Author Topic: Make your own TWISTED LEADERS  (Read 62155 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Make your own TWISTED LEADERS
« on: June 26, 2010, 03:28:12 PM »
Make your own Twisted leaders
 
Twisted Leaders were invented a long time ago, probably in the early 80's by guys fishing for BlueFin Tuna. The technique in making them has been adapted over the years and I learnt this method from Luke Wyrsta of GTPopping.com.

The theory is that the initial shock of a big GT taking a Popper often led to break offs, so these were designed to add stretch to the leader, providing amazing shock absorption.
 
Twisty's are expensive to make. Normally, for a 4m Fluorocarbon Leader, one would need 8m of Fluoro, because essentially, the leader is doubled. This provides a twisted doubled leader, which provides incredible stretch and abrasion resistance. We used these on a trip to Kilwa and amongst 4 anglers fishing for 9 days non-stop, we never had a single failure...
 
There are a number of ways to make a TWISTY, most involve at least 2 people; however this is a method that you can use all on your own...
 
 
 

 

 
 

 

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 The preferred method of joining a Twisty to Braid mainline would be the MODIFIED CATS PAW KNOT -

Make a doubled loop in the Braid with a Braid Stitch or Bimini, and join the twisty with the Modified Cats Paw.

Offline shagnrelease

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Make your own TWISTED LEADERS
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 09:00:21 PM »
Have not tried this yet Reefs, but I reckon I will be giving it a go!! me likes,thanks for sharing.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Make your own TWISTED LEADERS
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 09:03:44 PM »
If you like, I can do a demo at the Social on 14th? Let me know so I can bring the stuff with...

F.L.A.S.H

  • Guest
Re: Make your own TWISTED LEADERS
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 09:04:02 PM »
very nice Reefs, but i take the use of the twisted leader is mainly for boating

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Make your own TWISTED LEADERS
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 09:05:54 PM »
For Popping off the boat, targetting BIG GT's and Doggie's.

Offline shagnrelease

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Make your own TWISTED LEADERS
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 09:09:43 PM »
If you like, I can do a demo at the Social on 14th? Let me know so I can bring the stuff with...

 :pray: :pray: please do, i would love to see it done. whats the thickest mono/fluoro you have used this with?

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Make your own TWISTED LEADERS
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 01:10:29 PM »
Thickest is 1.5mm Sufix Zippy...

Offline steve m

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 241
  • Cred: 25
  • Location: cape town
Re: Make your own TWISTED LEADERS
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 03:37:47 PM »
Very nice Tony!

afew questions...

Have you casted them off heavy rock and surf tackle before? reason i ask is i think this could work very well for sharks...  :sml:

Do you like the suffix zippy? how do you find its abrasion risistance? i found the 1mm to work nicely but the abrasion risistance was not great and the thicker diameters where VERY expensive R2 per meter for 1.2mm!!! then i tried perlon in any diameter over 1mm and it is the best line in my opinion for thickier diameters as it has great abrasion risistance,cheap at R40 for 100m,knots easilly and low visibility!
thanks
steve

TUNAMAN

  • Guest
Re: Make your own TWISTED LEADERS
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 03:47:22 PM »
Great post REEFS thanks for sharing. Some of my questions will be the same so will await the answers.

Thanks again.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Make your own TWISTED LEADERS
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 03:51:32 PM »
Very nice Tony!

afew questions...

Have you casted them off heavy rock and surf tackle before? reason i ask is i think this could work very well for sharks...  :sml:

Do you like the suffix zippy? how do you find its abrasion risistance? i found the 1mm to work nicely but the abrasion risistance was not great and the thicker diameters where VERY expensive R2 per meter for 1.2mm!!! then i tried perlon in any diameter over 1mm and it is the best line in my opinion for thickier diameters as it has great abrasion risistance,cheap at R40 for 100m,knots easilly and low visibility!
thanks
steve

I've never got round to using them for R/S, reason being to make a 9m leader, you would need to use 18m of nylon... works out quite expensive!
I love Suffix Zippy, because of it's suppleness. But over 1.2mm I will use Berkley Big game... very expensive, but also soft and supple for good knots, the best leader imo. Then also we use Shogun leaders in the 1.2mm-1.8mm range for wind-ons - good value for money and has landed many big sharks - Most of the Gauteng league anglers use it.

Offline Nepptune

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 147
  • Cred: 7
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Make your own TWISTED LEADERS
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 04:00:26 PM »
Reefs I used Twisties extensively on my recent trip, I made them the easy way, with two people and a cordless drill!! :-)

I used 100lb Zippy and made mine pretty short, about 1.5 metres, and then used a 240lb Bite Trace leader of about 80cm to a 100cm....

Attached with the Cairns quickie, and really loved them... even the super short ones, casted like a dream, and when I got hit right in the shorebreak by that Cuda, lots of perfect shock absorbtion...

Go the Twisties

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Make your own TWISTED LEADERS
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 04:45:13 PM »
Nepps on your recent trip? Report? Where? Fishing from the shore?!
I love twisties too, but I can't seem to get around casting with my finger on braid... just don't dig it. So all my leaders will fit onto the reel - just much more comfortable and you can hit a cast so much harder with finger on nylon, rather than braid. But then I'm often a bit of a spazz with my ideas...  :cnfzd

Offline LUPO

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 397
  • Cred: 31
  • He is watching you!
  • Location: Cape Town, Western Cape
Re: Make your own TWISTED LEADERS
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 04:50:23 PM »
Hey Reefman, once again an outstanding tut.  Even though I will probably never use it as I R&S edibles, your tuts are  always well explained and pics are great.
 (clap) (clap)
The LORD is not interested in what you have done or doing. HE is only interested in what you are BECOMING!

Offline Tommo

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1188
  • Cred: 220
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pennington
Re: Make your own TWISTED LEADERS
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 05:06:07 PM »
Reefz, this is truly an excellent tutorial. You have really great way of explaining things and making them simple. I spent many hours checking out Aussie sites for simple twisty workshops and you have got it spot on. I am a huge fan of the twisty leader, particularly for popping for GT's and Doggies.
I put an article into the current Ski-Boat mag about twistys, but did do nearly as good a job with regards to how to make them as you have done here!

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Make your own TWISTED LEADERS
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 05:16:40 PM »
Cheque's in the post Tommo!  w;k

Offline Nepptune

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 147
  • Cred: 7
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Make your own TWISTED LEADERS
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 05:44:53 PM »
Reefs - Yip, casting off the beach mate... I did a full harcore camp out mission with Earl Strydom and Bertus J v Rensburg for 5 days on the sand spits off Linene.. was more like 4 days of missioning, and 1 day of fishing, but had an absolute blast...

Very little fishing done, but managed a big Sea Spike in the surf ( think its posted somewhere here )

Typically the day after I left the boys hooked up with some mates, moved into some plush accommodation, and prioceeded to HAMMER the GT's with 2 x 35 kilos, and 1 of 38 kilos included in the mix, all on Sticks and poppers.... Earl got 2 x 30 kilo class fish on back to back casts... the okes were busy tagging his first one and he shot a cast out and nailed the second!!! :-)

I've got the pics, and video to come...
Unfortunately I missed out on the action as I had to come back to work, but had a superb trip, any time spent in those boys company is sublime, and 3 GT nuts like Earl, Bertus and myself camped on a deserted sandspit island, hiding from the powers that be cause we weren't supposed to be there, playing countless games of sh*thead, drinking plenty of gin and tonic ( with no ice!! ) buggering around with mountains of tackle, talking fishing an k@k 24/7, is just plain amazing...
we've already commited to a yearly trip, the 3 of us... next time I get the first 3 casts though!! :-)

Reefs I was popping with PE 10 Braid mate, and gloves, so don't have any trouble with hooking my finger on the braid, and I really like not having the leader come off the spool as I think this is where the most issues occur with wind/casting knots... Having the leader to braid connection somwhere between the reel and the second guide is optimum for me, and my casting action...but that being said, thats what suits my casting action...

Gloves are a must for sure though in my opinion...

Offline Tommo

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1188
  • Cred: 220
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pennington
Re: Make your own TWISTED LEADERS
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 05:58:58 PM »
Sounds awesome Nepps, that Linene area is one of my favourite parts of Africa when it comes to casting poppers! Earl is also a cool guy to be out there with.
I am hoping to be spending a fair bit of time this summer fishing for those GT's off the spits and over the reefs at Linene!

Offline Nepptune

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 147
  • Cred: 7
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Make your own TWISTED LEADERS
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 06:18:31 PM »
Tommo - I'm hoping to be back up there with Earl sometime in December, perhaps we'll get a chance to bash some Geets together... it truly is a spectacular part of the planet, can't wait to get back!

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Make your own TWISTED LEADERS
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 06:25:03 PM »
I like this leader, I use short ones now for light vertical jigging and they really absorb the shock when you geta hit.

Offline Ianzo

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 3
  • Location: Witbank, Mpumalanga
Re: Make your own TWISTED LEADERS
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 06:28:44 PM »
Reefs I used Twisties extensively on my recent trip, I made them the easy way, with two people and a cordless drill!! :-)

I used 100lb Zippy and made mine pretty short, about 1.5 metres, and then used a 240lb Bite Trace leader of about 80cm to a 100cm....

Attached with the Cairns quickie, and really loved them... even the super short ones, casted like a dream, and when I got hit right in the shorebreak by that Cuda, lots of perfect shock absorbtion...

Go the Twisties

nepps do you attach the twisty to the bite trace by a simple uni? and do you ensure that this knot is outside your guides when casting?

Nice constructive post guys :tkx:

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal