Author
Topic: KZN Offshore - Whatzup  (Read 436221 times)

Offline L Hooker

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 55
Re: KZN Offshore - Whatzup
« Reply #2080 on: July 08, 2019, 11:39:30 am »
Bwana congrats on the AJ, Scott nice YFT  (clap)

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 50
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #2081 on: July 08, 2019, 12:41:37 pm »
Damn good tuna  (clap)
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline HooknCook

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 6
« Reply #2082 on: July 08, 2019, 07:07:22 pm »
Nice Scotty, well done!

Offline HooknCook

• Ultimate member
« Reply #2083 on: July 30, 2019, 05:19:30 pm »
Thought I would add a couple pics of wat we have managed to get out on the Northcoast over the last couple months. I had the DSBC Juniors fishing off RT1 during the Zinkwazi Interclub and we managed to bring home the bacon on the last day and win the comp, was really enjoyable to see the lighties enthusiasm and willingness to fish hard. Had a couple other enjoyable days with some nice snoek, Daga and Couta!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 05:23:37 pm by HooknCook »

Offline Bwana

• Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 206
  • Deep Blue Addict
« Reply #2084 on: July 31, 2019, 08:44:57 am »
Well done some good results there, nice to see good quality couta and snoek around  (clap)

Offline dugong

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 54
« Reply #2085 on: July 31, 2019, 08:48:30 am »
Nice fish well done to the lighties :rck" I Wish the snoek would start coming this side!! :-(
Just Fish!!!

Offline L Hooker

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 55
« Reply #2086 on: July 31, 2019, 08:52:26 am »
Congrats some great catches there (clap)

Offline maganything

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 67
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #2087 on: August 12, 2019, 09:23:00 am »
Morning gents,

We launched on Friday afternoon as that looked like the best weather gap for the weekend.
The plan was to look for geelbek.

Took us a while to find decent bait and then we headed out to the deeper reefs.

We found the bek but the werent eating properly.

We managed to get 2, warrens's one of 10kg and the other of 7.2kg.

Offline Visenvryheid

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 23
« Reply #2088 on: August 12, 2019, 10:14:15 am »
That's a goen! Nice one..Here's my fishing story from the weekend..although not in KZN..

We went looking for some bek, far far south of you, after an unsuccessful trip to the deep for tuna, since sunrise till late afternoon lots of life and bait but absolutely no fish around...We come back inside and on the current line we take a look at what the huge and really wierd stuff is on the sounder that is down there so thick for miles but not appearing or coming together as fish, so we drop a sabiki down to look see and as the skipper says you could have sunk your boat with mackerel if you wanted to..we found the mackies (miles and miles and miles of them, all fat and ready to spawn) and they kept on getting bigger and bigger till a full string of 1-2kg guys (and females) were pulling you all over the place and taking drag no problem on a 5000 spinner, never gets old! As the sun got lower we ducked off to the shallower reefs to look for bek, the water and conditions, like for tuna were perfect, but like the tuna they ended up being still up north.. I grab a bottom stick and put some .7mm leader, a big kendal round on and drop a fillet down to look see, no real signs on the sounder..The karels are in full force and baits are not lasting long.
Sarda sarda were busting up all over around us, a little snake spinner quickly put 3 in the boat and I was trying to take the third one off the hook to try release him, which was impossible as he was mal and would not stop going mal, and he was sown up proper by the treble. Between the second and third bust-up, second and third fish, I had put my bottom stick in the rod holder with a xlarge/big mackerel head on and left the ratchet on and drag loose. Just before the bustup a mako had cruised on by 20 meters from us, a decent 2m one at least, so while trying to unhook my katonkel, my bottom stick goes absolutely nuts...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....I grab it, strike and flip the lever drag all the way up...hahahaha that fish just gets more mal and has serious weight and is fasssssst, we skiem mako, I try stop it but I don't get bitten off.. the line flies off the reel at a rate of knots on locked drag with my thumbprint starting to go too and before I know it I am in the bricks...He swims out eventually I pull him for a bit and he busts me off again in the bricks right above the hook. Hmm. Not a mako.

So I tie on a 1.2mm leader and a new kendal, adjust the drag on that reel to max-max, and put another head down, doesn't take a minute and a fish considerably bigger than the last picks me up, a proper bruiser..I try my best but cannot put the brakes on him, not with that lever drag reel that was on that rod..and against locked drag and with no thumbprint left he takes 200m of line off in a flash..skipper says " you are lucky the fish is coming up for some reason" I reply" No he is in the bricks past the drop off". He was just so far away the angle of the line made it seem like he was surfacing LOL.. After a tug of war he busts me off on the mainline just above the leader..line is all scraped from the rocks.
So I am tying up a new leader when I have a brainwave..and grab my light tuna stick with two speed avet with 65lb double x on, crank that drag to the max and tie the leader and trace on and send down another big fat mackerel head.. Doesn't take long and the rod bends like I hooked the bottom, I flip the lever up to strike and wind him vas...He decides to make a duck for the reef, we are only in 15-20meters of water, and I flip the lever up to full and he gets stopped dead in his tracks.rod doubles over and I turn his head and bring him up..pump and wind..Didn't even use granny gear, that fish was no match for a proper reel! The drag on that other lever drag (I won't meantion names but for a reel marketed on its drag washers its not up to task) was just not up to the task of stopping these fish..and so I boat a decent 10kg tail with the hook still vas somehow and hanging on, having ripped out the fishes mouth and stuck in again behind the gills and the fish is still vas stuck in its side vlerkie with a clean rip. That fish did not want to get gaffed and fought till it was being bled out and spiked. Skipper landed one out the same mould and also released one a few kg bigger. The second fish I lost was one of those proper 40lb'ers...gotta be ready for them. The third katonkel never got to be released LOL. Ended up being a great day out @ sea after a whole day of beautiful mombak out in the deep. A bad day fishing is better than a good day in the office!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 10:20:19 am by Visenvryheid »

Offline Lenny

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 122
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #2089 on: August 12, 2019, 01:42:01 pm »
Ohhhh jinne , love my geelbek fishing , proper EATING machines .

Offline HooknCook

• Ultimate member
« Reply #2090 on: August 13, 2019, 02:09:56 pm »
Nicely done chaps!!

Offline CLS

• Born to fish forced to work.
  • Ultimate member
  • Cred: 114
« Reply #2091 on: September 03, 2019, 09:17:59 am »
Been a few decent fish around lately but have to fish hard for them.
A bad days fishing is better than sitting at home moping.

Offline CLS

• Ultimate member
« Reply #2092 on: September 03, 2019, 09:19:23 am »
Nice fish well done to the lighties :rck" I Wish the snoek would start coming this side!! :-(
You still fishing ??? haven't seen you around for awhile ........

Offline CLS

• Ultimate member
« Reply #2093 on: September 18, 2019, 01:06:13 pm »
Fished Saturday in a big swell and cold water, fishing was slow and tough but managed a Bek and cracker as well as some nice soldiers and slinger, caught some of the biggest mackerel I have ever seen in the deep, well over a kg in size.

Offline HooknCook

• Ultimate member
« Reply #2094 on: September 18, 2019, 08:36:39 pm »
Battled to get out the last couple weeks with the Clubs tractor being down but we did geta couple days in. Did a day out of DUC and the sharks were wild at the barge chowing 5 tuna! We then had a go on another day for some Garrick and got 2, 1 being a real bus around 16-18kg and both were safely released, the big one before I could get a photo, accidentally dropped it back into the drink picking it up. Sunday we fished and the Snoek were just absolutely crazy!! Managed to get what we wanted for the pot and released a bunch more and got a nice sized Daga for the pan!

Offline maganything

• Ultimate member
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #2095 on: September 19, 2019, 09:20:59 am »

Nicely done Chris and Charles.
I just had a knee opp, so i am out of action for a while. Hopefully all sorted just before summer gamefish arrive.

Also just sold my boat, so if either of you need crew, just shout.

Offline Umpa Lumpa

• The Ocean is my Haven!!!
  • Ultimate member
  • Cred: 121
  • The Big Blue Ocean is our Sanctuary
« Reply #2096 on: September 19, 2019, 02:49:15 pm »
Haibo, that was a new boat, upgrading again?

Offline maganything

• Ultimate member
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #2097 on: September 20, 2019, 11:42:41 am »

You know me bud... Get an itch and it must be scratched.

There is something in the pipeline that im working toward, but if it comes together will only be middle to late 2020. If it happens this will be the boat that i have for a very long time. Lets see.

Offline Umpa Lumpa

• The Ocean is my Haven!!!
  • Ultimate member
  • Cred: 121
  • The Big Blue Ocean is our Sanctuary
« Reply #2098 on: September 20, 2019, 03:34:29 pm »

You know me bud... Get an itch and it must be scratched.

There is something in the pipeline that im working toward, but if it comes together will only be middle to late 2020. If it happens this will be the boat that i have for a very long time. Lets see.

Cool. hope your plan comes together, not missing out on much at moment with all this wind, take it easy hope the knee is coming right.