0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
I just use a loop of string or thatching twine, overhand loop with both ends of twine, with the sinker on the loop and tie the sinker line to that..thinner twine is not better as more likely to get stuck in a crevice like your sinker line of mono, thicker twine you can often literally feel it levering the sinker over a rock when you are stuck and trying to pull loose, and next thing you're free and giving a fist pump to the sky while reeling like a mofo..I just use a thinner sinker line than mainline or hook snood, no granny knot unless i'm stuck with sinker line same as mainline, so I can pull quite hard and get sinkers out most times if lucky and always have some spare with incase unlucky..My mates dive them out when the sea is flat..they don't buy sinkers, I just buy/bum from them half the time.. If you are fishing too light for the terrain you cant pull your sinker loose and will break off every cast, if you too heavy your sinker will get stuck every cast..Read the wash and reefs, sometimes you want to get stuck, getting washed into the feeding zone and wait for a fish to unstuck you, sometimes you can find that still spot in the wash where your sinker sits and you get bites and you dont get stuck then try throw in that spot again! You will have to throw a ton of lead in the sea and figure it out..Hopefully people there also diving it out so it is not such a pollution problem, the lead is stable in large chunks and only pollutes in small pieces when it can be swallowed by something like split shot and small jigheads etc which are a big issue to waterfowl, with large sinkers our cigarette butts some of us discard are more a poisoning danger to the seabirds and wildlife ..Ja you just have to donate a ton of lead to the sea and learn the ropes..if you find a length of old heavy steel chain somewhere you can score, thats a score..and then there's an angle grinder and some rebar for when you get really the moerin after loosing tooooo much lead.
0.35 is very thin! You talking mono here? I use 0.50 - 0.55 in the bricks haha but not with a grinder..? Had to untangle my dog who was caught up, all paws tied, in someones braid yesterday, that they were so kind to leave in a big bundle on the beach and all over the rocks! Which is why I dont fish braid with bait among the rocks..pollution nightmare once you get stuck and the braid goes at the one place it touched a rock at some point, though that would not concern the punks that were fishing at the same beach I was yesterday, leaving a reels worth of bright red chopped up over winded mono on the beach to go with the braid, and bait packets etc..wish pigs would stay at home!On line depends on the rocks, the fish around etc where you are fishing..some fish much lighter than me for sure, I went down to a 0.60 hook snood on the weekend and after it getting wound continually around my sinker line in the wash, I went back to my middle ground stiffer 0.8 leader..you would think the fish would see, but in the mess I am casting into I reckon it makes no difference..Biggest gallie so far this year was 3kg released and lost one bigger on weekend and a cracker bit me off on the thicker leader, unlucky hook i guess..so should have gone thicker LOL..I tried light spinning with a little 10 multiplier this season and 0.35 but had to change to 0.40 which didnt cast as far but atleast didnt snap at the sight of a fish and a rock..even though it was touch and go some fish LOL had a good long run of little tunas from the rocks which was a blast on the light mono..0.40 seems to be the lightest I can fish with as mainline, got some decent fish on bait on that rig but lost some too when a decent fish ate the bait and there was lots of reef in the water..but generally I fish a 0.50 minimum for rocks maybe go lighter sure on a clean beach but..and a longer rod too will help to lift the sinker up and angle it away from the bricks when you retrieve as well as a fast multiplier that you have learned to cast to crank that sinker in skipping on the surface when you need to..I started with braid and grinder among the bricks and Im far far happier and the fishing far less frustrating now that I can comfortably use the right gear for the terrain.
For me, the trick to not losing a lot of lead in the rocks is, once you have cast, let the sinker hit the water , and then drop to the bottom before closing the bailer. Wind the line ever so slightly that you can feel the bites, then leave it! I find that if you continually tweak the reel to keep the line vaguely tight , all you are doing is winding the sinker / hook into a crack. When you do need to wind in, give it a big heave to get it off the bottom, and wind in at speed to keep the sinker off the bottom. Having said that there are definitely places that are worse that others for losing tackle, but that's part of the game.I always tie a piece of string to the sinker (mostly use spoon sinkers for scratching in the rocks). I find this help with abrasion on the rocks at the point where one would loop the nylon around the sinker. Bouncing a sinker off the rocks tends to chip the line, and inevitably, at some stage you will cast your sinker over the horizon (you will hear the crack as the sinker breaks the sound barrier), but the rest of your line will be laying at your feet. This has helped solve this one for me.