ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Sylvester on December 12, 2013, 10:59:55 AM
-
Gonna give it a bash this december.....
-
Interesting topic, I always wanted to catch a Kob in the surf on spoon but have not been successful so far. :-(
-
Fishing local? Or going up the coast?
-
Fishing local? Or going up the coast?
Stilbaai :rck" this December!
-
Lekker, please keep us updated as I might be there for a day or two on my way to Struisbaai.
-
Craig, you need to get some of those Clone stickbaits... from the Pautz brothers. I'm sure you've seen the Kob caught on them... simply awesome.
-
Craig, you need to get some of those Clone stickbaits... from the Pautz brothers. I'm sure you've seen the Kob caught on them... simply awesome.
Yip, been advised by Donovan which one I should try.
-
Craig, you need to get some of those Clone stickbaits... from the Pautz brothers. I'm sure you've seen the Kob caught on them... simply awesome.
CANT GO WRONG with !!!
Or even the Havocs , jeez I have caught loads of fish oon them .
Another , spoon you can look into is An Adlocks SLim spoon .
Graig leave the top spoon , for the Snoek season LOL .
Spoons work well , but slow and low . Lots of them work , so best to experiment , but what I have seen , and used with more success is a two tone 's' type spinner , witha fat body meaning i wide body .
Hooks is up to your prefrance , The clone guys has gone throught the passes , and used lots of variations , They now fish with n setup siumilar to Jigging guys , on mine I have a single hook , with a double split ring . [ I have been loosing lets lures , actually no lures ,[when compared to other hook configarations . The Assist hook Setup are IDEAL for fishing over the sand , and your spacing on your hook/s are better , Sometimes Kobs are very skelm , and they bite 'short' the assist hook will get him . One thing I can add , the Clones casts EXTREMLY well . I would hands down rather throw a clone or a Havoc before a Spoon , there was some member woth a wealth of knowlaedge on Spoons , cant recall his name though.
-
Craig, you need to get some of those Clone stickbaits... from the Pautz brothers. I'm sure you've seen the Kob caught on them... simply awesome.
Yip, been advised by Donovan which one I should try.
PINK !! for Kob
Green for Elf .
Black and white for everything that eats lures .
-
And leave the Ashley reads for Longies ...
Theres a Spinner maker in Strand , that makes the best Elf /Leerie spoon , Just can never remember these guys names .[size=78%] [/size]
-
Fishing local? Or going up the coast?
Stilbaai :rck" this December!
That should be awesome! I havent really tried fot kob on spoon but can tell you they love a paddle tail!
-
The guy's in PE also use the double slim spoon. It is two slim spoons back to back. They rattle nicely when retrieved slowly.
-
I have seen the pics of the big cob with that top spoon hanging from its mouth.....recon I'll take it along and have a look see!!!
They are all Ashley Read spoons.
-
Have had a bit of luck with the double slim spoon, a few elf & missed kob.
No luck with clones yet, only a chase when throwing for leerie/garrick.
-
Targeting cob on spoon is not always the easyest thing. You need a slow retriev bumping your spoon on the bottom. We use to catch them with 5oz spoons on surf rods. You could get to the bank right at the back and at some places this aloud you to cast over two or three gullys. If the cob dit not hit you in the first gully you stil have one or two chances left for a pickup. They normaly hit you on the fall from the bank into the gully. Some times you will get hit while pulling the lure up the dropoff before it gets on the second bank. Choose you spots right and you will have lots of fun. Try the wrong spot and you will end up having burning shoulders and forarms and no fish. For leeries and elf you need a bit faster retriev.
-
i'll be watching this thread with an eagle eye... a form of fishing i'd love to learn about.
-
They normaly hit you on the fall from the bank into the gully. Some times you will get hit while pulling the lure up the dropoff before it gets on the second bank.
What does the hit feels like? How do you distinguish between your spoon bumping into a rock and the actual hit?
-
Targeting cob on spoon is not always the easyest thing. You need a slow retriev bumping your spoon on the bottom. We use to catch them with 5oz spoons on surf rods. You could get to the bank right at the back and at some places this aloud you to cast over two or three gullys. If the cob dit not hit you in the first gully you stil have one or two chances left for a pickup. They normaly hit you on the fall from the bank into the gully. Some times you will get hit while pulling the lure up the dropoff before it gets on the second bank. Choose you spots right and you will have lots of fun. Try the wrong spot and you will end up having burning shoulders and forarms and no fish. For leeries and elf you need a bit faster retriev.
:+ cred: for the advice!!! Very similar to the advice given to me when I got the spoons so def has merit! Now at least I know I have been given the right info.....now just to put it in practice!!!
-
How do you fish the clone lure and where do you buy them?
-
http://www.clonelures.co.za/ (http://www.clonelures.co.za/)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clone-Lures/189337397748419?ref=ts (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clone-Lures/189337397748419?ref=ts)
Kingfisher in Durban stocks them.
You can fish them in a variety of ways...
For Kob, you let them sink, then twitch/sweep retrieval along the seafloor. Slowly.
For Garrick and Shad it's a faster retrieval keeping the lure on the surface or just sub-surface.
They cast unbelievably well.
-
Thanks Reefman
-
Best way to retrieve you lure for Kob , I would describe it as skipping or bouncing your spoon , some guys use a flutter retrieve , so they keep their rod tip high , give a couple of winds and let it sink back to the bottom .
I prefer a slow retreive , keeping contact with the lure and rodtip the whole time , I try to 'feel ' the bottom , be aware that some stikes feels like grass/ plastic bags , a sensitive rod tip will be a an advantage . Yes you are gonna loose a couple of lures , some guys prefer a light gauge hook , that you can pull open when stuck , and maybe save your spoon . When your fishing of the sand , check your hooks alot , as you will drag your hooks through the sand , making them very blunt , very qquik.
The most important thing is to fish the right condisions , and the right tackle . If the seas is to strong , its not conducive to lurefishing from the shore for Kob . When the sea is big and theres surges , your spoon/ lure rolls , and a Kob will not commit to your offering.
-
I have caught a grand total of 1 kob on spoon but it was on the south coast so perhaps the equivalent of 6000 kob in a place with fish :hyst: :hyst:
The way I was shown was to use very active spoons like the s bend spoons sheppie bomber etc. Your retrieve will be sloooooow. You want the head to bash the sand occasionally and do the odd faster jerk as if it is a small fish darting along the bottom. The fact that the spoon hits the sand will also allow the kob to bring its lateral line into play. Sane story with the wobble of an s bend spoon
-
They normaly hit you on the fall from the bank into the gully. Some times you will get hit while pulling the lure up the dropoff before it gets on the second bank.
What does the hit feels like? How do you distinguish between your spoon bumping into a rock and the actual hit?
It ranges from a tap , tap , tap , to dead weight , to eat and run , one never know . The place were I fish , I get the swell side on , and when it happened , I cast and let it sink , all of a sudden , i just check , wag n bietjie, line going into the current , The Kob chowed the lure while sinking , one certainly must be ' wide awake' .I could have landed the fish , but I thought the hook is VAS , AI .
I have also experianced this , and recenlty it happed to me on a PD.
If you reel looses line and the rock has headshakes ... :hyst: then you now . [size=78%] [/size]
-
Keep your rod tip up. Most of the time they will flatten you after the hit or the line will go slack. This will meen they are swimming towards you after picking up the spoon. Reel it fast and hit when you can feel the waight of the fish. Most of the time you will know you have been eaten. Good luck and keep us posted. Some days you catch ten or more on spoons, other days they will rather take a rapala fished on the same way and some times they will only take live baits. I normaly slide a mullet on the one rod and will start scratching with a rapala or spoon on the other rod. You will soon know what they like the best for the day. With the rapala or halco's you are also fishing off the bottom. They do not sink as deep as the spoons. My faverite colour on the rapala is a light bleu in sunny conditions and a black on darkgreen in darker light conditions. Some days a silver lure is also very nice.
-
:hehe: Thanks Lenny. Maybe soon you can show me in person how its been done? :hnthnt:
If you reel looses line and the rock has headshakes ... :hyst: then you now .
-
Craig, you need to get some of those Clone stickbaits... from the Pautz brothers. I'm sure you've seen the Kob caught on them... simply awesome.
I had these and never used them recently........they are still in their packaging....... duh
Oh, BTW - when I could not get the Cob to bite in PE recently, I used a slim spoon and it worked very well.
-
Best way to retrieve you lure for Kob , I would describe it as skipping or bouncing your spoon , some guys use a flutter retrieve , so they keep their rod tip high , give a couple of winds and let it sink back to the bottom .
I prefer a slow retreive , keeping contact with the lure and rodtip the whole time , I try to 'feel ' the bottom , be aware that some stikes feels like grass/ plastic bags , a sensitive rod tip will be a an advantage . Yes you are gonna loose a couple of lures , some guys prefer a light gauge hook , that you can pull open when stuck , and maybe save your spoon . When your fishing of the sand , check your hooks alot , as you will drag your hooks through the sand , making them very blunt , very qquik.
The most important thing is to fish the right condisions , and the right tackle . If the seas is to strong , its not conducive to lurefishing from the shore for Kob . When the sea is big and theres surges , your spoon/ lure rolls , and a Kob will not commit to your offering.
good info ... never really thought of checking the hooks....
also could you guys direct me as to which clone lure you are using for leeries, as I throw a lot of plugs for them and would like to try something different..
thanks again for the great info
-
Craig, you need to get some of those Clone stickbaits... from the Pautz brothers. I'm sure you've seen the Kob caught on them... simply awesome.
I had these and never used them recently........they are still in their packaging....... duh
Oh, BTW - when I could not get the Cob to bite in PE recently, I used a slim spoon and it worked very well.
Robin Trust me , I was also no keen on throwing them , and well now , I swear by them , they have a small 9 cm floating model , very very effective for Leeries in rivers .
All the bigger ones wrk very well , I cast my 1/1/2 clone Miles wit 15 lbs braid and a 9 foot rood .
I just change the Trebles , to singles put in another split ring . I have seen the guys have been using assist hooks with success , I have yet to try it as my singles are working for me so why change. And at the price they go for , Who cares about the paint job , the couple I have [ the ones I didnt loose ] Paint looks bad , but they still catch fish , and has been bounced alot over rocks .
Pink seems to be a very popular Colour generally for the Clones lures . May just because thats what the guys seen on the pics or maybe It is the colour , they buy . I have taken fish on the Green , Redhead and Pink , and the White , and Yellow .
Sharp hooks are PARAMOUNT , sometimes a big Kob will engulf your Spoon and just hold on to it , with a blunt hook you'll miss it and well you know what I am getting at . you have to fish on ' optimium' to get them , its hard work .
-
Thanks Lenny ...
Will have to stock up on some for the Leerie season coming up ...