Author Topic: Simple, but effective shore fishing rig  (Read 23251 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Q1Stevens

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 100
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town, Western Cape
Simple, but effective shore fishing rig
« on: April 17, 2020, 03:44:04 PM »
Hi guys, as I said in my previous post, I'm subject to losing tackle almost after every cast. Please provide me with rigs (that's not too complicated) that works for fishing alongside rocky reefs etc. I have a 10ft rod and a 7500 size reel. I prefer fishing on the beach, but I do fish in harbours as well.  :tkx: :fshn:
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Kwade

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 122
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Carletonville Gauteng
Re: Simple, but effective shore fishing rig
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 02:04:10 AM »
Have you considered using a float in rocky areas?  It's worked for me with galjoen,  stone bream,  bronze Bream, yellow belly rock cod ect... Very effective in gullies and close to the rocks fishing... Depends what you fishing for I guess

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Simple, but effective shore fishing rig
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 12:30:41 PM »

Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Simple, but effective shore fishing rig
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 10:01:09 PM »
Hi guys, as I said in my previous post, I'm subject to losing tackle almost after every cast. Please provide me with rigs (that's not too complicated) that works for fishing alongside rocky reefs etc. I have a 10ft rod and a 7500 size reel. I prefer fishing on the beach, but I do fish in harbours as well.  :tkx: :fshn:
firstly...isn't that reel too big for the rod?Secondly,perhaps use a float on your hooktrace about 3-5cm above the hook...lastly,you should always have a thinner sinker snoot than either mainline/hooksnoot,you can even tie a granny knot in the sinkersnoot...the line should break at the knot then...fishing amongst reef will always increase the chances of losing tackle...Some guys use nylon grabs between the bricks too,because if you're stuck you can just pull the sinker loose because the nylon bends...hope this is helpfull.. :tite
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 10:03:37 PM by Lofty »
Always be humble...

Offline Q1Stevens

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 100
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town, Western Cape
Re: Simple, but effective shore fishing rig
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 11:43:43 PM »
Hey guys, sorry my post has been moved to a different section on forum (would be helpful if we were notified about that), thus I didn't see the replies.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Q1Stevens

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 100
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town, Western Cape
Re: Simple, but effective shore fishing rig
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 11:45:25 PM »
Have you considered using a float in rocky areas?  It's worked for me with galjoen,  stone bream,  bronze Bream, yellow belly rock cod ect... Very effective in gullies and close to the rocks fishing... Depends what you fishing for I guess


Interesting that you mentioned that, with my new rigs that I've made a couple days ago, I've added floats and made the sinker trace shorter than the hook trace. Just to see if I'll stuck less. Thanks man.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Q1Stevens

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 100
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town, Western Cape
Re: Simple, but effective shore fishing rig
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 11:46:13 PM »
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Q1Stevens

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 100
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town, Western Cape
Re: Simple, but effective shore fishing rig
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 11:52:15 PM »
Hi guys, as I said in my previous post, I'm subject to losing tackle almost after every cast. Please provide me with rigs (that's not too complicated) that works for fishing alongside rocky reefs etc. I have a 10ft rod and a 7500 size reel. I prefer fishing on the beach, but I do fish in harbours as well.  :tkx: :fshn:
firstly...isn't that reel too big for the rod?Secondly,perhaps use a float on your hooktrace about 3-5cm above the hook...lastly,you should always have a thinner sinker snoot than either mainline/hooksnoot,you can even tie a granny knot in the sinkersnoot...the line should break at the knot then...fishing amongst reef will always increase the chances of losing tackle...Some guys use nylon grabs between the bricks too,because if you're stuck you can just pull the sinker loose because the nylon bends...hope this is helpfull.. :tite


Hey Lofty, I don't know, it looks appropriate, I bought it as a rod and reel combo. With the rigs I've made a couple days ago I've done just that, the float with hook, and overhand knot with the lighter sinker trace :happ: question, how do you get the float to be at a fixed spot? Aah, the nylon grab sinkers, that makes complete sense! Thanks man, will definitely give that a go next time. :tkx:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 11:53:10 PM by Q1Stevens »
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Visenvryheid

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 456
  • Cred: 30
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing and freedom! Thank the Almighty!
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Simple, but effective shore fishing rig
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 11:07:10 AM »
If I am fishing in really foul areas I make my hook snood shorter than my short sinker trace as I dont want the hook to be washing around and getting stuck in redbait, rocks or seaweed...Also when fishing off the rocks a short 10cm loop/piece of twine on the sinker really helps to lever it over ledges and not get jammed in cracks as easily and also not get your sinker knot gnashed on the rocks on the retrieve to cast it off next cast. I loose maybe 1/4 of the sinkers as I would with no twine..If I am fishing in ultra foul areas like tsitsikamma, then the pieces of rebar and chain comes out! Both much cheaper than sinkers! It depends on the rocks, some rocks you will loose a sinker almost every cast and that is the way it is, grapnels are a waste of money then, sometimes you have sand inbetween rocks, then I prefer a spoon sinker so that it sits and washes less into the crevices like a bottle would, sometimes a bottle is called , sometimes use a DIY wire grapnel with simple soft galvinised fence wire legs or short weedeater cord that I can pull free of most snags with the wires bending easily, you can make them with a hacksaw, a hammer and a vice and some bottle sinkers cutting two perpendicular grooves and hammering in the wire or chord...Sometimes I am short on sinkers and use whatever I can find!  LOL
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 11:13:56 AM by Visenvryheid »

Offline emjay

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 261
  • Cred: 18
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban/Richards Bay, KZN
Re: Simple, but effective shore fishing rig
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 02:06:13 PM »
Hi guys, as I said in my previous post, I'm subject to losing tackle almost after every cast. Please provide me with rigs (that's not too complicated) that works for fishing alongside rocky reefs etc. I have a 10ft rod and a 7500 size reel. I prefer fishing on the beach, but I do fish in harbours as well.  :tkx: :fshn:
firstly...isn't that reel too big for the rod?Secondly,perhaps use a float on your hooktrace about 3-5cm above the hook...lastly,you should always have a thinner sinker snoot than either mainline/hooksnoot,you can even tie a granny knot in the sinkersnoot...the line should break at the knot then...fishing amongst reef will always increase the chances of losing tackle...Some guys use nylon grabs between the bricks too,because if you're stuck you can just pull the sinker loose because the nylon bends...hope this is helpfull.. :tite


Hey Lofty, I don't know, it looks appropriate, I bought it as a rod and reel combo. With the rigs I've made a couple days ago I've done just that, the float with hook, and overhand knot with the lighter sinker trace :happ: question, how do you get the float to be at a fixed spot? Aah, the nylon grab sinkers, that makes complete sense! Thanks man, will definitely give that a go next time. :tkx:


Stick a toothpick or chop stick through the hole of the float after you've threaded your line through the float
Fishing all day, everyday is still not enough fishing

Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Simple, but effective shore fishing rig
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 05:49:59 PM »
Hi guys, as I said in my previous post, I'm subject to losing tackle almost after every cast. Please provide me with rigs (that's not too complicated) that works for fishing alongside rocky reefs etc. I have a 10ft rod and a 7500 size reel. I prefer fishing on the beach, but I do fish in harbours as well.  :tkx: :fshn:
firstly...isn't that reel too big for the rod?Secondly,perhaps use a float on your hooktrace about 3-5cm above the hook...lastly,you should always have a thinner sinker snoot than either mainline/hooksnoot,you can even tie a granny knot in the sinkersnoot...the line should break at the knot then...fishing amongst reef will always increase the chances of losing tackle...Some guys use nylon grabs between the bricks too,because if you're stuck you can just pull the sinker loose because the nylon bends...hope this is helpfull.. :tite


Hey Lofty, I don't know, it looks appropriate, I bought it as a rod and reel combo. With the rigs I've made a couple days ago I've done just that, the float with hook, and overhand knot with the lighter sinker trace :happ: question, how do you get the float to be at a fixed spot? Aah, the nylon grab sinkers, that makes complete sense! Thanks man, will definitely give that a go next time. :tkx:
If using the small brightly colored foam floats I usually stick a toothpick into the hole and breaking it off in there,that secures the float at your desired distance above the hook... :hnthnt: Other baits allow you to cotton the float/piece of shaped foam on the hookshank inside the bait like chokka/pilchard...You can use dingles and circle hooks too... :corrct:
Always be humble...

Offline Q1Stevens

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 100
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town, Western Cape
Re: Simple, but effective shore fishing rig
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 07:10:43 PM »
If I am fishing in really foul areas I make my hook snood shorter than my short sinker trace as I dont want the hook to be washing around and getting stuck in redbait, rocks or seaweed...Also when fishing off the rocks a short 10cm loop/piece of twine on the sinker really helps to lever it over ledges and not get jammed in cracks as easily and also not get your sinker knot gnashed on the rocks on the retrieve to cast it off next cast. I loose maybe 1/4 of the sinkers as I would with no twine..If I am fishing in ultra foul areas like tsitsikamma, then the pieces of rebar and chain comes out! Both much cheaper than sinkers! It depends on the rocks, some rocks you will loose a sinker almost every cast and that is the way it is, grapnels are a waste of money then, sometimes you have sand inbetween rocks, then I prefer a spoon sinker so that it sits and washes less into the crevices like a bottle would, sometimes a bottle is called , sometimes use a DIY wire grapnel with simple soft galvinised fence wire legs or short weedeater cord that I can pull free of most snags with the wires bending easily, you can make them with a hacksaw, a hammer and a vice and some bottle sinkers cutting two perpendicular grooves and hammering in the wire or chord...Sometimes I am short on sinkers and use whatever I can find!  LOL


Ohkay, I see, Thanks man. What do you mean by the 10cm piece of twine?
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Q1Stevens

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 100
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town, Western Cape
Re: Simple, but effective shore fishing rig
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 07:11:25 PM »
Hi guys, as I said in my previous post, I'm subject to losing tackle almost after every cast. Please provide me with rigs (that's not too complicated) that works for fishing alongside rocky reefs etc. I have a 10ft rod and a 7500 size reel. I prefer fishing on the beach, but I do fish in harbours as well.  :tkx: :fshn:
firstly...isn't that reel too big for the rod?Secondly,perhaps use a float on your hooktrace about 3-5cm above the hook...lastly,you should always have a thinner sinker snoot than either mainline/hooksnoot,you can even tie a granny knot in the sinkersnoot...the line should break at the knot then...fishing amongst reef will always increase the chances of losing tackle...Some guys use nylon grabs between the bricks too,because if you're stuck you can just pull the sinker loose because the nylon bends...hope this is helpfull.. :tite


Hey Lofty, I don't know, it looks appropriate, I bought it as a rod and reel combo. With the rigs I've made a couple days ago I've done just that, the float with hook, and overhand knot with the lighter sinker trace :happ: question, how do you get the float to be at a fixed spot? Aah, the nylon grab sinkers, that makes complete sense! Thanks man, will definitely give that a go next time. :tkx:


Stick a toothpick or chop stick through the hole of the float after you've threaded your line through the float


Awesome, thanks. Floats are so expensive though.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Q1Stevens

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 100
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town, Western Cape
Re: Simple, but effective shore fishing rig
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2020, 07:13:05 PM »
Hi guys, as I said in my previous post, I'm subject to losing tackle almost after every cast. Please provide me with rigs (that's not too complicated) that works for fishing alongside rocky reefs etc. I have a 10ft rod and a 7500 size reel. I prefer fishing on the beach, but I do fish in harbours as well.  :tkx: :fshn:
firstly...isn't that reel too big for the rod?Secondly,perhaps use a float on your hooktrace about 3-5cm above the hook...lastly,you should always have a thinner sinker snoot than either mainline/hooksnoot,you can even tie a granny knot in the sinkersnoot...the line should break at the knot then...fishing amongst reef will always increase the chances of losing tackle...Some guys use nylon grabs between the bricks too,because if you're stuck you can just pull the sinker loose because the nylon bends...hope this is helpfull.. :tite


Hey Lofty, I don't know, it looks appropriate, I bought it as a rod and reel combo. With the rigs I've made a couple days ago I've done just that, the float with hook, and overhand knot with the lighter sinker trace :happ: question, how do you get the float to be at a fixed spot? Aah, the nylon grab sinkers, that makes complete sense! Thanks man, will definitely give that a go next time. :tkx:
If using the small brightly colored foam floats I usually stick a toothpick into the hole and breaking it off in there,that secures the float at your desired distance above the hook... :hnthnt: Other baits allow you to cotton the float/piece of shaped foam on the hookshank inside the bait like chokka/pilchard...You can use dingles and circle hooks too... :corrct:


Got it, thanks :tkx:  oh yes, that's the other thing, I need to learn how to present a bait properly
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline RiyadhEd

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 141
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Simple, but effective shore fishing rig
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2020, 08:02:33 PM »
If I am fishing in really foul areas I make my hook snood shorter than my short sinker trace as I dont want the hook to be washing around and getting stuck in redbait, rocks or seaweed...Also when fishing off the rocks a short 10cm loop/piece of twine on the sinker really helps to lever it over ledges and not get jammed in cracks as easily and also not get your sinker knot gnashed on the rocks on the retrieve to cast it off next cast. I loose maybe 1/4 of the sinkers as I would with no twine..If I am fishing in ultra foul areas like tsitsikamma, then the pieces of rebar and chain comes out! Both much cheaper than sinkers! It depends on the rocks, some rocks you will loose a sinker almost every cast and that is the way it is, grapnels are a waste of money then, sometimes you have sand inbetween rocks, then I prefer a spoon sinker so that it sits and washes less into the crevices like a bottle would, sometimes a bottle is called , sometimes use a DIY wire grapnel with simple soft galvinised fence wire legs or short weedeater cord that I can pull free of most snags with the wires bending easily, you can make them with a hacksaw, a hammer and a vice and some bottle sinkers cutting two perpendicular grooves and hammering in the wire or chord...Sometimes I am short on sinkers and use whatever I can find!  LOL


Ohkay, I see, Thanks man. What do you mean by the 10cm piece of twine?
Sorry man, I cant find a pic and I dont have a sinker rigged up.
Club Articles - Rigging An Offshore Sinker Leader Rig ...
So you see the gut and the wire used to tie the sinker. Use cord instead. I make use of nylon cord as what is used to pull up blinds.

Offline RiyadhEd

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 141
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Simple, but effective shore fishing rig
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2020, 08:05:28 PM »
Hi guys, as I said in my previous post, I'm subject to losing tackle almost after every cast. Please provide me with rigs (that's not too complicated) that works for fishing alongside rocky reefs etc. I have a 10ft rod and a 7500 size reel. I prefer fishing on the beach, but I do fish in harbours as well.  :tkx: :fshn:
firstly...isn't that reel too big for the rod?Secondly,perhaps use a float on your hooktrace about 3-5cm above the hook...lastly,you should always have a thinner sinker snoot than either mainline/hooksnoot,you can even tie a granny knot in the sinkersnoot...the line should break at the knot then...fishing amongst reef will always increase the chances of losing tackle...Some guys use nylon grabs between the bricks too,because if you're stuck you can just pull the sinker loose because the nylon bends...hope this is helpfull.. :tite


Hey Lofty, I don't know, it looks appropriate, I bought it as a rod and reel combo. With the rigs I've made a couple days ago I've done just that, the float with hook, and overhand knot with the lighter sinker trace :happ: question, how do you get the float to be at a fixed spot? Aah, the nylon grab sinkers, that makes complete sense! Thanks man, will definitely give that a go next time. :tkx:
If using the small brightly colored foam floats I usually stick a toothpick into the hole and breaking it off in there,that secures the float at your desired distance above the hook... :hnthnt: Other baits allow you to cotton the float/piece of shaped foam on the hookshank inside the bait like chokka/pilchard...You can use dingles and circle hooks too... :corrct:


Got it, thanks :tkx:  oh yes, that's the other thing, I need to learn how to present a bait properly
Some bait presentation pics sent to me on whatsapp about 2 weeks ago. Hope its ok


« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 08:05:51 PM by RiyadhEd »

Offline RiyadhEd

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 141
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Simple, but effective shore fishing rig
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2020, 08:08:20 PM »
Hi guys, as I said in my previous post, I'm subject to losing tackle almost after every cast. Please provide me with rigs (that's not too complicated) that works for fishing alongside rocky reefs etc. I have a 10ft rod and a 7500 size reel. I prefer fishing on the beach, but I do fish in harbours as well.  :tkx: :fshn:
firstly...isn't that reel too big for the rod?Secondly,perhaps use a float on your hooktrace about 3-5cm above the hook...lastly,you should always have a thinner sinker snoot than either mainline/hooksnoot,you can even tie a granny knot in the sinkersnoot...the line should break at the knot then...fishing amongst reef will always increase the chances of losing tackle...Some guys use nylon grabs between the bricks too,because if you're stuck you can just pull the sinker loose because the nylon bends...hope this is helpfull.. :tite


Hey Lofty, I don't know, it looks appropriate, I bought it as a rod and reel combo. With the rigs I've made a couple days ago I've done just that, the float with hook, and overhand knot with the lighter sinker trace :happ: question, how do you get the float to be at a fixed spot? Aah, the nylon grab sinkers, that makes complete sense! Thanks man, will definitely give that a go next time. :tkx:
If using the small brightly colored foam floats I usually stick a toothpick into the hole and breaking it off in there,that secures the float at your desired distance above the hook... :hnthnt: Other baits allow you to cotton the float/piece of shaped foam on the hookshank inside the bait like chokka/pilchard...You can use dingles and circle hooks too... :corrct:


Got it, thanks :tkx:  oh yes, that's the other thing, I need to learn how to present a bait properly

and then these as well




Offline Q1Stevens

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 100
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town, Western Cape
Re: Simple, but effective shore fishing rig
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2020, 08:22:58 PM »
If I am fishing in really foul areas I make my hook snood shorter than my short sinker trace as I dont want the hook to be washing around and getting stuck in redbait, rocks or seaweed...Also when fishing off the rocks a short 10cm loop/piece of twine on the sinker really helps to lever it over ledges and not get jammed in cracks as easily and also not get your sinker knot gnashed on the rocks on the retrieve to cast it off next cast. I loose maybe 1/4 of the sinkers as I would with no twine..If I am fishing in ultra foul areas like tsitsikamma, then the pieces of rebar and chain comes out! Both much cheaper than sinkers! It depends on the rocks, some rocks you will loose a sinker almost every cast and that is the way it is, grapnels are a waste of money then, sometimes you have sand inbetween rocks, then I prefer a spoon sinker so that it sits and washes less into the crevices like a bottle would, sometimes a bottle is called , sometimes use a DIY wire grapnel with simple soft galvinised fence wire legs or short weedeater cord that I can pull free of most snags with the wires bending easily, you can make them with a hacksaw, a hammer and a vice and some bottle sinkers cutting two perpendicular grooves and hammering in the wire or chord...Sometimes I am short on sinkers and use whatever I can find!  LOL


Ohkay, I see, Thanks man. What do you mean by the 10cm piece of twine?
Sorry man, I cant find a pic and I dont have a sinker rigged up.
Club Articles - Rigging An Offshore Sinker Leader Rig ...
So you see the gut and the wire used to tie the sinker. Use cord instead. I make use of nylon cord as what is used to pull up blinds.
I think I have my sinkers rigged up like that as well, with the loop. No longer than 20cm, but I still get stuck. I have some ball sinkers that I want to try out, if that doesn't work, I'ma buy grapnels.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Q1Stevens

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 100
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town, Western Cape
Re: Simple, but effective shore fishing rig
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2020, 08:23:49 PM »

Hi guys, as I said in my previous post, I'm subject to losing tackle almost after every cast. Please provide me with rigs (that's not too complicated) that works for fishing alongside rocky reefs etc. I have a 10ft rod and a 7500 size reel. I prefer fishing on the beach, but I do fish in harbours as well.  :tkx: :fshn:
firstly...isn't that reel too big for the rod?Secondly,perhaps use a float on your hooktrace about 3-5cm above the hook...lastly,you should always have a thinner sinker snoot than either mainline/hooksnoot,you can even tie a granny knot in the sinkersnoot...the line should break at the knot then...fishing amongst reef will always increase the chances of losing tackle...Some guys use nylon grabs between the bricks too,because if you're stuck you can just pull the sinker loose because the nylon bends...hope this is helpfull.. :tite


Hey Lofty, I don't know, it looks appropriate, I bought it as a rod and reel combo. With the rigs I've made a couple days ago I've done just that, the float with hook, and overhand knot with the lighter sinker trace :happ: question, how do you get the float to be at a fixed spot? Aah, the nylon grab sinkers, that makes complete sense! Thanks man, will definitely give that a go next time. :tkx:
If using the small brightly colored foam floats I usually stick a toothpick into the hole and breaking it off in there,that secures the float at your desired distance above the hook... :hnthnt: Other baits allow you to cotton the float/piece of shaped foam on the hookshank inside the bait like chokka/pilchard...You can use dingles and circle hooks too... :corrct:


Got it, thanks :tkx:  oh yes, that's the other thing, I need to learn how to present a bait properly
Some bait presentation pics sent to me on whatsapp about 2 weeks ago. Hope its ok



Thanks for all the presentations man! :tkx:  can I get your Whatsapp number?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 08:25:10 PM by Q1Stevens »
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Visenvryheid

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 456
  • Cred: 30
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing and freedom! Thank the Almighty!
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Simple, but effective shore fishing rig
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2020, 08:42:36 PM »
I just use a loop of string or thatching twine, overhand loop with both ends of twine, with the sinker on the loop and tie the sinker line to that..thinner twine is not better as more likely to get stuck in a crevice like your sinker line of mono, thicker twine you can often literally feel it levering the sinker over a rock when you are stuck and trying to pull loose, and next thing you're free and giving a fist pump to the sky while reeling like a mofo..I just use a thinner sinker line than mainline or hook snood, no granny knot unless i'm stuck with sinker line same as mainline, so I can pull quite hard and get sinkers out most times if lucky and always have some spare with incase unlucky..My mates dive them out when the sea is flat..they don't buy sinkers, I just buy/bum from them half the time.. If you are fishing too light for the terrain you cant pull your sinker loose and will break off every cast, if you too heavy your sinker will get stuck every cast..Read the wash and reefs, sometimes you want to get stuck, getting washed into the feeding zone and wait for a fish to unstuck you, sometimes you can find that still spot in the wash where your sinker sits and you get bites and you dont get stuck then try throw in that spot again!

You will have to throw a ton of lead in the sea and figure it out..Hopefully people there also diving it out so it is not such a pollution problem, the lead is stable in large chunks and only pollutes in small pieces when it can be swallowed by something like split shot and small jigheads etc which are a big issue to waterfowl, with large sinkers our cigarette butts some of us discard are more a poisoning danger to the seabirds and wildlife ..Ja you just have to donate a ton of lead to the sea and learn the ropes..if you find a length of old heavy steel chain somewhere you can score, thats a score..and then there's an angle grinder and some rebar for when you get really the moerin after loosing tooooo much lead.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal