Author Topic: RAPALA KNOT  (Read 4846 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
RAPALA KNOT
« on: June 25, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
.

Offline nico

  • The original man (*)(*)
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 773
  • Cred: 47
  • Gender: Male
  • Click above for cred!
  • Location: Gibraltar
Re: RAPALA KNOT
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 03:53:04 PM »
I would like to know who uses this knot extensively? I used it during the Shelley Beach comp last week to chunk for tuna. I have to say that I didn't have a single failure, including fighting a large(ish) shark to the boat (all that failed was my back).
 
I do not do the last step (shown as the 3rd step on this illustration where you insert the tag back in the loop formed after the twists). This makes it a bit neater, but it sure as hell still stays an ugly knot that just doesn't look or feel right! Some people finish it with a figure of eight instead of the twists, but I think the line passing twice through the granny knot is an integral part of the strength of this knot (stops it from cutting itself).
 
Anyone put this knot on a line tester before?
 
./n

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: RAPALA KNOT
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 04:05:36 PM »
Nico, if I'm fishing light tackle lures... dropshot, and spinning... it's the only knot I've ever used...! (and that goes back quite a few years!) It's the recommended lure trolling knot for Rapala's - hence it's name. It allows the lure to be unaffected by the knot to the mainline. The loop allows a completely free "action" of the lure...

Offline nico

  • The original man (*)(*)
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 773
  • Cred: 47
  • Gender: Male
  • Click above for cred!
  • Location: Gibraltar
Re: RAPALA KNOT
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 04:17:36 PM »
Sure, was really trying to find a table with knot strength per diameter - I get anything from 89% to 95% via google. It just doesn't look right if you know what I mean (been tying it in 50lb fluoro and up).
 
Anyway, it seems to do the job, so I guess I will keep using it  :tkx:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 04:17:52 PM by nico »

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: RAPALA KNOT
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 04:34:18 PM »
Ja I know exactly what you mean... it's an UGLY knot, just like the Spider Hitch!

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: RAPALA KNOT
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 09:34:09 PM »
I never use this knot, and I do not like it.
 
I use a fugure of eight knot pulled properly tight and it is extremely strong and you can control the size of your loop. It is also smaller and neater.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal