Author Topic: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet  (Read 9052 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
« on: November 03, 2010, 07:32:56 PM »
I don’t know if it is my boat or me, but we keep on hitting the Yellowfin Tuna Jackpot and they seem to be attracted to us no matter where we go. My YFT count for 2010 is now at 233.

We launched late today and only got going at around 10h30 and fished till 15h00, when we initially got out there was a steep chop and a stiff NE with water temp averaging 23.4 deg. C.  I set a spread and initially we got no action and so I made some changes to colours, depth and speed and it was not long before the first reel screamed and we had a double hook up of 2 decent sized Kawakawa.

By this the wind had dropped to a breeze and the sea went flat and the water temp went up to 23.8 deg. C. I have to tell you that the water was blue and crystal clear and we could see the 100’s of Garfish swimming all over the show several meters below the water surface. It was then that I noticed about 500m to our right that there was a large area of yellow stained water and so we headed towards this, as we got on top of the large yellow stain we saw what it was, it was a school of about 300 Yellowfin Tuna about 1m below the surface, imagine that, the water was so clear that from half a Kilometre away I could see the yellow from the Tuna’s fins and tails.

In the end we landed 6 Yellowfin Tuna 3 of them well over 10Kg, we got taxed 3 times by the same large Shark patrolling the area who took the whole Tuna including our lure, and 2 Tuna were so big that we got smoked and could not stop them. We also landed 1 HUGE Kawakawa of around 9Kg, got bitten off by a Wahoo and landed a Tropical Yellowtail.
An expensive day with 5 lures and 2 spools of line down, but another adrenaline packed day.
I was hoping for a Dorado again, but did not see them.
Sorry for the shortage of pics I had camera problems and so only have a pic of 1 of the 2 smaller YFT we kept.

benniejordaan

  • Guest
Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 07:52:06 PM »
Bud, I'm coming fishing with you! Well done mate!

Offline fedu

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 530
  • Cred: 70
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Luanda, Angola
Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 07:58:06 PM »
Not fair your 2010 count is 233 and mine is only around 25  :hehe:

Your time on the water experience pays off, keep it going  :geet

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 08:03:20 PM »
I am hoping to reach 300 by end December.

benniejordaan

  • Guest
Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 08:12:57 PM »
I am hoping to reach 300 by end December.
At the rate you going, I'm sure you going to make it! No Doubt in my mind!

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 08:45:17 PM »
Great stuff FA :happ:

Offline Ianzo

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 3
  • Location: Witbank, Mpumalanga
Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 09:05:12 PM »
Man that's some good action of durbs, well done (clap)

Offline G!enn

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 211
  • Cred: 29
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: N.I
Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 09:33:05 PM »
I want that boat for the pike!!!!  :hyst:

Great report as always Sir  w;k
'In The Eyes Of A Child You Will See..... The World As It Should Be.'

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 09:35:09 PM »
I want that boat for the pike!!!!  :hyst:

Great report as always Sir  w;k

My friend you will catch your very own YFT on that boat on your next trip here. :geet

Offline G!enn

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 211
  • Cred: 29
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: N.I
Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 09:39:23 PM »
My friend you will catch your very own YFT on that boat on your next trip here. :geet

I was hoping the boat would draw all the pike in!  :lolo:

Wont be over to 22nd december 2011 .. Girl is spending xmas and new year with all family etc.. Leaving end of jan! Summer in full swing.
'In The Eyes Of A Child You Will See..... The World As It Should Be.'

Offline RusticRainman

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 319
  • Cred: 8
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 05:53:17 AM »
 (clap) (clap). Very nice.

Offline mo-manack

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 105
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 07:44:49 AM »
hey mike! great stuff man,did you get those yellow fin very deep? i saw a beeg bonnie next to your boat

Offline muhammad

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 96
  • Cred: 1
  • Location: durban
Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 09:05:29 AM »
 :ayb
great stuffthere mike
dont worry you will get that target

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 09:09:55 AM »
Hey FA,

Do you keep record of each YFT you caught (I mean lure, color, etc)... With that sample size it would make interesting statistics...
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

TUNAMAN

  • Guest
Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 09:26:17 AM »
Awesome stuff Mike. You are on fire man. I know which charter I will be booking with.

Offline Royboy

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 303
  • Cred: 16
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 10:02:46 AM »
Nice going FA!!!!! Geez, I haven't had a YFT since August at HG.

Good numbers boet, I hope that the Kikuman Soya Sauce, Wasabi, and Pickled Ginger supply in Durbs is good!!!!!

See you in a few weeks....... I need to bring some sashimi home to get some brownie points with my missus. (From previous experience, YFT Sashimi earns me more Brownie points with Linda than fresh Oysters!!!!). Bring it ON!

Cheers - RB

Offline Royboy

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 303
  • Cred: 16
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 10:22:18 AM »
Hey FA - on a lighter note! Why don't you post the co-ords online and watch the Indian Ocean get churned up into a froth on Saturday morning? Tee hee hee hee w;k w;k w;k

Will beat the N3 December "Lemming Run" vehicles per hour record!!!!!!!

 :rck" :rck" :rck" :rck"

Cheers - RB

Offline Glider

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 98
  • Cred: 12
  • Location: Kinshasa DRC
Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 11:44:09 AM »
Well done there FA, that's excellent!
If you're not living on the edge then you're wasting space

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 12:29:04 PM »
Like I said before, the Tuna champ!!
Great stuff Mike!!

Seems the wind is finally letting off down there.

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 03:50:38 AM »
Hey FA,

Do you keep record of each YFT you caught (I mean lure, color, etc)... With that sample size it would make interesting statistics...

Bump
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal