Author
Topic: Hooks  (Read 385 times)

Online mza786

• Cred: 4
Hooks
« on: September 13, 2019, 03:58:40 pm »
Hi Guys

this might be a stupid question, but i would like to know what the color of your hook makes any difference to getting a bite, i saw a video where a guy sprayed the hook black, does this help in any way, or is it personal preference 

Offline travelmember

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 48
Re: Hooks
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 05:26:11 pm »
I like the hook colour to match the bait colour. So when tuna fishing I use silver for sardine chunks, I like black for tying flies and red for shrimp flies etc.
It may make very little difference, but if it is 1 in a 100, that is an advantage.

Online Lenny

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 122
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 12:58:37 pm »
I recall a video l I saw on YouTube , about guys taping up the shanks of hooks , apparently , they say it works better , for some strange reason , they caught more sharks on these hooks ..

With flyfishing , I would think , the hook should be small ,in relation to your fly ( bait ) thus not being such a big factor .

Hooks in general , are a prefrance thing , most of the time . Some works better , some are sharper , some rust quiker .

Travel member , I agree with his , contribution , clean water fishing , and sight fishing , and fussy eaters .

My prefrance , in any situation , are simple , my hook prefrance are a sharp one . Ha ha ha

Offline Visenvryheid

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 23
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 01:55:58 pm »
I'm taking a guess here to day maybe it makes a difference in heavily pressured waters and maybe clean and clear conditions..but our waters got emptied and stocks got collapsed when there was not much else available except for the silver stainless mustad baitholders and bronze and silver tinned kendal rounds..so whether fancy hooks would have made fishing more efficient is argueably not so much, in the long run. What makes a bigger difference to catching more and bigger fish is putting the big specimens back to breed and to fight another day! LOL To stir the pot..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjJO6HTvAA8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbgCUOD0sAk

I was watching these videos last night on youtube, and like most I see in the states..most of the shore fishermen are relative amateurs compared to some of the southern african pros, but my is the fishing is something we can't comprehend. The second video the guy is like, that "bluefish - aka shad" is a small one, its bigger than my PB and I spend time chasing them, put in the hours, he is like bam first cast, he says he seen fish coming out 18-20lb's that morning..WHAT?!..oh and I dont see one elf being kept..Sure they have not discovered how nice they are fresh, bled and quickly dispatched but ja they just are 2 fishing generations removed from the slaughter what you catch mentality. When I read stories in the old books about what our elf fishery used to be like prior the netting of giant adults in langebaan I can imagine it to have been like that, but that was decades ago! Ja nee..

But maybe hook colour wil make a difference, my skipper swears by black hooks for tuna..LOL how much difference i dont know..You swear by silver..Someone else will swear by red..Like i have my lucky fishing undies..holey pair of cloth that!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 01:58:24 pm by Visenvryheid »

Offline Angler21

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 32
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 07:09:19 am »
For some strange reason, I prefer to use silver hooks during the day and black hooks at night.

Offline Kes

• Cred: 0
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 01:21:45 pm »
I'm taking a guess here to day maybe it makes a difference in heavily pressured waters and maybe clean and clear conditions..but our waters got emptied and stocks got collapsed when there was not much else available except for the silver stainless mustad baitholders and bronze and silver tinned kendal rounds..so whether fancy hooks would have made fishing more efficient is argueably not so much, in the long run. What makes a bigger difference to catching more and bigger fish is putting the big specimens back to breed and to fight another day! LOL To stir the pot..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjJO6HTvAA8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbgCUOD0sAk

I was watching these videos last night on youtube, and like most I see in the states..most of the shore fishermen are relative amateurs compared to some of the southern african pros, but my is the fishing is something we can't comprehend. The second video the guy is like, that "bluefish - aka shad" is a small one, its bigger than my PB and I spend time chasing them, put in the hours, he is like bam first cast, he says he seen fish coming out 18-20lb's that morning..WHAT?!..oh and I dont see one elf being kept..Sure they have not discovered how nice they are fresh, bled and quickly dispatched but ja they just are 2 fishing generations removed from the slaughter what you catch mentality. When I read stories in the old books about what our elf fishery used to be like prior the netting of giant adults in langebaan I can imagine it to have been like that, but that was decades ago! Ja nee..

But maybe hook colour wil make a difference, my skipper swears by black hooks for tuna..LOL how much difference i dont know..You swear by silver..Someone else will swear by red..Like i have my lucky fishing undies..holey pair of cloth that!

Did you see how the guy in the background kicked that +/-4kg one back in water..?

The shad is considered a pest in the States. The actual target species is striped bass but since the shad swim with them, they are a by-catch. The reason they grow to immense sizes is because the guys hardly ever eat them, they just throw them back.

So that why you do get 10-12kg shad in the States.

Offline Visenvryheid

• Ultimate member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 10:07:14 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoHIPIoUPfg

That one! haha I'm off topic but seen the couple thousand 20lb shads being balled up like sardines by the blacktip sharks, about 2 years back. When you have fish stocks like that it doesn't matter what colour your hooks are..LOL You could throw a piece of bacon out there on a glow in the dark tuna hook and catch a PB!

Offline Kes

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 01:03:38 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoHIPIoUPfg

That one! haha I'm off topic but seen the couple thousand 20lb shads being balled up like sardines by the blacktip sharks, about 2 years back. When you have fish stocks like that it doesn't matter what colour your hooks are..LOL You could throw a piece of bacon out there on a glow in the dark tuna hook and catch a PB!

I have been chatting to a friend of mine to go to Cape Cod Canal sometime to catch a bucket list shad and a striper.. :)

Offline Visenvryheid

• Ultimate member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 09:10:12 pm »
Nice one, ja the americans would think we were mad traveling halfway round the world for a 'waste fish'. But they don't know that the waste fish is a religion in our waters! Sure there are some other things swimming around those parts..while you are there..

Offline Kes

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 08:08:58 am »
Nice one, ja the americans would think we were mad traveling halfway round the world for a 'waste fish'. But they don't know that the waste fish is a religion in our waters! Sure there are some other things swimming around those parts..while you are there..

They catch huge striped bass... And I have heard that those are harder fighters than shad

Offline Visenvryheid

• Ultimate member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2019, 09:29:37 am »
By other things I meant North atlantic bluefin... ;) They have a taste for big shad..

Online mza786

• Cred: 4
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2019, 10:26:05 am »
For some strange reason, I prefer to use silver hooks during the day and black hooks at night.

i mainly use black hooks for non eds and silver for eds and seems to work, but after seeing the guy spray a hook black i wanted to find out as his reason was " a more natural look "