Last weekend (20 Nov 2010), I launched at 05:30 with my dad and kid brother for a day out in the deep as part the 5th Clube Maritimo 2010 fishing compo (species + bills).
Early in the morning the water temp was 24oC and it went up to about 25oC as the day progressed.
We headed out to the 150 - 200 m depth line just north of Baixo Danae and started trolling north at 8-9 knots. My spread consisted of 5 rods: 2 x 80 Lbs on the corners with large marlin konas; 2 x 30 Lbs on the riggers with slightly smaller konas and halfbeaks and a 50 Lb at the shotgun.
Well the sea was absolutely flat and the water was clean. Several biills were released (sailies and marlins) but at the end of the morning all I had managed was loosing a dorado (double strike - of which one was landed) and a sailie on a halfbeak+illand sailure after a 3 min fight!!!!!
We continued to work the deep and unfortunately caught nothing else apart from a wahoo (the first of the season!) on one of my leadheads trolled at 15 knots!!!!! That made my day! Finally, my leadhead got the wahoo I was targeting for so long!!!!
The winning boat released a marlin and weighted a dorado and a wahoo!!!!!!!
Anyway it was a fantastic day out there and had a chance to try my DIY lures... some of which are already part of my trusted arsenal!!!!!
Next time, I'll get them!