Warning: Zend OPcache API is restricted by "restrict_api" configuration directive in /usr/www/users/ultimaqz/Sources/Load.php on line 2792 Bass soft plastics in estuary?

Author Topic: Bass soft plastics in estuary?  (Read 2950 times)

Offline Zetti

• Retired
  • Cred: 0
Bass soft plastics in estuary?
« on: November 25, 2011, 02:19:54 PM »
Hi Ladies and Gents

I'm busy sorting my tackle box for December. Most of my time will be spent fishing artificials in an estuary - kob, garrick.....etc

What I am pondering now is whether or not I should pack a few of my bass plastic worms usually fished on a texas or carolina rig.

What i don't know and what might convince me to give this a go is whether or not you get bloodworm in the EC estuaries? I think you do but not sure  :dunno:
If you do I can't see why a kob won't mistake a plastic worm (of the right colour) for a bloodworm.

Will I be wasting my time, or has this maybe been done before?

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 764
Re: Bass soft plastics in estuary?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 02:41:07 PM »
Adolf, it's certainly worth trying!
Was amazed at how thinking out the box produces fish... in the recent Off the Chart Show, Barry Wareham used a large pink fly lure, attached a bottle sinker about a metre short of the lure so that he could cast it miles with a spinning rod. The fly remained floating in mid water above the sinker. He landed just about every imaginable Kingfish species in the space of a few hours - all on a fly lure!!!
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline swarley81

• Cred: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 02:51:24 PM »
Hi Ladies and Gents

I'm busy sorting my tackle box for December. Most of my time will be spent fishing artificials in an estuary - kob, garrick.....etc

What I am pondering now is whether or not I should pack a few of my bass plastic worms usually fished on a texas or carolina rig.

What i don't know and what might convince me to give this a go is whether or not you get bloodworm in the EC estuaries? I think you do but not sure  :dunno:
If you do I can't see why a kob won't mistake a plastic worm (of the right colour) for a bloodworm.

Will I be wasting my time, or has this maybe been done before?

Well, I was wondering the same thing and I'll be trying it out as well.  You are looking for a reaction bite, so why wouldn't a cob/garrick/grunter/blacktail etc react to a curly tail worm or a little fluke?  Good luck Viskop!

Offline Zetti

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 02:54:33 PM »
I saw that episode, Barry is a legend!

I'm gonna give it a shot and see what happens. I was looking at my bass tackle box the other day and thought to myself those little buggers look like small bloodworm, why would a kobbie not have a bite if this swims past.
They are not a perfect match but they are close enough, hopefully a kob with bad eye sight swims past my lure. 

Offline Zetti

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 03:00:05 PM »
Well, I was wondering the same thing and I'll be trying it out as well.  You are looking for a reaction bite, so why wouldn't a cob/garrick/grunter/blacktail etc react to a curly tail worm or a little fluke?  Good luck Viskop!

Thanks swarley,  :tite to you too.

Let us know if you have any luck.

I know for a fact that flukes will do the job, I might as well take my whole bass box with and give everything a try.

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 338
  • www.bluewatercharters.co.za
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 10:57:24 PM »
Viskop here is some tips from my experience

- Flukes fished weightless is a definate winner, just use a J hook through the nose
- 4" finesse worms fished "bass drop shot" rigged using the czech nymph method in an open estuary mouth when the tide is coming in or out is a killer, circles work best here
- Curtail worms and flukes on jig heads
- mojo rigged baby flukes
- shaky head rigged or footbal jig head rigged creatures fished slowley along the bottom, very good in turbid water
- Make a 2-3 hook chritmas tree rig and rig them with creature worms or mini flukes throw on to sand banks on as falling tide  and slowley retrieve back into deeper water.

An there is so much more you can do

BLUE WATER CHARTERS DURBAN - Marlin, Tuna and Big Game Fishing - www.bluewatercharters.co.za

DURBAN CRUISE BOAT - Harbour and Sea Cruises in Durban - www.durbancruiseboat.co.za

Offline Zetti

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 05:31:06 AM »

- Flukes fished weightless is a definate winner, just use a J hook through the nose
- 4" finesse worms fished "bass drop shot" rigged using the czech nymph method in an open estuary mouth when the tide is coming in or out is a killer, circles work best here
- shaky head rigged or footbal jig head rigged creatures fished slowley along the bottom, very good in turbid water
- Make a 2-3 hook chritmas tree rig and rig them with creature worms or mini flukes throw on to sand banks on as falling tide  and slowley retrieve back into deeper water.

Thanks Mike! That Christmas tree rig sounds interesting.
How do you rig this up?

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 338
  • www.bluewatercharters.co.za
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 06:18:28 PM »

Thanks Mike! That Christmas tree rig sounds interesting.
How do you rig this up?

Like a daisy chain, with sinker on the bottom and then 2 or 3 hook to which you attach the lures
BLUE WATER CHARTERS DURBAN - Marlin, Tuna and Big Game Fishing - www.bluewatercharters.co.za

DURBAN CRUISE BOAT - Harbour and Sea Cruises in Durban - www.durbancruiseboat.co.za

Offline WalkersKiller

• Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Cred: 365
  • Conservation First!
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 08:34:22 AM »
Adolf you do get Bloodworm in EC estuaries, in PA from my experience its difficult to get them, I have onjly ever pumped 2 in my entire life.

I have had success with Zoom worms fished on a wacky rig and then camo worms fished the same way, the Blacktail cane those!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal