: Re: Jigheads
Post by: LGF on June 23, 2014, 07:22:53 AM
Gavin, I have a mold very similar to the fish-head above, have 100's of Gamakatsu hooks from 1/0's through to 5/0's. The mold allows for 6 sizes if I am not mistaken, (Delmart mold) not too sure about the weights but can remember that it is from rather light, around 1/4 ounce to something like 1 ounce, again, I cannot really remember. Will see if I can locate the info and post it.




Give me till next week and I can make you some, if you want?





Title: Re: Jigheads
Post by: LGF on June 23, 2014, 07:34:12 AM
This is what they look like (hope the pic loads, using the pad) and the weights range between  1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and 5/8's of an ounce. Obviously the coo responding hook sizes will start with a 1/0 in the 1/8 ounce and so forth to the 5/0 in the 5/8's ounce jighead.
Title: Re: Jigheads
Post by: gavin erwin on June 23, 2014, 09:02:48 AM
That is exactly what im looking for thanks LGF!!! :geet
Title: Re: Jigheads
Post by: Lenny on June 23, 2014, 01:55:22 PM
I know TW Sells them [ the ones in his post , very neatly done , seen them and used similar ones a couple of times before ] Best to PM him ...


@Gavin and LGF , I actually think TW sells them too in big sizes . I will take up the challenge and Tie a few up .
[size=78%].[/size]


Or do you guys think we should send MM an email , and do a bulk deal between who ever is keen , and split it up ....There was a mold like this for sale about a year ago in here ... Guy from Durban , can't recall his name .


Pretty keen to try them along with a PD coming September.
Title: Re: Jigheads
Post by: LGF on June 23, 2014, 02:13:07 PM
That is exactly what im looking for thanks LGF!!! :geet


Gavin, please send me a PM with the sizes and amounts you want, your Postal Addy and I will see if I can make them on Monday (day off after the trip) and get them in the mail by Tuesday. Or i will let you know about next week, as I am sure to go through to JHB somewhere as I need to get supplies for a machine i am building. Might be monday but deffs in next week if not on monday.
Title: Re: Jigheads
Post by: LGF on June 23, 2014, 02:15:20 PM
I know TW Sells them [ the ones in his post , very neatly done , seen them and used similar ones a couple of times before ] Best to PM him ...


@Gavin and LGF , I actually think TW sells them too in big sizes . I will take up the challenge and Tie a few up .
[size=78%].[/size]


Or do you guys think we should send MM an email , and do a bulk deal between who ever is keen , and split it up ....There was a mold like this for sale about a year ago in here ... Guy from Durban , can't recall his name .


Pretty keen to try them along with a PD coming September.




Lenny, Buddy I feel so bad for not letting you know about this mold, I had for some three years already, when you wanted the jighwads with the paddle tails, if you want in the sizes that I mentioned, I will make you some too and send them off, Lemme know please?
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal