I decided that I needed a mid-week break and phoned my dad to ask whether he wants to go carp fishing on Wednesday.
It doesn't take much to convince my dad that fishing is more important than work so it was a very short conversation.
My dad being a specimen fanatic said we had to go to Buffelspoort, one day he will get his 50lb carp there.
When we arrived at 6am we quickly set up and had a quick coffee and the waiting game began.
Early morning a gent fishing two stands away from us was standing pulling on his rod (fishing rod!), for a while we thought he was snagged and after chatting to him later it turns out he thought exactly the same. He went out with his boat to retrieve his line when he realised that there was actually something other than a tree on the other end of his line. Turned out to be a 9kg carp that swam with his bait while he was sleeping and got snagged. He managed to free the line and a good fight followed, I hope he doesn't mind if I post the pic of his fish. Beautiful specimen.
The day was quiet without much action. About an hour before packing up one of the reels started singing, nothing like a singing baitrunner to break the silence.
It wasn't a monster but being my first carp in many years I was pretty chuffed with myself.
What a way to spend a Wednesday, fishing and catching up with my dad.
(photos taken with phone, sorry for the bad quality)