Author Topic: Fishing rig suggestions  (Read 15723 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Q1Stevens

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 100
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town, Western Cape
Fishing rig suggestions
« on: June 09, 2020, 02:49:40 PM »
Hi ultimate anglers,


This is what I have in my tackle box. Hit me up with some good rig suggestions please.


J and circle hooks
Beads
floats
2 way and 3 way swivels
bottle, spoon and ball sinkers
 :tkx: :tite
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Darknight

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 12
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: KZN
Re: Fishing rig suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 04:27:20 PM »
Hi  Q1


Perhaps maybe you could help us out by letting us know what species you aim on targeting?

Offline Q1Stevens

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 100
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town, Western Cape
Re: Fishing rig suggestions
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 04:35:31 PM »
Hi  Q1


Perhaps maybe you could help us out by letting us know what species you aim on targeting?


Oh yes, sorry man.
I'm hoping to target Galjoen or Belman. Any of those fish that can be caught along the False bay coast during Winter.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Chancer

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 26
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Simons Town
Re: Fishing rig suggestions
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 04:58:20 PM »
That tackle box is too clean  :-)

Offline Q1Stevens

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 100
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town, Western Cape
Re: Fishing rig suggestions
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 07:21:21 PM »
That tackle box is too clean  :-)
Thanks. I only bought it today though :hnthnt:
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Visenvryheid

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 456
  • Cred: 30
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing and freedom! Thank the Almighty!
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Fishing rig suggestions
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 08:17:54 PM »
I keep the hooks in their packets, or else they all rust in no time..also a nice comfy backpack is much easier to lug around than a box..Keep the box clean and at home with all ur spare stock in..Depends on your spots, the fish found there, the structure and the wash etc..theres only so many basic rigs and the rest are all variations on that..One i use are rock setup, little hook and thinner hook snood if not cracker around and if so then thicker everything, then sliding sinker, for elf, cob, steenies, grunts etc..then short sinker line and longer hook line when no rocks around wash depending, just line diameter changes depending on whats targeted or if no rocks around or in river etc..and then a bottoms trace for off the boat that it really. Sliding sinker can be big kengal with foam for elf or cob or two smaller kendals, one as trap hook sliding and hidden in top of bait and the bottom hook, or circle which I like with bloodworm..Much over muchness..look about on this forum and the other one and online on youtube vids etc..there is so much trace info onthe web nowadays, just make it easy and simple too dont go too fancy..dont let the trace detract from the actual fishing LOL

There are some good books also for sale by Nickie Lourens I think his name is, aas is die geheim/bait is the secret, elf, etc..classic traces work best that is why they are classic.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 08:19:03 PM by Visenvryheid »

Offline RiyadhEd

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 141
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Fishing rig suggestions
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 08:18:08 PM »
Do you fish on your own or with other experienced anglers?

Offline RiyadhEd

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 141
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Fishing rig suggestions
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 08:19:34 PM »
I keep the hooks in their packets, or else they all rust in no time..also a nice comfy backpack is much easier to lug around than a box..Keep the box clean and at home with all ur spare stock in..Depends on your spots, the fish found there, the structure and the wash etc..theres only so many basic rigs and the rest are all variations on that..One i use are rock setup, little hook and thinner hook snood if not cracker around and if so then thicker everything, then sliding sinker, for elf, cob, steenies, grunts etc..then short sinker line and longer hook line when no rocks around wash depending, just line diameter changes depending on whats targeted or if no rocks around or in river etc..and then a bottoms trace for off the boat that it really. Sliding sinker can be big kengal with foam for elf or cob or two smaller kendals, one as trap hook sliding and hidden in top of bait and the bottom hook, or circle which I like with bloodworm..Much over muchness..look about on this forum and the other one and online on youtube vids etc..there is so much trace info onthe web nowadays, just make it easy and simple too dont go too fancy..dont let the trace detract from the actual fishing LOL

There are some good books also for sale by Nickie Lourens I think his name is, aas is die geheim/bait is the secret, elf, etc..classic traces work best that is why they are classic.


This man knows his stuff!!

Offline Visenvryheid

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 456
  • Cred: 30
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing and freedom! Thank the Almighty!
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Fishing rig suggestions
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 08:25:46 PM »
Do you fish on your own or with other experienced anglers?
Ja go fish with some guys on top of their game and you learn quickly! Im very much learning still LOL thanks ..there are many guys and ladies that have forgotten more than I know but they not on these forums and keep their info close to their chests.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 08:27:32 PM by Visenvryheid »

Offline Q1Stevens

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 100
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town, Western Cape
Re: Fishing rig suggestions
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 09:24:57 PM »
I keep the hooks in their packets, or else they all rust in no time..also a nice comfy backpack is much easier to lug around than a box..Keep the box clean and at home with all ur spare stock in..Depends on your spots, the fish found there, the structure and the wash etc..theres only so many basic rigs and the rest are all variations on that..One i use are rock setup, little hook and thinner hook snood if not cracker around and if so then thicker everything, then sliding sinker, for elf, cob, steenies, grunts etc..then short sinker line and longer hook line when no rocks around wash depending, just line diameter changes depending on whats targeted or if no rocks around or in river etc..and then a bottoms trace for off the boat that it really. Sliding sinker can be big kengal with foam for elf or cob or two smaller kendals, one as trap hook sliding and hidden in top of bait and the bottom hook, or circle which I like with bloodworm..Much over muchness..look about on this forum and the other one and online on youtube vids etc..there is so much trace info onthe web nowadays, just make it easy and simple too dont go too fancy..dont let the trace detract from the actual fishing LOL

There are some good books also for sale by Nickie Lourens I think his name is, aas is die geheim/bait is the secret, elf, etc..classic traces work best that is why they are classic.
Thanks man, really appreciate all the tips. I'll definitely have a look around.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Q1Stevens

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 100
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town, Western Cape
Re: Fishing rig suggestions
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 09:25:50 PM »
Do you fish on your own or with other experienced anglers?
I fish on my own. Well, with my dad, but we're equally unexperienced :lolo:
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline emjay

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 261
  • Cred: 18
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban/Richards Bay, KZN
Re: Fishing rig suggestions
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 06:06:06 AM »
I would add a few elf/shad traces to that, but that's just me. What size hooks do you have there? What diameter trace line?


Like what has been said, don't get caught up in overly complicated traces. In the end all you need is a hook with a piece of bait on. Some people will disagree with me, but same goes for bait presentations. Some people add all sorts of accessories to their baits with fancy cutting methods and blah blah blah and then on their first throw get stuck and lose their fancy trace (and whatever money that went into building that bait), or catch nothing because the fish simply aren't there. Don't be sloppy with your baits, keep them neat and simple, but don't overthink it
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 06:39:25 AM by emjay »
Fishing all day, everyday is still not enough fishing

Offline Q1Stevens

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 100
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town, Western Cape
Re: Fishing rig suggestions
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 10:05:58 AM »
I would add a few elf/shad traces to that, but that's just me. What size hooks do you have there? What diameter trace line?


Like what has been said, don't get caught up in overly complicated traces. In the end all you need is a hook with a piece of bait on. Some people will disagree with me, but same goes for bait presentations. Some people add all sorts of accessories to their baits with fancy cutting methods and blah blah blah and then on their first throw get stuck and lose their fancy trace (and whatever money that went into building that bait), or catch nothing because the fish simply aren't there. Don't be sloppy with your baits, keep them neat and simple, but don't overthink it


I have #4/0, #1/0, #1, #4, #6 and #10 J hooks
And I have #2/0 and #1/0 circle hooks.


I just have mono line at the moment. 0.35, 0.4, 0.5


My thoughts exactly, I like to keep it simple that's why I don't have all those other accessories in my box.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline RiyadhEd

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 141
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Fishing rig suggestions
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2020, 10:12:18 AM »
Do you fish on your own or with other experienced anglers?
Ja go fish with some guys on top of their game and you learn quickly! Im very much learning still LOL thanks ..there are many guys and ladies that have forgotten more than I know but they not on these forums and keep their info close to their chests.


I  dont fish as often as most of you! Lately I have been going on my own as my schedule dont allow me to join others. Also, I dont fish at night anymore and thats when most of the guys go who catch some nice fish. During summer I will still venture out on a night trip or two.
But agreed, the guys that know, dont really share, especially with reading the water and establishing where the fish are.
So far the topic on this forum about reading water has helped me. I caught my first sized steenbras in Jan. Actually two of them, for years I have been only catching small ones. My next mission is to catch a huge one.

Offline RiyadhEd

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 141
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Fishing rig suggestions
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2020, 10:13:32 AM »
Do you fish on your own or with other experienced anglers?
I fish on my own. Well, with my dad, but we're equally unexperienced :lolo:


What area do you fish often? We mainly fish around strandfontein and macassar. Can give you a shout when we go again, but I am not sure when I will be out to the beach.

Offline emjay

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 261
  • Cred: 18
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban/Richards Bay, KZN
Re: Fishing rig suggestions
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2020, 10:59:32 AM »
I would add a few elf/shad traces to that, but that's just me. What size hooks do you have there? What diameter trace line?


Like what has been said, don't get caught up in overly complicated traces. In the end all you need is a hook with a piece of bait on. Some people will disagree with me, but same goes for bait presentations. Some people add all sorts of accessories to their baits with fancy cutting methods and blah blah blah and then on their first throw get stuck and lose their fancy trace (and whatever money that went into building that bait), or catch nothing because the fish simply aren't there. Don't be sloppy with your baits, keep them neat and simple, but don't overthink it


I have #4/0, #1/0, #1, #4, #6 and #10 J hooks
And I have #2/0 and #1/0 circle hooks.


I just have mono line at the moment. 0.35, 0.4, 0.5


My thoughts exactly, I like to keep it simple that's why I don't have all those other accessories in my box.


If you go for kob, maybe add some 6/0 to 8/0 hooks, #4 two way swivels for a running sinker trace and 0.70mm to 0.80mm mono to your box. Maybe leave the 0.40 at home because it's very close to your 0.35mm line. Frees up some room for an extra spool of line then


I'm in KZN, so my target species are a bit different to yours but in general I keep #8, #4, #1, 3/0 and 6/0 hooks in my bag. #8 for when I'm looking for livebait like pinkies, #4 and #1 for scratching for panfish, 3/0 for eds like shad and 6/0 for kob. I prefer fishing with slightly smaller hooks than the normal person. It just works for me. Don't forget a hook sharpener as well hey! Frustrating missing fish because of blunt hooks. The little whetstone type works for me

« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 11:01:54 AM by emjay »
Fishing all day, everyday is still not enough fishing

Offline Q1Stevens

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 100
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town, Western Cape
Re: Fishing rig suggestions
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2020, 11:16:37 AM »
Do you fish on your own or with other experienced anglers?
I fish on my own. Well, with my dad, but we're equally unexperienced :lolo:


What area do you fish often? We mainly fish around strandfontein and macassar. Can give you a shout when we go again, but I am not sure when I will be out to the beach.


I fish at Strand/ GB area. It's all good man, I'll get a hang of it soon. Learning every day. :tkx:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 11:17:05 AM by Q1Stevens »
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Q1Stevens

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 100
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town, Western Cape
Re: Fishing rig suggestions
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2020, 11:39:35 AM »
I would add a few elf/shad traces to that, but that's just me. What size hooks do you have there? What diameter trace line?


Like what has been said, don't get caught up in overly complicated traces. In the end all you need is a hook with a piece of bait on. Some people will disagree with me, but same goes for bait presentations. Some people add all sorts of accessories to their baits with fancy cutting methods and blah blah blah and then on their first throw get stuck and lose their fancy trace (and whatever money that went into building that bait), or catch nothing because the fish simply aren't there. Don't be sloppy with your baits, keep them neat and simple, but don't overthink it


I have #4/0, #1/0, #1, #4, #6 and #10 J hooks
And I have #2/0 and #1/0 circle hooks.


I just have mono line at the moment. 0.35, 0.4, 0.5


My thoughts exactly, I like to keep it simple that's why I don't have all those other accessories in my box.


If you go for kob, maybe add some 6/0 to 8/0 hooks, #4 two way swivels for a running sinker trace and 0.70mm to 0.80mm mono to your box. Maybe leave the 0.40 at home because it's very close to your 0.35mm line. Frees up some room for an extra spool of line then


I'm in KZN, so my target species are a bit different to yours but in general I keep #8, #4, #1, 3/0 and 6/0 hooks in my bag. #8 for when I'm looking for livebait like pinkies, #4 and #1 for scratching for panfish, 3/0 for eds like shad and 6/0 for kob. I prefer fishing with slightly smaller hooks than the normal person. It just works for me. Don't forget a hook sharpener as well hey! Frustrating missing fish because of blunt hooks. The little whetstone type works for me
Thanks, but I don't think we get kob this time of year :rain:  I'll definitely remember that for summer though, thanks. I actually bought the 0.4 yesterday lol, I used it to spool my reels, the 0.50 was just too thick, couldn't get a good amount of line on the reels.
Nice man, I'll be targetting Galjoen and belman for winter.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline maganything

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 642
  • Cred: 68
  • Gender: Male
  • I'd rather be fishing
  • Location: Durban North
Re: Fishing rig suggestions
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2020, 01:58:22 PM »
Do you fish on your own or with other experienced anglers?
I fish on my own. Well, with my dad, but we're equally unexperienced :lolo:



What area do you fish often? We mainly fish around strandfontein and macassar. Can give you a shout when we go again, but I am not sure when I will be out to the beach.


I fish at Strand/ GB area. It's all good man, I'll get a hang of it soon. Learning every day. :tkx:




Go chat to Kegan at Fishing Republic in the Strand. He will definately help you out with any info that you need and he has been getting some great fish lately!
2019 Yeld cat 17Ft with 2 x F70 yammies

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal