Author Topic: Why I Love Kempton Park!  (Read 15285 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Why I Love Kempton Park!
« on: March 17, 2012, 11:41:38 AM »
So guys yesterday morning was off to gather some info and photos for my site and little did I know that that would be the day where I caught my best freshwater fish to date!

We traveled to  :ult: members uncles dam in Kempton Park, its a deep quarry and myself and gavin erwin baited our Barbel and Carp rods and no action for the first 4 hours until we decided to move spots...

The rain was coming down and didnt stop, the temp stayed at about 15-16 degrees the whole day so we were not really expecting for the fishing to be of any quality. But then my first two carp rods went into the deep and got 2 fish in 2 minutes, both newly born Common Carp, lovely to see that a dam in the middle of a factory area has so much "health" in it. The carp were beautiful and released... I was soon onto another baby carp, after that it went quiet as Sean missed a nice Barbel that took a crab. He then decided to pull out the float setup and was quickly onto a lovely Vlei Kurper... And then I rebaited with a big bait, meant for a bigger carp, but to all of our suprise, once the rod started running, we saw a Blue Kurper on the other end of the line  :shk :shk :shk the water is not suppossed to be warm enough for Blues to get to this size in Gauteng, and it took a carp bait, never in my life have I seen anything like this or heard of it, I am still trying to figure out why the Freshwater Gods persuaded this Kurper to take a scopex mallow  :shk :shk :shk

After that we messed around with lighter tackle and small hooks and nailed small Vlei and Blue Kurper one after another, what a great days fishing!

WK  :ult:






















Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Why I Love Kempton Park!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 11:49:04 AM »
Wow, that is a beauty! Great catches and it looks like it was in the middle of an industrial area.

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Why I Love Kempton Park!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 11:52:29 AM »
Thanks Hermann, yes it is, the dam is in a scrap yard and there are factories surrounding it...

Offline FLOPPY

  • OUR EARTH.
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 182
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • "the bigger the worm,the better the catch!"
  • Location: Pretoria,Gauteng
Re: Why I Love Kempton Park!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 01:13:30 PM »
Great Kurper, well done!! (clap)
We do not inherit the EARTH from our Parents,
We borrow it from our Children !!

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Why I Love Kempton Park!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 01:20:11 PM »
Sheesh that quite impressive Mr. Fish Slayer

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Why I Love Kempton Park!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 02:17:41 PM »
Nice fish Walks !!! Just a word of caution,  believe there is a suspect character that roams the streets of Kempton in a Triton double cab . Pasop next time !!!!

Offline Toppie

  • RIP Toppie. What a great man. You will always be an
  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1823
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Why I Love Kempton Park!
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 02:22:40 PM »
Nice Kurper WK. Amazing. Hard to imagine such a beauty in a quarry inbetween the factories.
"Everything will be good in the end" - so it cant be the end yet!

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Why I Love Kempton Park!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 08:18:26 AM »
Thanks guys, still can't believe it!

Kallie thanks for the heads up  w;k

Offline shagnrelease

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Why I Love Kempton Park!
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 10:45:52 AM »
Is that the one just of the chloorkop road? we used to fly fish for them and bass a few years ago there, thought it was closed off now.

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Why I Love Kempton Park!
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 11:14:13 AM »
Thats the one Shag, not many Bass in the dam now, but losts of small Blues which is a good sign! It was closed for a while but now has officially been reopened under a name!

Offline shagnrelease

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Why I Love Kempton Park!
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 11:43:30 AM »
ok nice, what was the most succesfull rigs there? I may take the lighties at the weekend.

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Why I Love Kempton Park!
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 11:54:28 AM »
We got some vlei kurper and tiny blue kurper on small spinners, otherwise we were fishing bait, got the 1kg Blue on dough  :lolo:

Going to take my fly setup on wednesday and see what I can get!

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Why I Love Kempton Park!
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 08:01:49 PM »
Great Kurper there Gareth. :clwn
 
No more posts about the venue though  :dunno:
 
Has something gone sour ??????? ito the venue????
 
Still trying to work out where it is  :nuts: :nuts:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Why I Love Kempton Park!
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 08:39:03 AM »
Only been back to the venue once since then Herman, will post info on it very soon, its a lovely place and in great condition, I think it has a lot of potential.

Offline Kumz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Why I Love Kempton Park!
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 08:50:32 AM »
 (clap) :shre:

Baby Face

  • Guest
Re: Why I Love Kempton Park!
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 01:03:31 PM »
Howzit Guys


Has anyone been there recently and caught anything??
myself and some buddies are looking for a place to go in the jhb area.
 :dunno:
anyone got some ideas or reviews for me pls??

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Why I Love Kempton Park!
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 01:05:12 PM »
Howzit Guys


Has anyone been there recently and caught anything??
myself and some buddies are looking for a place to go in the jhb area.
 :dunno:
anyone got some ideas or reviews for me pls??
:welc: Baby Face

Struggled with Gauteng venues in winter, but if anything should produce it should be here. Very deep water and the Carp have stopped spawning, I think you should give it a go!

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Why I Love Kempton Park!
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 01:07:16 PM »

Baby Face

  • Guest
Re: Why I Love Kempton Park!
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 01:09:51 PM »
Ok thanks


when last were u there??

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Why I Love Kempton Park!
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 01:18:11 PM »
Ok thanks


when last were u there??
Beginning of May, went there with the fly fishing tackle, but nothing...

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal