Author Topic: KZN Offshore - Whatzup  (Read 453846 times)

Offline L Hooker

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 55
Re: KZN Offshore - Whatzup
« Reply #2040 on: March 01, 2019, 08:17:15 AM »
Congrats great catch  (clap)

Offline maganything

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 68
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #2041 on: March 01, 2019, 08:58:33 AM »

Great fish boys! Well done!

Offline Chigger

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 26
« Reply #2042 on: March 05, 2019, 03:45:45 PM »
Well done boys on  :billf::rck" :rck"........I am very  :envy..but :bow: :resp:

Offline maganything

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 68
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #2043 on: March 18, 2019, 07:40:46 AM »

I launched on Saturday morning.
Plan was too look for a couta and tuna.
We got bait easily in the vetchies basin and headed north.

Set the spread and started working the area. After 5 mins a pod of dolphin came past and i through my popper into the mix, 3 pops and i was on.
Boat a nice 14kg YFT in about 3 mins, the sargossa and assasin teaching that fish a lesson.

Carried on working the area and the down rigged massbunker was picked up, fish was fighting strangely and i was puzzled as to what it was, but it came alongside the boat and saw it was a small couta. First couta for the season so ill take it.

We dropped a very nice bull dorado after a spectacular aerial display.

NE chased us off the water at about 10am. Nice new service at the club where they wash your boat and clean your fish while you enjoy a beer.

Was lekker to see bwana (Mark) get some nice snoek with his lighty, im sure he will post some pics!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 07:41:10 AM by maganything »

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 50
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #2044 on: March 18, 2019, 07:45:32 AM »

After 5 mins a pod of dolphin came past and i through my popper into the mix, 3 pops and i was on.
Boat a nice 14kg YFT in about 3 mins, the sargossa and assasin teaching that fish a lesson.

Thanks for the report... I'm curious... Do YFT usually accompany the dolphin? Are you not worried about a dophin taking your popper?
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Bwana

• Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 206
  • Deep Blue Addict
« Reply #2045 on: March 18, 2019, 10:12:26 AM »
We planned a trip to Durban to target snoek as the snoek season usually kicks in from mid-March. With a good weather forecast for this past weekend we towed the boat up from Shelly Beach planning to fish Saturday and Sunday to get the lighty his first snoek. We launched at first light and headed up to Blue Lagoon where we found absolutely filthy water. All of the emphasis in the media lately about plastic pollution has created valuable awareness on this shocking phenomenon and seeing walls of plastic and floating debris in the ocean directly off Blue Lagoon was an eye opener! We moved north towards Hyper and found some cleaner water in 8m with a few birds and bonnies working the sprats. We fished two strip baits and two Strike Pro's and cast with the flick sticks wherever we found the action. We had two hookups on the spoons but both came off before we found a decent rip that yielded Ryan's first proper hookup and eventually he landed his first snoek - a real bus of 7,4kg. We had a few more chases and hookups eventually landing 4 more all in the 3-5kg range on the fillets and spoons with Stuart getting two and Ryan getting two as well. We were the only boat in the area the whole morning which was great. What was important was putting in the time and seeing out the turn of the tide which is when most of the guys usually give up and head off to search for fish in the deep. The rips and currents that attract the snoek move around through the morning as the tide drops and then pushes again so you constantly need to be aware of where the rips are and concentrate your efforts there. Snoek don't just feed at first light, they can be active throughout the day and 3 of our 5 fish came out in bright sunshine between 10am - 11.30am all on the surface so it goes to show if you put in the time you will be rewarded!
Tackle used:
Shimano Sustain 5000 reels, Shimano Vengeance 8ft spinning rods, 20lb Gosen braid, 1m of 25lb fluoro leader and the CID casting sprats in 80mm size (absolute snoek magnets!)Shimano Torium 30's, shimano Talavera 6'6 trolling rods, 20lb Berkely Blue IGFA line, 25lb fluoro and the pearl coloured Snoek Candy traces with clear CID skirt (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=12657.msg196308#msg196308)
Unfortunately our plans for fishing the Sunday were dealt a blow when one of my crew ended up with food poisoning so we cancelled the day to be on the safe side. Was good to catch up with Scott at the Club on Saturday and to admire his awesome new boat which by the looks of things has some good luck as he got a nice yellowfin and a couta on the Saturday.
Some pics:

« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 10:23:56 AM by Bwana »

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #2046 on: March 18, 2019, 10:14:47 AM »
 (clap)  Nice fish Ryan  :cgrts:
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline dugong

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 54
« Reply #2047 on: March 18, 2019, 12:49:36 PM »
WELL DONE!! :rck" :rck" :rck"
Nice to see the snoek are there, it was very bad last year and has been bad up till now with very few guys targeting them.
I see you have a 146 Raider, it must be the one I saw at the club on Saturday, I ran one for about five years, nice little boats and much drier than a SkiVee w;k
Just Fish!!!

Offline Bwana

• Ultimate Hero
  • Deep Blue Addict
« Reply #2048 on: March 18, 2019, 01:23:53 PM »
WELL DONE!! :rck" :rck" :rck"
Nice to see the snoek are there, it was very bad last year and has been bad up till now with very few guys targeting them.
I see you have a 146 Raider, it must be the one I saw at the club on Saturday, I ran one for about five years, nice little boats and much drier than a SkiVee w;k
Thanks bud. Ja if you put in the time you will get the fish!
Yes that was ours at the club, lovely little rig and as you say very dry for small mono  :corrct:

Offline FFF

• Cred: 99
  • Its all about kids catching fish
« Reply #2049 on: March 18, 2019, 04:35:18 PM »
Well done Mark. Very nice to see Ryan with a proper snoek. Let me know when you coming this way again. Kieran's Cricket season is now finished so hopefully more time on the water.

Offline HooknCook

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 6
« Reply #2050 on: March 18, 2019, 04:37:43 PM »
Well done Mark!

Offline dugong

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #2051 on: March 19, 2019, 08:47:49 AM »
"What was important was putting in the time and seeing out the turn of the tide which is when most of the guys usually give up and head off to search for fish in the deep. The rips and currents that attract the snoek move around through the morning as the tide drops and then pushes again so you constantly need to be aware of where the rips are and concentrate your efforts there. Snoek don't just feed at first light, they can be active throughout the day and 3 of our 5 fish came out in bright sunshine between 10am - 11.30am all on the surface so it goes to show if you put in the time you will be rewarded!"

100% Mark, I have fished that stretch for many years(starting in the the days of Clark spoons and sprat feathers - no fillets w;k)its especially important there as its a beach break and the banks are constantly changing from week to week, whereas if you go around the corner you have reef patches to work, same for Peace Cottage and up.
If you arrive there at say 6-6:30 on the springs high the fishing is generally poor(especially in a low swell)......give it an hour or two and start looking for the drains and you often end up with 1-2 hrs of action. Depending on the waves I will often work the drains by doing big circles into 2m and out to 6m(the problem with this is if there are lots of boats around) WATCH THE WAVES!! (bat I have got into a habit that as soon as a rod goes away I swing east and hit idle!
If there are sprats getting clubbed it is generally in deeper water 8-12m - let the spoon sink a bit for snoek as more often than not bonnies will take it near the top.
For some reason I have found the late afternoon/evening spring high can offer fireworks - drifting and throwing sprat spoons :rck"
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 08:52:37 AM by dugong »
Just Fish!!!

Offline L Hooker

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 55
« Reply #2052 on: March 19, 2019, 09:12:10 AM »
Congrats on the catches Bwana Scott  (clap)

Offline Bwana

• Ultimate Hero
  • Deep Blue Addict
« Reply #2053 on: March 20, 2019, 09:04:45 AM »
"What was important was putting in the time and seeing out the turn of the tide which is when most of the guys usually give up and head off to search for fish in the deep. The rips and currents that attract the snoek move around through the morning as the tide drops and then pushes again so you constantly need to be aware of where the rips are and concentrate your efforts there. Snoek don't just feed at first light, they can be active throughout the day and 3 of our 5 fish came out in bright sunshine between 10am - 11.30am all on the surface so it goes to show if you put in the time you will be rewarded!"

100% Mark, I have fished that stretch for many years(starting in the the days of Clark spoons and sprat feathers - no fillets w;k )its especially important there as its a beach break and the banks are constantly changing from week to week, whereas if you go around the corner you have reef patches to work, same for Peace Cottage and up.
If you arrive there at say 6-6:30 on the springs high the fishing is generally poor(especially in a low swell)......give it an hour or two and start looking for the drains and you often end up with 1-2 hrs of action. Depending on the waves I will often work the drains by doing big circles into 2m and out to 6m(the problem with this is if there are lots of boats around) WATCH THE WAVES!! (bat I have got into a habit that as soon as a rod goes away I swing east and hit idle!
If there are sprats getting clubbed it is generally in deeper water 8-12m - let the spoon sink a bit for snoek as more often than not bonnies will take it near the top.
For some reason I have found the late afternoon/evening spring high can offer fireworks - drifting and throwing sprat spoons :rck"

Some solid info there! Thanks for sharing those tips I'll keep them in mind. I agree about the swell, need to be WIDE AWAKE especially when fighting a fish.

Offline dugong

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #2054 on: March 20, 2019, 09:38:08 AM »
Good memories on my Raider, lots of snoek on her and my PB!!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 09:40:45 AM by dugong »
Just Fish!!!

Offline Umpa Lumpa

• The Ocean is my Haven!!!
  • Ultimate member
  • Cred: 122
  • The Big Blue Ocean is our Sanctuary
« Reply #2055 on: March 30, 2019, 09:14:32 PM »

After 5 mins a pod of dolphin came past and i through my popper into the mix, 3 pops and i was on.

Thanks for the report... I'm curious... Do YFT usually accompany the dolphin? Are you not worried about a dophin taking your popper?

Correct, that is why guys chase the dolphins as the YFT swim with them, you will win the lotto before you hook a Dolphin.

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 338
  • www.bluewatercharters.co.za
« Reply #2056 on: March 30, 2019, 09:44:07 PM »

Correct, that is why guys chase the dolphins as the YFT swim with them, you will win the lotto before you hook a Dolphin.

Correction - You will win the lotto 30 days in a row and still not hook a Dolphin. They way to smart
BLUE WATER CHARTERS DURBAN - Marlin, Tuna and Big Game Fishing - www.bluewatercharters.co.za

DURBAN CRUISE BOAT - Harbour and Sea Cruises in Durban - www.durbancruiseboat.co.za

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #2057 on: March 30, 2019, 09:48:55 PM »
Thanks guys. Good to know that.  :uarocks

Offline dugong

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #2058 on: April 24, 2019, 07:41:50 AM »
Anybody know what happened with the DSBC comp :dunno:
Just Fish!!!

Offline Fishlus Mark

• Cred: 4
« Reply #2059 on: April 24, 2019, 08:04:29 AM »
It was a wet and cold comp.
Saturday was cancelled and moved to Sunday/Monday. Mondays close was 12. Quite frankly they should of only fished Sunday as people had to travel.
Only 74 fish brought to the scales, 600+ anglers - that's all species. Don't know how many couta in that lot.
Winning fish was 22.54 JJ van Rensburg.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal