ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: kevf on December 29, 2013, 05:17:00 PM

Title: split ring/snap swivel
Post by: kevf on December 29, 2013, 05:17:00 PM
What's the best method for quick changing of spoons/plugs etc? swivel with a split ring on the leader, a swivel on the leader and split rings on each lure or snap swivels? I'd imagine that direct onto the leader is something that isn't done as often?
Title: Re: split ring/snap swivel
Post by: Half-Pint on December 29, 2013, 05:27:02 PM
Personally I use a swivel attached to a small QUALITY split ring. Good quality snap swivels in small sizes are difficult to find and pretty expensive
Title: Re: split ring/snap swivel
Post by: jaenswart on December 29, 2013, 05:27:27 PM
What's the best method for quick changing of spoons/plugs etc? swivel with a split ring on the leader, a swivel on the leader and split rings on each lure or snap swivels? I'd imagine that direct onto the leader is something that isn't done as often?
swivel on leader or wire.....split ring on each lure..for me
Title: Re: split ring/snap swivel
Post by: kevf on December 29, 2013, 05:30:45 PM
thanks guys I thought as much, and that's a power swivel i'm sure?
Title: Re: split ring/snap swivel
Post by: Half-Pint on December 29, 2013, 05:42:06 PM
thanks guys I thought as much, and that's a power swivel i'm sure?

People use other swivels :dunno: :hehe:

The only other type you could use is a ball bearing but those are very pricey
Title: Re: split ring/snap swivel
Post by: Fish-Hunter on December 29, 2013, 06:12:42 PM
hi KevF,
I use a snap clip with no swivel,I been doing that way for years and I have never lost a fish. However when spoon for Snoek use a split ring to reduce the chance of a bubble trail.


I hope this helps KevF.


14kg Garrick landed using a snap clip to attach plug.
Title: Re: split ring/snap swivel
Post by: jaenswart on December 29, 2013, 06:31:04 PM
thanks guys I thought as much, and that's a power swivel i'm sure?

People use other swivels :dunno: :hehe:

The only other type you could use is a ball bearing but those are very pricey

I used centro swivels as far as possible, and will go to power swivels as a second choice.
Title: Re: split ring/snap swivel
Post by: Lenny on December 29, 2013, 08:11:14 PM
I use a locally made Clip , made by Predator plugs . They are very popular and sometimes very scarce. I will post a pic some time of them .
Save loads of leaders and time . I only use them on plugs and sometimes spoons , but never on lipped lures or Dropshots/plastics .


For offshore shore its a whole other story/Thread really . 


Giant Leervis Fish hunter ! WOW
Title: Re: split ring/snap swivel
Post by: Fish-Hunter on December 29, 2013, 09:15:22 PM
Tnx Lenny,landed on a 9ft6 Poseidon,Dropzone with a Penn Affinity 4000, Awesome fight!!
Title: Re: split ring/snap swivel
Post by: kevf on December 30, 2013, 05:19:12 AM
thanks guys.

FH, great fish there, on that tackle must of revved you properly! Any particular brand of snap swivel? I've seen some dodgy looking ones out there.

Lenny, id appreciate that

 :tkx:
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal