Author Topic: Dropshot at Umgazana  (Read 9586 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ebvahed

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban, Kwa Zulu Natal
Dropshot at Umgazana
« on: December 19, 2011, 03:28:36 PM »
Hi to all residents of the Ultimate Angling Community


I am planning a trip to Umgazana river estuary on the 27th of Dec, at the umgazana lodge. Anyone stayed there? Will be there for 3 days. Extremely helpful info from Tommo on all the guys. I have been fishing for some time, but started dropshot recently and I haven't had the best of luck. Got some responses from kingies in the durban harbour and caught shad of richards bays T-Jetty. Other than that, I've spent much time and much money with no results. I have a few questions, regarding dropshot as well as umgazana, any input will be highly appreciated:


1. So far I use Berkley jerk-shads, pearl white, as well as McArthy minnows, translucent blue. Whats the best Jighead to use for a 5 inch minnow? Also, is it necessary to use a jighead or will a round hook and sliding sinker be a better option? (My lures sometimes swim motionlessly, without a wriggle, despite making the hook protrude 1 third the distance from the head)


2. Is it necessary to make a bite trace for the leader for a minnow when targeting rock salmon, shad and sea pike?


3. What is a good popper or top lure to use in an estuary?


4. Is a jerkshad/minnow suitable for Umgazana estuary?


5. Is braid a necessity? I am currently using 8kg fluorocarbon leader with 2 20Lb main line.


6. Most importantly: Whats the conditions of the river at the moment> Is it spewing brown water of late?




Any answers to the above will be highly appreciated guys. Thanks in advance...

Offline Tommo

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1188
  • Cred: 220
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pennington
Re: Dropshot at Umgazana
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 10:09:56 PM »
Hi ebvahed
 
I haven't stayed at the lodge, but saw it while I was there from the water. It is nicely situated to take advantage of the river fishing at Umgazana. I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability here in order to help you to have a succesful trip.
 
1. For the river I would use jig heads of a 1/8 and 1/4 ounce, I would bite the bullet and buy quality jig heads such as Berkley Nitro or Bimini jig heads. It is not very deep and any heavier than 1/4 ounce would be overkill. I would buy a selection of McArthy Jerk Minnows in 5" size. The colours that I would go for for the estuary would be: pearl, goldfish, olive and baby elf.
 
2. I don't use a bite trace as such for the estuarine species, but you would want to use a leader of 40 to 50lb, as rock salmon can cut you off quite easily, springer can cut your leader in the scissors of their mouth or fray through it and of course shad and sea pike have sharp teeth. If you are using fluorocarbon you can use 20-30lb.
 
3. You must take a selection of topwater lures including: Strike Pro Tai Stick, Rapala X-Rap Walk 9cm, Storm Chug Bug 5cm, or any other really small surface popper (generally you will find these in the fresh water or bass fishing section of the store).
 
4. Yes, Jerkshads/Minnows are ideal for the Umgazana estuary.
 
5. Braid definitely makes life easier in terms of casting light lures, detecting skelm bites, and setting the hook. If I were you I would buy some, even if you use a nylon backing and just a 50m top shot of braid with a leader on the end.
 
6.I unfortunately don't know what the river is doing at the moment, but would imagine that there is a reasonable amount of freshwater flowing into it. This would make it a bit murky, but unless there is a lot of rain it will still be fishable.
 
If I were you I would concentrate my efforts upriver of the lodge. Just above the lodge there is a channel that joins the main river on the south bank. The mouth of this channel ia a good area. A bit of a way upstream of that, just above a shallow shale section, you will see a place where the river forms a pool, and then doubles back on itself. That pool, plus the water immediately below it, as well as above it, pretty much up to the bridge is probably the most productive part of the river for light tackle lure angling. Particularly on the high water. The river mouth area and the rock ledges on the south side of the mouth at the beach are great for low tide fishing and should produce kob, shad and garrick. Also the mouth area of the bigger mangrove channel on the north side of the river just before the cottages start is good around the lower end of the tide.
 
It may also be a good idea to take some bass hooks and fish your soft plastics weedless, with a small worm sinker texas rigged in some of those nooks and crannies of the upper reaches of the river. The rock salmon and perch in particular are often in and around heavy structure, and you may want to get right into it.
 
Fish your topwater lures slowly, with plenty of pauses during the retrieve. Small twitches with pauses is particularly good when casting tight to structure. It gives those ambush predators plenty of time to take a look at the lure and decide to eat it. You don't need your lures to make big splashes, the most subtle of movements is often more attractive in an estuarine environment.
 
Try and be on the water at first light and last light. These times are undoubtedly more productive than the rest of the day, regardless of tides. You will see much more baitfish movement and chases at those times and it will help you to read the water and to establish where and how the fish are feeding. 
 

Offline ebvahed

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban, Kwa Zulu Natal
Re: Dropshot at Umgazana
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 11:18:36 PM »
Legend Tommo, Legend. Hopefully will have some good news to report back when I return on the 2nd of Jan. 2 nights umgazana river lodge, 3 nights lake eland. I have a feeling I'm going to regret booking just 2 nights in umgazana... duh  Bass fishing in lake eland-first time ever.. Thanks again tommo, going shopping tomorrom :clwn

Offline Tommo

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1188
  • Cred: 220
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pennington
Re: Dropshot at Umgazana
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 07:36:46 AM »
Best of luck to you Ebrahim, have a great trip!
 

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Dropshot at Umgazana
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 07:48:20 AM »
Brilliant reply Tommo... this will help many anglers out there. +cred

Offline Tommo

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1188
  • Cred: 220
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pennington
Re: Dropshot at Umgazana
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 08:48:58 AM »
Thanks Reefz, the most important tip I can offer is unquestionably;
 
 BE ON THE WATER AT FIRST AND LAST LIGHT
 
In estuary fishing this means literally the hour on either side of total darkness. It is amazing how the river comes to life during this period. These estuaries can be fished all day, but that golden window on each end of the day produces more fish than the rest of the day combined. It means waking up early and getting home late, but if you really want to experience the best of estuary fishing it is worth it. 

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal