Author
Topic: My Rietvlei trace  (Read 6592 times)

Offline Naruto

• Cred: 30
  • Ultimate Freshie
My Rietvlei trace
« on: August 04, 2011, 03:10:42 pm »
This is how I make my Rietvlei traces which I use for conventional bankangling.

First off I make hooklinks. These are then easily made into sliding rietvlei or single hook traces. For the hooklinks I use XX Legend 0.21mm line. What I like about his line is its ability to strech a bit and this helps when playing the fish to prevent hookpulls or line breakage. On the one end I tie either my hook using a knotless-knot. Hook sizes range from #0.8 to #3. #2 being my preferred hook size. On the other end I tie a #10 swivel using a clinch knot. I put the line twice through the swivel eye before making the actual clinch-knot. This might sound very light tackle, but I have landed fish up to 4.5kg on this setup. For social fishing one might wish to upgrade to a 0.25mm line diameter which is more than enough for conventional freshwater angling. Hooklink lenght is normally ~13cm long, but this depends on the venue, ei. silty bottom = longer hooklinks,  or species targetted, ei. muddies = very short hooklinks.

Image 1: Hooklink

To complete a trace all that is needed is to tie the shaft line in and attaching the sinker etc.

Image 2: Shaft line attached to the bottom hook using the same clinch knot as mentioned above.

Image 3: Bead, sinker, gummi stop, bead and top hook threaded onto shaft line
“Every search begins with beginner’s luck. And every search ends with the victor’s being severely tested.”

1.   “…whoever you are, or whatever it is that you do, when you really want something, it's because that desire originated in the soul of the universe. It's your mission on earth."

Offline Naruto

• Ultimate Freshie
Re: My Rietvlei trace
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 03:12:30 pm »
Lastly the top of the shaft line is ended off into a loop using a double overhand knot. This is then easily slipped onto the snap swivel attached to you leader.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 03:13:39 pm by Naruto »
“Every search begins with beginner’s luck. And every search ends with the victor’s being severely tested.”

1.   “…whoever you are, or whatever it is that you do, when you really want something, it's because that desire originated in the soul of the universe. It's your mission on earth."

Offline Naruto

• Ultimate Freshie
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 03:17:00 pm »
Gummi stops, M1 sinker, #2 Ryoichi hooks, beads and swivels

Offline Kumz

• Retired
  • Cred: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 03:19:17 pm »
 :shre:

Offline Willie

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 237
  • Ultimate Novice
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 03:22:30 pm »
 :tkx:  Wll try the Rietvlei on Sunday + cred
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at office

Offline Naruto

• Ultimate Freshie
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 03:26:39 pm »
Hope it helps! If you fish a venue and get stuck a lot, you can always remove the top hook. This will help especially when playing a fish as the other hook won't get stuck. Sometimes when I social and I am targetting larger  :carp:, I will use only a bottom hook to ensure the landing of the fish.

Offline Willie

• Ultimate Champ
  • Ultimate Novice
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 03:28:17 pm »
I dont get a chance to play them they my fishing rod for themselves

Offline WalkersKiller

• Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Cred: 365
  • Conservation First!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 03:29:28 pm »
Superb post Naruto  :shre: + cred

How important is it to have stoppers between your 2 swivels as I have never thought about using them before?

Where could I get those gummie beeds?

Looking for my pb Carp on Sunday hope the weather stays constant!

Offline Naruto

• Ultimate Freshie
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 03:42:02 pm »
Superb post Naruto  :shre: + cred

How important is it to have stoppers between your 2 swivels as I have never thought about using them before?

Where could I get those gummie beeds?

Looking for my pb Carp on Sunday hope the weather stays constant!
Gummis you can get from any decent angling store. I think the float anglers also use them for adjusting the depth of the float. Only reason I use the gummis is to slide the top hook out of the way when putting on the mieliebomb. I know some guys like to slide the top hook away from the mieliebomb thus giving the bigger fish circeling the feed a scrap of bait to pick up as it is ussually the smaller fish that move into a feed spot first while the bigger fish wait to see if it is safe. There is a reason the are bigger as the are smarter as well.

Where will you be fishing on sunday?

Offline Kumz

• Retired
  • Cred: 0
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 03:46:06 pm »
Gummis you can get from any decent angling store. I think the float anglers also use them for adjusting the depth of the float. Only reason I use the gummis is to slide the top hook out of the way when putting on the mieliebomb. I know some guys like to slide the top hook away from the mieliebomb thus giving the bigger fish circeling the feed a scrap of bait to pick up as it is ussually the smaller fish that move into a feed spot first while the bigger fish wait to see if it is safe. There is a reason the are bigger as the are smarter as well.

Where will you be fishing on sunday?

u had to ask ??? where else ??? u asking Footloose King !!!  :hehe:

Offline Naruto

• Ultimate Freshie
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 03:53:34 pm »

u had to ask ??? where else ??? u asking Footloose King !!!  :hehe:
Haha!  :oops: Was hoping WK might be headed for newer waters... :hehe: :hehe:

Offline WalkersKiller

• Conservation First!
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 04:07:45 pm »
Cool thanks Naruto, sounds interesting...

Yip I am fishing at Footloose on Sunday, planning a trip to Bronkies soon though to try get a size carp and barbel  :fshn:

Offline Naruto

• Ultimate Freshie
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 09:51:51 am »
Tight lines guys! I am off to the Vaal tomorrow for our clubcomp. Hopefully I will have a good one and extend my lead in our club championship.

WK, Hope you get the PB you are looking for! When and where will you be going at Bronkies? And do you think it is worth targetting Bronkies?

Offline WalkersKiller

• Conservation First!
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 09:55:16 am »
Awesome stuff Clint  :tite

Thanks... Hopefully I will get a  :carp: out or 2  :-)

Dont know if it is worth it but I have always wanted to fish there... Going to do a weekend trip there when it warms up... Looks like a great dam and I know there are some monster  :brbel: there so I dont mind if I catch 1kg Carp the whole time!

Offline Naruto

• Ultimate Freshie
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 09:58:00 am »
Awesome stuff Clint  :tite

Thanks... Hopefully I will get a  :carp: out or 2  :-)

Dont know if it is worth it but I have always wanted to fish there... Going to do a weekend trip there when it warms up... Looks like a great dam and I know there are some monster  :brbel: there so I dont mind if I catch 1kg Carp the whole time!
Will you be going to the reserve side or to another venue?

Offline WalkersKiller

• Conservation First!
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 10:01:16 am »
Definitely the reserve side, have you fished there often?

Offline Naruto

• Ultimate Freshie
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 10:21:44 am »
It has been a long time since I have really fished there. Did do a sessionthere December. Got one fish out. Can't remember what dips and bait I used. What used to work well there in the past was mielie-pap wrapped around one sutana per hook, but that was when the dam was only 50% full and I think food was scarce. I do recall a guy sitting next to my a while back who was catching fish on wintergreen(Stuttafords). Don't know what combo etc he was using, but I am pretty sure you will see a pattern if you start of with the following.

Rod 1:
-One hook maize pip
-other hook earthworm
Something strong like TCP on the bomb

Rod 2:
-One hook floatie
-Other hook dough
Something sweet like Dusk&Dawn(works at most dams in the pretoria harties bronkies strip) on the bomb.

Try to find a nice spot where there is not a lot of watergrass that will bother you when playing a fish. The guys at the gate might be a good source of info regarding this.

Will you be taking a boat? Go to www.damcontours.co.za and check out the contours. This will help a lot in choosing a spot to drop your lines.

Offline WalkersKiller

• Conservation First!
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 10:34:38 am »
 :shre: that helps a lot I will give that a go... Wont be taking my boat, its at the coast so will more likely be looking for a chanel close to the river or a deeper drop off where I can feed an area 30-40 meters from the bank...

Thanks for the link though  :tkx:

Offline Willie

• Ultimate Champ
  • Ultimate Novice
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 10:42:32 am »
I stayed a lot at Kaya Manzi when we opened Diamond hill plaza. Right of where they are launching the boats is a jetty where a boathouse is moored. I have seen some big ones :carp: swimming around there.