Author Topic: Fishing in the okakvango  (Read 5125 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Reef Inmate

  • REEF INMATE
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 48
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Joburg
Fishing in the okakvango
« on: August 10, 2011, 07:28:27 AM »
I am working on a two year contract in Maun, Botswana. There is not much to do here so every bit of time off we go fishing. The main species here are Bream, African Pike, Barbel and further up, Tiger fish. I fished the bream classic up the Okavango river in Shakawe. Was hopping for the Zambezi classic but i cant go this year, maybe next year. I will be going to the barbel run in September  Instead of writing the same stories and posting pics on all the different forums I am on I started a blog that one can follow, with stories and pics of my fishing adventures while in Botswana. http://theafricanangler.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:29:27 AM by Reef Inmate »
LvZ

Offline Zetti

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fishing in the okakvango
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 07:35:09 AM »
I used to travel all over africa, desert regions, so no such luck for me. Being able to fish when not working must make it more enjoyable.
 
Enjoy the barbel run. The tigers are also very active during the barbel run if i'm not mistaken?
 
 :tite

Offline Reef Inmate

  • REEF INMATE
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 48
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Joburg
Re: Fishing in the okakvango
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 07:39:28 AM »
Yeah that's the reason I'm going to the barbel run, apparently the tigers are wild, chasing the barbel.
LvZ

Offline Zetti

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fishing in the okakvango
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 07:45:05 AM »
 :envy  We are doing a 2 week Botswana - Caprivi trip next year end of August, begining of September. When does the barbel run start usually?

Offline Reef Inmate

  • REEF INMATE
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 48
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Joburg
Re: Fishing in the okakvango
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 08:40:20 PM »
Normally around the end of August. There are reports of small shoals of barbel already. Ill be there in a few weeks  :fshn:
LvZ

Offline sardinella

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 735
  • Cred: 24
  • Gender: Male
  • I like to spinfish
  • Location: St Lucia, KZN
Re: Fishing in the okakvango
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 10:24:14 PM »
"o k*K, van go" 'n vis   :hehe:

williamc

  • Guest
Re: Fishing in the okakvango
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 01:06:58 PM »
Hi


I am working at Orapa until end November and would like to get in some fishing in the Okavango. Do you have any suggestions regarding place to stay boat hire etc.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal