Author Topic: Alternate leader setups to the "NZ" rig  (Read 6175 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Alternate leader setups to the "NZ" rig
« on: November 04, 2011, 11:21:58 AM »
Right guys, here are a few examples of different leader setups than can be used for short line nymphing. Again my drawings are not the definitve/must use/only setups. There are plenty different variations that can be used. These should give you a good idea of how you can still use a heavy control fly to get down to the fish if you don't like the NZ rig. The knot used to tie the loops is entirely preference.
 
Alternately some guys use tiny 3 way swivels or micro tippet rings or even loop to loop joins to add flies. The distance between the flies all depends on where you want your flies to drift through the water column.
 
I've used red arrows to indicate different placements for the heavier control fly.
NB: these drawings aren't to scale!
 
2 fly setups:
 

 

 
3 fly setups:
 

 


Heres an example of typical lengths:
 

 
These lengths are a guideline only!!!
 
If needs be a revolving dropper can be added to the 2 fly rig to convert it into a 3 fly rig.
If anyone has a sketch they'd like me to add, drop me a PM, no problemo! w;k

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Alternate leader setups to the "NZ" rig
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 11:23:21 AM »
 :resp: Rory another great post!

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Alternate leader setups to the "NZ" rig
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 11:55:19 AM »
I caught my first yellow on the first rig!

Rory thank you for taking the time to do these!  :+ cred:
Squid Happens!

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Alternate leader setups to the "NZ" rig
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 12:58:14 PM »
The 3 fly set up you showed is what was allowed in the comps, flys were not alowed to be closer than 40cm.
You drawings are excellent  :win: , how do you do them?

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Alternate leader setups to the "NZ" rig
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 01:40:05 PM »
Lekker report as all ways  (clap)   

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Alternate leader setups to the "NZ" rig
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 02:11:26 PM »
Rory sorry for the hijack, but I also like this setup, I call it a combined rig.......

« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 02:11:49 PM by E.T. »

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Alternate leader setups to the "NZ" rig
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 02:22:03 PM »
Rory sorry for the hijack, but I also like this setup, I call it a combined rig.......



ET, that is the New Zealand type rigging to your point fly like on the other thread which this post was to offer an alternative to that.

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Alternate leader setups to the "NZ" rig
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 02:33:37 PM »
I know that Mike. I just like this Czech/NZ reg, thats why I call it combined.


You can also tie the middle fly in with a loop, then you can change it if need be and then it's actually the same as the Czech Nymph rig.


When the Czech Nymph Rig as explained by Rory is slow or not producing any fish, I change to this and boom, I am into fish. :hnthnt:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 02:34:54 PM by E.T. »

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Alternate leader setups to the "NZ" rig
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 02:53:39 PM »
Rory sorry for the hijack, but I also like this setup, I call it a combined rig.......



Lol! Post away! I use that exact rig on occasion as well!! :clwn
 
Posted the rig long ago: http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,512.0.html

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Alternate leader setups to the "NZ" rig
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 02:55:36 PM »

...............You drawings are excellent  :win: , how do you do them?..........

Mike depending which computer I end up on I'll draw them in either Adobe Illustrator or CorelDRAW, and then convert them into .jpg format for posting.

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Alternate leader setups to the "NZ" rig
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 02:57:59 PM »
Quote

Lol! Post away! I use that exact rig on occasion as well!! :clwn
 
Posted the rig long ago: http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,512.0.html


Rory that rig is one of my favorites for the Vaal... w;k

Offline Manuel Junior

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 579
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Maputo,Mozambique
Re: Alternate leader setups to the "NZ" rig
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 11:40:36 PM »
Great post!!! Rory :resp:

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal