Author Topic: Fishing solo?  (Read 9290 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Fishing solo?
« on: April 29, 2011, 09:46:41 PM »
What's your opinion on fishing solo for gamefish? Talking about small boat (max 21-23 ft) and not venturing more that 15-20 nm offshore.... Maybe drifting, trolling and a bit of jigging?

I know of at least one fisherman doing it here in Maputo.. how do you guys feel about it? 

Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Fishing solo?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 10:07:47 PM »
Fishing inshore say 5nm I say cool no worries on your own, fishing 15-20nm out on your own........ Cockoo!!!

J-Rock

  • Guest
Re: Fishing solo?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 10:25:13 PM »
Not a good idea period!!! Out there alone wrestling someting that could potentially weigh 4x what you weigh... Safety in numbers! I hooked a biggie on the mountainside & it dragged me all over... After that i dont even attempt to hook a biggie unless my feet are firmly on the sand or i'm fishing with a friend... Back-up sometimes becomes essential...

Your call... w;k

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Fishing solo?
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 11:02:35 PM »
NOT a good idea. Read the link and you will realise how quickly things can and will go wrong. I was there when they brought his boat back and it was parked next to mine for a couple of days. There were several places where I could stick my thumb into the holes in the hull and the one motor was reduced to a stub. This guy had God with him and that was the only way he managed to survived this ordeal :resp:
http://www.nsri.org.za/2011/04/a-remarkable-story-from-2009-the-wayne-bergstrom-rescue/

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Fishing solo?
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 11:38:29 PM »
What's your opinion on fishing solo for gamefish? Talking about small boat (max 21-23 ft) and not venturing more that 15-20 nm offshore.... Maybe drifting, trolling and a bit of jigging?

I know of at least one fisherman doing it here in Maputo.. how do you guys feel about it?

I'm actually astounded that a level head like you is actually contemplating this!!  <:

You of all people should know the outdoors, and the unwritten rules.... never dive alone, never drive alone, and never jive alone! Driving includes 4x4 and boats!

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Fishing solo?
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 03:54:08 AM »
I'm sorry... maybe I've put the question the wrong way... I'm not contemplating doing it myself!!!!! For me fishing is a social experience above all so I don't think of doing it all by myself!!!! It's just that I've seen it done more and more, the guys launching from the club... just wanted to see how you guys feel about it.... for the record... I have 2 kids! :hnthnt:   
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline hbswart

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 109
  • Cred: 7
  • Gender: Male
  • Hooked on Billfishing
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Fishing solo?
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 09:07:06 AM »
I know we all love fishing, and hate the idea to stand on the beach, and not to have crew to launch. I was on the boat may years ago when my father got a heart attack in Durban. I was only 7 years old, we were fishing off a deep reef, you could barely see land. In those days there were no GPS systems. I had to find Durban Ski Boat club on my own. The moral of the story is, if something happen out there and you are alone, doesn't matter if it is 1 or 20 NM, you are dead and will not fish again. It is just not worth it
"I am still looking for the big mamma"
Handro

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Fishing solo?
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 09:10:32 AM »
You guys are right and I share your point of views.... I've seen people spearfishing on their own and all sorts of nonsence going on around here...
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Fishing solo?
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 09:13:15 AM »
I'm sorry... maybe I've put the question the wrong way... I'm not contemplating doing it myself!!!!! For me fishing is a social experience above all so I don't think of doing it all by myself!!!! It's just that I've seen it done more and more, the guys launching from the club... just wanted to see how you guys feel about it.... for the record... I have 2 kids! :hnthnt:

*phew* Jolly Good Marcos - glad to hear you're still level-headed!!  :rotfl
Guys who go out to sea alone....it's a bit reckless

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Fishing solo?
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 09:17:29 AM »
Yeah it's crazy... the angler I mentioned before is actually quite popular and a local "Champion"... but like you guys said... the risk just isn't worth it...
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline travelmember

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 663
  • Cred: 49
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town Western Cape
Re: Fishing solo?
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 09:41:36 AM »
mmm, but you could just as easy have a heart attack in your car the next time a taxi cuts you up. How do you know your limits without testing them? Have you never been inspired by Hemingway? What is the difference between a solo kayaker and jet skier, vs a solo skiboater?
FWIW, I have been fishing solo for over 30 years now - sometimes it is my preferred way of fishing.
However, when you do it, you know to do it properly. Auto inflating lifevest, safety fanny pack (flares, spare gps, vhf and cell), kill switches, etc. You will also need to modify the boat, autopilot with remote control, safety ropes etc.
Sure, it is not for everyone, and certainly not for inexperienced, irregular boaters, but if you are well prepared, well trained (I am ex NSRI, and would strongly recommend our younger guys to join up, your local base needs you!), confident of your abilities and wish to really feel good adrenaline and feel alive - there is nothing like handling a billfish on your own, or experiencing a double strike.
And remember to take a camera!
Also, please check with your insurance - some policies forbid it!

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Fishing solo?
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 10:35:14 AM »
I also tend to fish r&s solo not through choice but mainly necessity. When I go on a family holiday I am the only one who fishes sure you can occasionally find a UA member to meet up with but generally not everyday. However fishing solo does have its limits some spots are outta the question and landing a fish is often very difficult but what choice do I have?

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Fishing solo?
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 10:38:15 AM »
Having said all of this I would never fish at sea alone! Too many ways to get into trouble in fact just last week a boat went over at Kob in near mazeppa fortunately no lives were lost

Offline fedu

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 530
  • Cred: 70
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Luanda, Angola
Re: Fishing solo?
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 12:15:09 AM »
Just did it today and have done a couple times before, one of those previous times had an electric problem on the old boat that lead to a fire, had to deal solo first with the fire extinction and then with the repair.

After repairing the electrical problem still managed to fish, but it is never as pleasurable as going out with a mate.

Do not like it but some times the urge to go out into the ocean and de-stress wins and...

If possible would never do it but...

Offline CLS

  • Born to fish forced to work.
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1700
  • Cred: 114
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban - KZN
Re: Fishing solo?
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 01:50:32 PM »
Those who fish solo is because they dont have friends -  :craz: w;k w;k
A bad days fishing is better than sitting at home moping.

Offline fedu

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 530
  • Cred: 70
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Luanda, Angola
Re: Fishing solo?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 02:08:56 PM »
Or their friends are busy doing other things...

Some guys that used to fish solo were bottom fishing anglers that did not like to reveal their spots to avoid over fishing and destruction of the spot...

Offline dugong

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1676
  • Cred: 54
  • Location: Durban - Warmwater country!!
Re: Fishing solo?
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 08:38:30 AM »
I have fished solo many times off Durban and still do, nothing wrong with it, there are quite a few guys who do.
Just Fish!!!

Offline eric cotton

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fishing solo?
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 06:01:16 PM »
I have fished solo many times off Durban and still do, nothing wrong with it, there are quite a few guys who do.

Me too,,,love to have some mee time, without to many yackers on my boats

Offline JNaude

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 25
  • Cred: 1
  • Location: Bothaville Freestate
Re: Fishing solo?
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 06:26:05 PM »
Didnt know it is allowed?The guy who did the cof of my boat (seacat 16)stated min 2 persons on the certificate.It sure it is nicer and safer to fish with a buddy but sometimes crew are hard to come by.

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Fishing solo?
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 06:28:49 PM »
I like to go out on my boat solo, and this is my prefered method to relax and be alone.
You may say it is crazy, but then so is crossing the street.
Sure you cannot do all types of fishing alone, but I like it because I can do my own thing where, when and how I want.
How far does not really matter, and I will go out 40Nm alone no problem.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal