ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

FRESHWATER ANGLING => Fly fishing => Topic started by: Ziggy on June 20, 2013, 11:26:19 AM

Title: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: Ziggy on June 20, 2013, 11:26:19 AM
Whats happened here on UA?


All of a sudden there have been a lot of threads on flyfishing.


Is it becasue the BEEG boat boys have flat batteries?



Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: Lichia amia on June 20, 2013, 11:27:46 AM
 :trout:  Season !!
 
Everbody has moved into Fly mode , come summer and it will die down again .
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: icstuff on June 20, 2013, 11:35:19 AM
Ziggy is is a good thing the boys have taken up fly rods, in the past, winter tended to be fighting season on the forum
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: Rory on June 20, 2013, 11:35:53 AM
Nooit Kallie, come summer we must just switch to Yellowfish mode  :craz:
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: Ettienne on June 20, 2013, 11:46:03 AM
Whats happened here on UA?


All of a sudden there have been a lot of threads on flyfishing.


Is it becasue the BEEG boat boys have flat batteries?

cause why we can like to be versatile am  :vio
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: Lichia amia on June 20, 2013, 11:46:17 AM
Nooit Kallie, come summer we must just switch to Yellowfish mode  :craz:

Czech Nymphing is not fly fishing  :craz: :craz:
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: Homie on June 20, 2013, 11:57:37 AM
Nooit Kallie, come summer we must just switch to Yellowfish mode  :craz:

Czech Nymph is not fly fishing  :craz: :craz:


Classic !!!
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: Rory on June 20, 2013, 11:59:45 AM

Czech Nymph is not fly fishing  :craz: :craz:

 :hyst:   :pot:   :rotfl
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: maganything on June 20, 2013, 12:07:40 PM
 
iv always been a big fly fisher.. But i joined UA to get info mainly for offshore fishing as it was something i was just starting!
 
Lekker to know there are lots of guys here that enjoy fly fishing aswell!
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: Ziggy on June 20, 2013, 12:13:24 PM
Nooit Kallie, come summer we must just switch to Yellowfish mode  :craz:

Czech Nymphing is not fly fishing  :craz: :craz:


See these articles:
http://www.czechnymphs.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=212%3Ano-more-czech-nymphing-in-fly-only-waters&catid=1%3Atactics-tying&Itemid=3&lang=en (http://www.czechnymphs.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=212%3Ano-more-czech-nymphing-in-fly-only-waters&catid=1%3Atactics-tying&Itemid=3&lang=en)


http://fly-fishing-tackle00.wikispaces.com/Is+Czech+Nymphing+Truly+Fly+Fishing%3F (http://fly-fishing-tackle00.wikispaces.com/Is+Czech+Nymphing+Truly+Fly+Fishing%3F)

Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: icstuff on June 20, 2013, 12:26:14 PM
Nooit Kallie, come summer we must just switch to Yellowfish mode  :craz:

Czech Nymphing is not fly fishing  :craz: :craz:

:popcorn !

As long as I attempt to cast the fly it is  :crzy
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: Ziggy on June 20, 2013, 12:31:33 PM
Nooit Kallie, come summer we must just switch to Yellowfish mode  :craz:

Czech Nymphing is not fly fishing  :craz: :craz:

:popcorn !

As long as I attempt to cast the fly it is  :crzy


there is no casting when Czech nymphing - in fact you dont even need a fly line. Apparently the technique was developed when anglers could not buy fly lines in the old eastern block countries, so they innovated and designed this technique
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: icstuff on June 20, 2013, 12:35:46 PM
I see my jedi mind tricks are not working today...

Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: Rory on June 20, 2013, 12:37:52 PM
I see my jedi mind tricks are not working today...

Hmmmmm, much to learn, you still have young paddawan...
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: Lichia amia on June 20, 2013, 12:41:13 PM
This has been a very hot topic before and some pretty nasty things were said . ”Bird Brain “ , “Jou ma se …. “ , Dip sh@t” and and
 
 
For the purists Chech nymping is definitely not fly fishing in the traditional sense . But you are still landing a fish on fly !!!
 
So for the sake of peace , lets let this one go …
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: icstuff on June 20, 2013, 12:41:54 PM
I see my jedi mind tricks are not working today...

Hmmmmm, much to learn, you still have young paddawan...

I am sorry that I have caused you shame master Rory-wan Kenobi
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: Rory on June 20, 2013, 12:45:58 PM
I am sorry that I have caused you shame master Rory-wan Kenobi

Fear not, the force is strong with you, young I-perceive-matter  :corrct:
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: icstuff on June 20, 2013, 12:54:22 PM
I was wondering when this fight was due.
I fish because I enjoy it and I use any technique that I enjoy and because I get to share a cold one with the boys - the next topic up for discussion is sliding whole mackies and occie legs for barble in the vaal...

Having mingled a little bit with "Fly fisherman" I have noticed that that there are 3 distinct goups

1. Absolute purists - will only fish with custom made rods/nets and only target wild trout. Does not mingle with the lower classes.
2. Somewhat Purist - will target most fish sometimes mingle with the masses.
3. Rabble - Will target any fish in any way he can, carries a supply of windhoek and does not give a rats a$$ about what the others think.

There are exceptions to the rules as well.

Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: Rory on June 20, 2013, 12:59:10 PM
.       
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: Monster on June 20, 2013, 01:10:42 PM
I are be a rabble!
As long as I can get a fish on the other end of the line and the fish ate wat ever was on/next to/ close to the hook. I'm happy! The fish could have eaten the fly out of hunger, shock, self defence or anger I do not give a rats furry behind!
Cheers :2m: :beer:
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: Ziggy on June 20, 2013, 01:12:30 PM
If I cast a camo worm with my fly rod - is that flyfishing?
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: Lichia amia on June 20, 2013, 01:21:42 PM
If I cast a camo worm with my fly rod - is that flyfishing?

If you want it to be ....
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: diamonddogs on June 20, 2013, 01:30:34 PM
Nymphing is bait fishing with an artificial....
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: shagnrelease on June 20, 2013, 01:36:16 PM
It will grow and grow, fur and feathers are cheaper than fuel, will be swopping shag for a kickboat soon!
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: Ziggy on June 20, 2013, 01:36:26 PM
If I cast a camo worm with my fly rod - is that flyfishing?

If you want it to be ....


Lichia  - thats a cop out response! Sounds like something I would say to my wife so as not to get into trouble (but would get inot trouble anyway!)

Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: John F on June 20, 2013, 01:36:57 PM
If I cast a camo worm with my fly rod - is that flyfishing?


If I remember correctly the IGFA states that as long as the line carries the fly and not the other way round it's legit.
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: Lichia amia on June 20, 2013, 01:41:47 PM
quote author=Ziggy link=topic=14317.msg227785#msg227785 date=1371728186]
If I cast a camo worm with my fly rod - is that flyfishing?

If you want it to be ....


Lichia  - thats a cop out response! Sounds like something I would say to my wife so as not to get into trouble (but would get inot trouble anyway!)



 
 w;k  Ziggs
 
This has been a very hot topic before and some pretty nasty things were said . ”Bird Brain “ , “Jou ma se …. “ , Dip sh@t” and and
 
 
For the purists Chech nymping is definitely not fly fishing in the traditional sense . But you are still landing a fish on fly !!!
 
So for the sake of peace , lets let this one go …
[
 
 
 
 
 
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: CLS on June 20, 2013, 02:34:50 PM
I was wondering when this fight was due.
I fish because I enjoy it and I use any technique that I enjoy and because I get to share a cold one with the boys - the next topic up for discussion is sliding whole mackies and occie legs for barble in the vaal...

Having mingled a little bit with "Fly fisherman" I have noticed that that there are 3 distinct goups

1. Absolute purists - will only fish with custom made rods/nets and only target wild trout. Does not mingle with the lower classes.
2. Somewhat Purist - will target most fish sometimes mingle with the masses.
3. Rabble - Will target any fish in any way he can, carries a supply of windhoek and does not give a rats a$$ about what the others think.


There are exceptions to the rules as well.
I fall into line # 3  except for the rats a$$ bit. Keep it up makes a change from reading the banter thread  :happ:
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: Seventenths on June 20, 2013, 03:11:09 PM
rabble - without the booze...
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: icstuff on June 20, 2013, 03:13:47 PM
I are be a rabble!
As long as I can get a fish on the other end of the line and the fish ate wat ever was on/next to/ close to the hook. I'm happy! The fish could have eaten the fly out of hunger, shock, self defence or anger I do not give a rats furry behind!
Cheers :2m: :beer:

We will be celebrating our rabbleness The weekend  :frid
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: Ziggy on June 20, 2013, 03:25:40 PM
I are be a rabble!
As long as I can get a fish on the other end of the line and the fish ate wat ever was on/next to/ close to the hook. I'm happy! The fish could have eaten the fly out of hunger, shock, self defence or anger I do not give a rats furry behind!
Cheers :2m: :beer:

We will be celebrating our rabbleness The weekend  :frid
Just a little question - can you use rabble fur for dubbing?
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: Homie on June 20, 2013, 03:35:11 PM
Just a little question - can you use rabble fur for dubbing?

No.. us rabble use it for dopping.....
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: Ziggy on June 20, 2013, 03:51:15 PM
Just a little question - can you use rabble fur for dubbing?

No.. us rabble use it for dopping.....


if this is what you mean by dopping - then I dont know how itr relates to fly tying or fishing


http://www.usfacetersguild.org/articles/glenn_klein/dopping_proceedure/ (http://www.usfacetersguild.org/articles/glenn_klein/dopping_proceedure/)
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: Monster on June 21, 2013, 07:22:15 AM
Just a little question - can you use rabble fur for dubbing?

No.. us rabble use it for dopping.....
No But jou can use a Rats A$$
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: Lichia amia on June 21, 2013, 07:39:51 AM
I are be a rabble!
As long as I can get a fish on the other end of the line and the fish ate wat ever was on/next to/ close to the hook. I'm happy! The fish could have eaten the fly out of hunger, shock, self defence or anger I do not give a rats furry behind!
Cheers :2m: :beer:

 

We will be celebrating our rabbleness The weekend  :frid
Just a little question - can you use rabble fur for dubbing?

Hay Malakas enough now , go bake a bread !!!
 
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: Ziggy on June 21, 2013, 08:36:33 AM

 
Hay Malakas enough now , go bake a bread !!!


This is a family forum! Bad boy!!!!!
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: Herman Jooste on June 23, 2013, 10:52:03 AM
Hmmm,
I see the definition of rabble was written just for me. :hehe: w;k
See you on the water soon, young winter apprentice.  :frid
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: UrbanFF on June 27, 2013, 04:39:07 PM
:trout:  Season !!
 
Everbody has moved into Fly mode , come summer and it will die down again .


...and this bad - why ? ......
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: Lichia amia on June 27, 2013, 04:42:33 PM
Nope , its bloody Great  :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :trout: :trout: :trout:
Title: Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
Post by: Herman Jooste on June 27, 2013, 08:15:33 PM
Winter on the Vaal is not for WOOSIES.
You blank 3 times out of 4 trips. BUT that 4th trip produces BIG fish ( + 3kg ) on a dry fly. :sreel:
Them there is also the opportunity of casting for LM, As far as I know Gerrit has the record this winter with a 20lb + Largie.  :shk
 
Others have caught Largies in the 10 to 18 lb range on a regular basis.
 
My turn WILL come, it just takes days and days of effort.
 
No "easy" fishing for yellows on the Vaal in winter, unless you are Herman Botes. :blush:
 
( Who is definitely out of my league  :-( )
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal