Author Topic: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports  (Read 215842 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #220 on: October 09, 2014, 12:31:54 PM »
Wow! Great fish Robin... you guys are on fire!
 (clap)

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #221 on: October 09, 2014, 12:40:26 PM »
Champs for sure!
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Charles

  • The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1142
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Never ever give up!
  • Location: Mossel Bay and Beni, DRC
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #222 on: October 09, 2014, 12:44:14 PM »
 :resp: Nice fish! Well done.

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #223 on: October 09, 2014, 01:01:00 PM »
Awesome fish and on such light tackle too!

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #224 on: October 09, 2014, 01:25:27 PM »
 :happ: Great Steenbras,well done Kim.

Guys, it is such a pleasure to fish with Robin and his family. They are so organised and everyone knows exactly what to do when they get a fish. Once the fish is on board it takes only a couple of seconds to get the hook out, fish measured, quick photo and a safe release. They work together like a well oiled machine.
Also something worth mentioning is the effort they put in to clean the lagoon of rubbish. Robin will not drive past a plastic bag or bottle floating in the water, all rubbish gets picked up. HUGE  :resp:

Offline Mal Hannes

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 487
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Johannesburg
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #225 on: October 09, 2014, 11:45:57 PM »
Fantastic river fishing!

That steenie is great!

I have only caught 1 5kg steenbras in all my years fishing the Lagoon. Picked it up close to thetrain bridge and thought I hooked the train.

Well done that is a fish!
Either I am fishing or dreaming of fishing!

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #226 on: October 10, 2014, 04:39:12 AM »
Thanks for the great comments guys, it's 04h35 and we are about to go again and see what is where. The wind has been a major problem, but all in all so far so good.

Hermann, I will sms you later about tonight, but it looks like the wind will be pumping. Failing that, tomorrow morning? Think you can make that?

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #227 on: October 10, 2014, 07:48:05 AM »
Thanks Robin. Yes we will have to see because there are a couple of things that came up at work. I am off to Durban to inspect a factory.  :-(

Offline L Hooker

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1330
  • Cred: 55
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #228 on: October 10, 2014, 08:24:22 AM »
Well done  (clap) some great catches.. I am coming down to Knysna in December staying at Brenton on Lake its been 7yrs since I moved from the Garden Route so looking forward to it! Watching this thread with great interest, keep the pics coming :-)
Let us know when you are here, maybe we can meet up for fishing session or a  :beer:
Definitely Will do!

Offline Mal Hannes

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 487
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Johannesburg
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #229 on: October 10, 2014, 08:59:33 AM »
Hooker

When are you there?
Either I am fishing or dreaming of fishing!

Offline L Hooker

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1330
  • Cred: 55
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #230 on: October 10, 2014, 09:06:49 AM »
Hooker

When are you there?
From the15th Dec to around the 3rd Jan

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #231 on: October 10, 2014, 09:20:30 AM »
Mmm, I see a mini  :ult: social on the horizon. We should all get together, either for a fishing session or a beer or a braai.  :hnthnt:
or all the above.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 09:21:00 AM by SAfish »

Offline L Hooker

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1330
  • Cred: 55
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #232 on: October 10, 2014, 09:30:09 AM »
Mmm, I see a mini  :ult: social on the horizon. We should all get together, either for a fishing session or a beer or a braai.  :hnthnt:
or all the above.
:-) yebo yes

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #233 on: October 10, 2014, 10:52:44 AM »
Nothing much this morning other than a few smalls. Will go again this afternoon and tomorrow morning. Will update then.

Offline arnoldstrachan

  • Mr
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Stellenbosch Western Cape
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #234 on: October 11, 2014, 11:59:21 AM »
Good Afternoon everyone, I am not new to this forum in the sense that I have spent hours reading posts but I have never posted anything due to the fact that I have many more questions than answers!


My parents just recently moved to Knysna but I have been fishing there all my life. I look forward to posting pics and reports regularly as I come up to Knysna on a three week basis. I will be there from the 15th until the 19th October and will hopefully get some fishing in, between the skiing etc.


can anyone update me on the water temperature in the lagoon at the moment pls? We will probably go look for some bottom fish off natures valley on Saturday and I will post pics of any fish we catch. I look forward to hearing from you :tkx: :fshn:
Work hard in silence, let success make the noise!

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #235 on: October 11, 2014, 12:05:09 PM »
 :welc: Arnold. I am glad you decided to post and I am looking forward to your reports. RobinF has been fishing here the past week and he will be able to give you an update on the water temperature. When I fished with him last Sunday the water temperature ranged from 16 degrees at the Heads to 23 degrees above the white bridge.  :tite

Offline arnoldstrachan

  • Mr
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Stellenbosch Western Cape
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #236 on: October 11, 2014, 12:17:12 PM »
Thanks SA FISH! I hope the big leeries are still around! On my last trip in September we managed to land one (shown in my profile picture) on a medium sized mullet in front of the moored yacht "GLEE" but dropped another 3 which seemed as if they couldn't swallow the 30cm/900 gram mullets I was trolling (all I could get hold of). If I understand correctly it is neap tide next week, meaning finding mullets is going to be challenging. Any recommendations as to where to throw a cast net for them? I generally throw in the channels to the left of the road bridge as you drive onto Thesens at low tide but at neap tide I struggle there.
Work hard in silence, let success make the noise!

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #237 on: October 11, 2014, 12:48:31 PM »
That is a good area to get Mullets and you can also try around Leisure Isle. If I am on a boat I normally go to areas where the shore based anglers can't get.

Offline Nellis

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 100
  • Cred: 2
  • Location: Bellville
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #238 on: October 12, 2014, 12:11:31 AM »



That is puffer fish territory.. for me. Vir die laaste 11 jaar het ek nog nooit iets anders as 'n Blaasop daar (waar foto geneem is) gevang nie.
In hindsight everybody has 20/20 vision. This made me think; due to the abundance of Blaasop in the estuary... are they abundant due to Leeries not eating them or are Leeries there to eat them because they are abundant?  :cnfzd

Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #239 on: October 12, 2014, 01:06:23 AM »
nothing,as far as I know,eats blaasops(Tobys)...I  :dislike: them... (bat
Always be humble...

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal