Author Topic: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports  (Read 215902 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #260 on: December 20, 2014, 03:01:35 PM »
Hannes, I was at Breezers yesterday and the guy there said the Grunters and Leeries are biting well. Problem is I don't know where in the lagoon. I just came back from a spinning session at Leisure Isle and caught nothing. However, I did see a Leerie chase but it was outside casting range.  :tite

Offline Mal Hannes

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 487
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Johannesburg
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #261 on: December 21, 2014, 07:20:52 AM »
So I waited with baited breath for the tide to go down to get some prawns. Managed a had full by 8 last night. Sitting on the jetty in front of point lodge l, I could not go to the front of the jetty as this gated with signs of private and some spikes on the top of the gate, I have a bite and a small fish is on. Immediately around the poles in front of the jetty.

So rod in hand I decide I can climb over the gate spikes and all.

Well one of the most precarious moments of my life ensued. A spike tore my pants right there where it matters and so I am hanging .... can't move ...if I go forward the spike is entering my  (excuse me) bag and it has now hooked into my shorts and holding on I can't go back without losing my balance. In the mean time the fish decided it is not so small and it is taking line.

Well a long story short, tore my pants, lost my fish, and I have an ugly red welt on my leg and a puncture wound somewhere else.

This morning it is funny yesterday  I was not impressed with myself.
Either I am fishing or dreaming of fishing!

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #262 on: December 21, 2014, 07:43:14 AM »
We arrived yesterday, took a spin up and down the river to see what was what. Little to no activity. Had a small misfire issue on the motor in the dark, I suspect it's only a spark plug failing. I'll let you guys know what happens later today. I'll be putting Connor (AKA my fish finder - he works better than my Lowrance DSi) on the nose of the boat. Provided the motor does not have an issue, which I don't think it does, we will cover the entire lagoon today and work the tides and see what we find. If they are there, we will find them.

Offline colin

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 752
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Kelland , Randburg
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #263 on: December 21, 2014, 08:02:03 AM »
Climbing over palisade or spiked fences is a NO NO . Know of one dog and two men that have died this way. One friend died impaled, (bled out), while his wife and her friend could not lift him off the barbed spike as he was too heavy, and the barbs worked further and further into his groin.   Colin. :toppie:
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline Mal Hannes

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 487
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Johannesburg
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #264 on: December 21, 2014, 09:31:16 AM »
Thanks for the concern Colin but this was not serious like that just funny.

Either I am fishing or dreaming of fishing!

Offline Mal Hannes

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 487
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Johannesburg
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #265 on: December 21, 2014, 04:03:42 PM »
Bummed a lift on a boat and we were fishing clo to train bridge in rough weather on small boat.

Nothing.

Came back to the jetty and caught a small stompie that went on for live  bait.

Had a huge run but lost it.
Either I am fishing or dreaming of fishing!

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #266 on: December 22, 2014, 11:23:38 AM »
I went for a 3 hour spinning session this morning and the water looked beautiful, nice colour and warm. I did not even see one Leerie which was a bit disappointing. At least a helicopter followed my lure but did not commit.  duh  :hehe:

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #267 on: December 22, 2014, 11:31:06 AM »
He came over to us near the mud flats and circled. Besides, too many boats where you are, the Leeries are a bit shy. Got the boat up and running again. Going later to see what is where. We will be back much later, so I can only post an update tomorrow.

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #268 on: December 22, 2014, 11:48:58 AM »
Robin, I am glad you got your boat sorted. I went fishing early, while it was still raining and the boats only came later when the rain cleared. I tried all the lures in my arsenal but nothing worked. I still enjoyed it even though I got nothing.

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #269 on: December 22, 2014, 01:09:45 PM »
Robin, I am glad you got your boat sorted. I went fishing early, while it was still raining and the boats only came later when the rain cleared. I tried all the lures in my arsenal but nothing worked. I still enjoyed it even though I got nothing.

It was just a faulty wire. Yesterday, Connor and I walked the bank of the Ashmead and it was way too quiet. No action on the water at all. We are going now and we will see if we can find a pattern in the movements and then we will talk. I need to see what is happening near the white bridge. The water temp is about 25C there.

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #270 on: December 22, 2014, 03:55:21 PM »
The area where I fished has got a steep drop-off and I counted to 13 before my bucktail got to the bottom.  :hnthnt:

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #271 on: December 22, 2014, 06:00:16 PM »
That bank where you were has a CLIFF! That is one of the biggest dropoff's I've seen. The wind was just too much. We got blown off the water. I'll see what happens a bit later.

Offline Mal Hannes

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 487
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Johannesburg
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #272 on: December 22, 2014, 07:05:53 PM »
According to guru it should be quiet by 8
Either I am fishing or dreaming of fishing!

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #273 on: December 23, 2014, 02:46:38 PM »
RobinF has invited me to go fishing with them this afternoon.  :yipee: :sreel: :grk:

Offline Mal Hannes

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 487
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Johannesburg
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #274 on: December 23, 2014, 03:12:54 PM »
Bye bye Knysna.

Better luck next time.



Style Lynne  Robin and Herman
Either I am fishing or dreaming of fishing!

Offline Mal Hannes

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 487
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Johannesburg
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #275 on: December 24, 2014, 10:47:13 PM »
This photo taken about a month ago by my bil while walking from waterfront.
Either I am fishing or dreaming of fishing!

Offline Mrzipo

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 36
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #276 on: December 26, 2014, 05:17:57 PM »
howzit fished the lagoon last week and got a couple kob all on cuttlefish bait
I also tried every lure I had and didn't get 1 hit
I fished most mornings 4.45 to 7am

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #277 on: December 29, 2014, 05:43:09 PM »


Angler       : Connor
Age          : 12yrs
Date         : 22/12/2014
Time         : 20:15
Location   : Knysna Lagoon
Fish          : Kob
Length     : 75.5cm
Weight    : 4.4Kg (Fishweights.co.za)
Bait         : Chokka Strip
Rod         : Sensation 6.6ft Bass Master
Reel        : Shimano Sienna 2500
Line         : Sufix 10Lb Braid
Hook:      : 6/O Circle
RELEASED

Report:   Tide was outgoing, just after sunset. Connor launched the Chokka into a   dropoff where we normally see Garrick patrolling. The pick up was a   soft pull and I saw Connor holding the rod low and was wondering what he   was doing when he started gradually lifted the rod, I realised that he   was helping the circle hook to set on something. The reel just screamed   after that. Fight took about 7 minutes, Fish was too long for the net,   but we managed to get it onto the deck. Removed the circle hook, got a   quick one or two pics and safely released the Kob back. It swam off very   well and actually gave a big head shake and threw the lip-grip and off   it went. Connor's PB for Kob. 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 08:16:29 PM by RobinF »

Offline Chigger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 547
  • Cred: 26
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #278 on: December 29, 2014, 05:53:54 PM »
Nice catch Connor (clap)

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #279 on: December 29, 2014, 05:58:55 PM »
Angler       : Connor
Age          : 12yrs
Date         : 23/12/2014
Time         : 07h30
Location   : Knysna Lagoon
Fish          : Duckbill Ray
Length     : 86.0cm (Wingtip to wingtip)
Weight    : 11.17Kg (Fishweights.co.za)
Bait         : Chokka Strip
Rod         : Sensation 6.6ft Bass Master
Reel        : Shimano Sienna 2500 and the Lip-Grip
Line         : Sufix 10Lb Braid
Hook:      : 6/O Circle

True testament to this tiny rod's strength and the awesome power of the Duckbill Ray





If the Ray had not been so tired, my Lip-Grip would have been gone!


    Report: Outgoing tide, fishing in a spot that we know is a  predator paradise. Pick up was slow and sluggish and gradually started to  accelerate. The Ray never ran extremely far, but chose to fight dirty. Under  the boat, onto the bottom of the river, it even wrapped the line around the  anchor rope 5 times and only very quick actions kept Connor in the fight. With  30 minutes over, I said to Connor that the 10lb Braid or his 6.6ft Bass Master  were going to break. At 1hr and 20 minutes, the braid gave up and snapped. The  rod tip was very close to where I was standing, so I jumped up grabbed the line  and wrapped it around the lip-grip and handed it back to an exhausted Connor  and told him to carry on fighting. Old school hand fishing, he brought the Ray  up at 1hr and 27minutes. It was too big to land on deck and there were no sand  banks open yet. I reached overboard and pulled the circle hook with the pliers  and the fluorocarbon leader snapped at the hook and the ray was free to
go.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 06:06:32 PM by RobinF »

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal