Author Topic: John F's DIY: Mudflap tuna teaser  (Read 13390 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
John F's DIY: Mudflap tuna teaser
« on: March 13, 2011, 02:08:41 PM »
I'm always looking for the ultimate teaser... the one that will outperform every other one.... the most simple, practical and effective teaser... I think I finally got one that will take me there!

If one accepts the theory that your boat is a large moving FAD that will attract fish, it is quite logical that small fish will be moving along your FAD. With this is mind, and taking in consideration that my target species is  :billf: then I want my boat to be a tuna shelter - which is the most prized food item for any bill?!

Therefore, I present to you the mudflat tuna teaser... the concept is not new... in the US it has been used for some time...I've recently seen it in the Citation Angling Experience DVD and I was impressed how this looks underwater....

This is how I made mine:

1. Found a nice silhouette of a tuna on the internet;

2. Got hold of an old 3mm black rubber mat;

3. Used the tuna silhouette to draw into the rubber mat and cut 4 little tunas (about 30 cm long);

4. Used old 50 Lb line to build a "jumping" daisy chain of the tuna with a small ball singer on the last one.

5. Also very important: ball swivels should be tied in the middle of each of the rubber tuna - otherwise the line will twist like crazy! 

Pulled them flat on the teaser reel closed to be boat right next to the short corner kona!

Swims great and has minimal drag!

Pics to follow.
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Big Van

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 431
  • Cred: 33
  • Location: Middelburg Mpumalanga
Re: John F's DIY: Mudflap tuna teaser
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 07:21:58 AM »
Hi John
You are a clever boytjie. The teaser you saw on the DVD was our secret weapon for the SADSAA comp and it definately works. Mark who was on our team had copied it from Ryan Williamson on the trip they caught the grand slam. We lost our teaser within 20 minutes trolling it as a marlin came and slapped it right of the line. Luckily did we have a spare to replace it. It is easy and cheap to make and certainly works well. Good luck to get your first marlin.
Cheers and tight lines :win: :win:

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: John F's DIY: Mudflap tuna teaser
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 07:34:33 AM »
Thanks Big Van!

I'm confident... those things really swim awesome!
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Kumz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: John F's DIY: Mudflap tuna teaser
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 08:20:17 AM »
 :tkx: for sharing ... I look forward to seeing the Pics ...  w;k... :win:

Offline Bwana

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 916
  • Cred: 206
  • Gender: Male
  • Deep Blue Addict
  • Location: Shelly Beach, KZN
Re: John F's DIY: Mudflap tuna teaser
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 08:51:26 AM »
Hi John

Great work, why pay top dollar for the retail ones when they are so easy to make! I have been using this setup since early January and have had time to work through some glitches.

I have changed from the daisy chain format to an inline chain - each tunaflap has 500mm of 200lb leader crimped to a 200lb snap swivel, I fit eyelets to the head and tail of each tuna and then can simply add or remove the tuna from the chain as needed by snapping them on. We normally run one chain of 5 on the starboard corner ahead of the long corner lure and one short chain of 2 or 3 ahead of the short corner lure. So far we have raised marlin and good sized tuna on these teasers and had the one teaser completely destroyed by a marlin on the SADSAA trip as mentioned by BigVan. I am now considering adding a section of speargun rubber to act as a bungee like the guys use in the Cape to take some of the shock out of a marlin strike on the teaser. I'd also recommend beefing up your mono strength cos even though it has minimal drag fish tend to slam this thing hard!

These things are a  :win:

TUNAMAN

  • Guest
Re: John F's DIY: Mudflap tuna teaser
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 10:37:16 AM »
Excellant idea JOHNF.

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: John F's DIY: Mudflap tuna teaser
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 10:59:10 AM »
Here are the pics...

Note the ball sinkers in the last tuna and the swivels....
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Kumz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: John F's DIY: Mudflap tuna teaser
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 11:00:33 AM »
 :win:

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: John F's DIY: Mudflap tuna teaser
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 11:06:14 AM »
Thanks for the tips Bwana... I must confess, I'll be extremely happy just to see a marlin slam into one of these things right next to my duck!!!!

I made two... the one shown above goes into the short corner and the other one (with 5 tuna flaps) will ride on the long corner...
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Bwana

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 916
  • Cred: 206
  • Gender: Male
  • Deep Blue Addict
  • Location: Shelly Beach, KZN
Re: John F's DIY: Mudflap tuna teaser
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 11:11:10 AM »
Perfect! well done  (clap)

Something else I find useful is a luminous float / bead 1m from the front tunaflap to help see it easily in the swell behind the boat.


Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: John F's DIY: Mudflap tuna teaser
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 11:18:10 AM »
Very clever, I would love to see them in action swimming behind the boat.

Nice one  (clap) (clap)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 11:20:25 AM by Prego »

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: John F's DIY: Mudflap tuna teaser
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 11:20:28 AM »
Very clever, I would love to see it them in action swimming behind the boat.

Nice one  (clap) (clap)

Will try and extract a few pics from the CAE DVD...
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

TUNAMAN

  • Guest
Re: John F's DIY: Mudflap tuna teaser
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 11:21:20 AM »
Thanks for sharing it with us JOHNF Bwana, great of you guys. Can use all the help we can get.... w;k

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: John F's DIY: Mudflap tuna teaser
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 11:30:13 AM »
Here are two pics I've just extracted from the CAE DVD... the first one is a view from the boat and the second an underwater shot... tell me those things are not magic?!
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

benniejordaan

  • Guest
Re: John F's DIY: Mudflap tuna teaser
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 11:34:08 AM »
Bloody marvellous! I like it very much!

TUNAMAN

  • Guest
Re: John F's DIY: Mudflap tuna teaser
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 11:36:56 AM »
Love the silhouette!

Offline Kumz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: John F's DIY: Mudflap tuna teaser
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 11:38:17 AM »
Bloody marvellous! I like it very much!

 :corrct:....... I 2nd that ....  :win:

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: John F's DIY: Mudflap tuna teaser
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 11:46:11 AM »
If  you don't get you your 1st bill I don't know what will
 :appr:

I love how in depth your testing is on your self made lures.

Cred  2 you senhor. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 11:48:34 AM by Prego »

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: John F's DIY: Mudflap tuna teaser
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 11:50:31 AM »
 :tkx: Prego!

Got another shot, 3 weeks from now!

Will run the two mudflap teasers plus all the bombs in my arsenal...

 :billf:
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline shagnrelease

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: John F's DIY: Mudflap tuna teaser
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 12:08:22 PM »
Nice stuff Marcos, as Mark says a Float aid in front will help, also when you do lose them you stand a chance of recovering them, we lost a set of blades at the classic because I did not use floatation  :unhap :unhap

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal