Author Topic: Trip Report - Massingir Tigers  (Read 13847 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Trip Report - Massingir Tigers
« on: April 11, 2019, 10:11:15 PM »
G’day Ultimates…. A brief report of a tiger trip to  Massingir Dam.

For those who don’t know where Massingir is, it’s a fairly  large dam, established on the Olifants River in Mozambique. It’s at the bottom  end (South) of the Trans Frontier National Park that joins with Kruger Park.

Years ago, while randomly exploring Moz for some business  opportunities, I headed home to SA wanting to cross through Giriyondo border. It  was before the days of Garmin-on-the-dashboard, smart phones and Google earth,  so I had very little idea of where I was headed. All of a sudden, I was driving  over a dam wall with a massive expanse of water to my left. I stopped and got  out of my bakkie to have a look and take a few pics. In a flash, I was  surrounded by an AK wielding military, barking at me in Portuguese. I gathered  that my actions weren’t acceptable and I got back into the bakkie, put my head  down and headed toward the border. But I knew that one day, I’d fish that  beautiful expanse of water.

Over the years, I’ve become quite obsessed with the idea of  fishing Massingir, particularly once I discovered that it’s got a healthy tiger  population.

Coming from a very much “salt water angling” background, I  have recently started trying a lot more fresh water. I’ve become a bit of a  bass assassin but only because the sea is so damned far away and I HAVE TO FISH  REGULARLY… I had only ever caught a small (maybe 250g) Tiger once, almost by  mistake. So a tiger trip was an absolute MUST.

Crankman and I spent some time chatting and planning. First  the arbell run in Bots (but for tigers)… That proved difficult because, like  the sardines, they’re unpredictable. Then we were offered a spot in the tiger comp  on Schroda Dam in Mapungubwe on the Limpopo, but that fell apart when we came  head to head with a bureaucracy that wouldn’t allow my little skiff on the dam  without a SAMSA certificate. So we decided that we’d fish Massingir. We left it  up to our mate Knut (it was his turn to arrange a trip) and he booked us into  Covane Lodge from the 3rd to the 7th April.
It was a large group of 8… Four hard core anglers, Me,  Crank, Knut and Cyclops (aka Dave) and 6 hard core drinkers (Crankman and Knut,  multi tasked) ably assisted by Springbok drinkers Bravesh, GG, Batman and Wally  with 3 boats and 3 vehicles.

We left from Louis Trichardt on Wednesday morning early,  straight for Punda Maria Gate. A lovely drive down through the Park got us to  Giriyondo border post by midday. After one of the most painless and breezy  border crossing I’ve ever experienced, we found ourselves in Moz on that  hellishly corrugated Trans Frontier road down to Massingir.

We had to do the formalities (along with massive drains on  our finances) at the exit to the Park down at the dam wall. We crossed the wall  into the bustling little town of Massingir. Covane Lodge is some 15km out of  town, a pleasant sandy road through villages and bush.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Trip Report - Massingir Tigers
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 10:13:02 PM »
The lodge is really quite stunning… But I have to put this  out there because people should know… They market themselves as a Tiger Fishing  Lodge. This is very economical in terms of truth. And at the risk of sounding  judgemental, let me explain what I have just claimed.

They apparently run guided fishing trips. There were a few  mentions of what boat costs etc. were. There was no evidence of any dedicated  fishing boat.

There is no launch at the camp… Yes, you heard me correctly.  We were told to go back approximately 25km and launch in the TFN Park. We  kicked up a fair amount of fuss and eventually cracked the nod to launch in a  mud hole a few k’s away in the community’s fields. We did this with the help of  some 2M and the friendly and able Gift, who guided the boats back to the  lodge’s jetty.

We were advised to not leave anything of value on the boats,  so every day (mostly twice a day), all rods, tackle boxes and general kit, was  taken back to the bungalows, a few hundred meters away, but a km or so by  “road” (I use the term “road” advisedly)… Granted, the dam is very low at the  moment, so getting down to the jetty below the lodge proved challenging. The  “road” down to the high water mark is 4WD low range, but by the evening of our  arrival, we had 3 boats in the water, were comfortably settled into our lovely  bungalows and ready to tackle up and tackle the dam Thursday morning.

There is no map of the dam at the lodge… Or at least a  visible one that I could access.

Tackle advice was scant… Except being told that “green is  the colour”.

Comms with the management in the weeks leading up to our  trip was even more scant.

But the lodge is very attractive, comfortable and (from a  stay’s perspective), perfect. Electricity is supplied by generator from 18h00  to 21h00 (but occasionally went on to 22h00+). Meals can be ordered as a fixed  menu from the management and there’s a well-stocked pub and small splash pool.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Trip Report - Massingir Tigers
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 10:15:21 PM »
Day 1: We all got on the water late… you know how it goes.  Tackling up with babbalaas… Eish! My crew (Dave) and I on Mojo had in excess of  30 hook ups, but managed to land 11 fish for the day. We fished hard, all day,  and were roasted by a very hot sun. We vowed not to try that again. Crank and  his rowdy crew got a few small tigers trolling rapalas then tried drifting  kurper dead baits, but with no joy. Knut and his apparently excellent crew (he  kept singing their praises… mostly for their bar tending abilities) got a  couple of small tigers on the troll and a few pan size bream on earth worm.  Wally though, shocked all and sundry by hooking a monster tiger on the lamest  possible retrieve. Sadly, it got off.

The day ended in a lot of drinking and a meal in the  restaurant.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Trip Report - Massingir Tigers
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 10:16:58 PM »
Day 2: We got out earlier, some more hung over than others  and headed to the Park side (Northern Shore)… Things were a lot tougher on my  boat, landing only 3 fish. Crank sacrificed a small trolled tiger for its  fillets and by adding a small strip to the back of his mepps spinner and  drastically slowing down his retrieve outdid himself with a beaut of around 4 kgs.  The others all got in on a bit of action…. Dave and I split our day into  morning and evening fishing. I blanked that evening with my crew getting a few.
The evening was spent at a local eating house in town, with  a brilliant chicken meal washed down with no shortage of liquid refreshment. It  was so good we decided to repeat it the next evening.
 
Day 3: A nice early start for Mojo as we took off for some  very interesting looking points to the West (up river). We had lots of hits  with incredibly few hook-ups, but I did manage a good fish of about 1.5kg… my  best so far. The other 2 boats got into the same action that we on Mojo, got  into on the first day. Ironically, right close to camp and in rather unlikely  looking water. Then Knut landed a real pig of over 4 kgs.
 
    Again, Dave and I did morning and then afternoon, with a  short siesta round midday. The afternoon was better, with Dave getting a fish  of over 2 kgs and me getting my PB of a little over 1.5. The other two boats  had had such a good day’s fishing that they packed up and rewarded themselves  with refreshments.
The evening found us once again, in the absolute best of  spirits, at our Massingir eating house, being fed by a very large Mamma who  knew her way round her kitchen.
 
Sunday was Wednesday in reverse. Back over the wall, through  the TFN Park, Giriyondo (again, painless) and home via Kruger.
 
As my first “Tiger Trip” I’d have to say, massively  successful. Next trip, I’ll take a lot less tackle, much less food and more  photos. I find the hit of the tiger on a lure to be mesmerising… I cannot get  over the ferocity of the fish. I also can’t get over how bloody difficult they  are to land. Also, green was not vaguely as successful as yellow… And mostly a  Mepps Nr. 4.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Trip Report - Massingir Tigers
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 10:17:54 PM »
Thanks for a great trip guys. Massingir will be tackled  again in the not too distant future.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline hrogers

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 631
  • Cred: 25
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Kriel - Mpumalanga
Re: Trip Report - Massingir Tigers
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 07:09:08 AM »
Thanks for sharing your great report with us FishStyx
Great catches !!

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Trip Report - Massingir Tigers
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 07:14:39 AM »
Wow great report Styx! Beautiful place!  :+ cred:

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Trip Report - Massingir Tigers
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 07:17:24 AM »
Great report and nice pics Martin!!!!

Did you guys see any wildlife? apparently there's quite a healthy population of hippos in the dam
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline keane

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 98
  • Cred: 11
  • Location: Port Shepstone, KZN
Re: Trip Report - Massingir Tigers
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 07:38:25 AM »
Excellent report. Thanks for sharing.

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Trip Report - Massingir Tigers
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 07:38:59 AM »
Marcos, apparently there is quite a bit. I know Crank saw a large croc. I saw a small, very sneaky little one, came quite close to the boat. I also saw a Hippo in one of the bays on the Northern side, but I gave it a very wide berth. I'm nervous of those chaps.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline L Hooker

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1330
  • Cred: 55
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Trip Report - Massingir Tigers
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 08:03:30 AM »
Great report Marty, and well done on the catches.  (clap)

Offline dugong

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1676
  • Cred: 54
  • Location: Durban - Warmwater country!!
Re: Trip Report - Massingir Tigers
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 08:28:01 AM »
Great report :rck" (clap)
Just Fish!!!

Offline ianf

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 968
  • Cred: 46
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Randburg, Gauteng
Re: Trip Report - Massingir Tigers
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 08:32:00 AM »
Great report. It's reports like these that feed the imagination, and make us want to go there,. and once that seed is planted...….……..have to just keep watering it.

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Trip Report - Massingir Tigers
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 08:50:35 AM »
Thanks guys... Ja, I can't wait to get back there with some revised tactics.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline CRANKMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 684
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Louis Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Trip Report - Massingir Tigers
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 08:53:10 AM »
Great report mate  :+ cred: and a great trip. We will definitely have to go back soon.

A few tips I would suggest for guys planning a visit
  • Yellow  spinners out performed other colour, lures and baits.
  • Adding  a strip of fillet to the hook increased bites and hook ups over tenfold - I would say it is  essential.
  • With the  fillet attached, slow the retrieve right down – almost to bass fishing speeds,  include drop time on the cast, and pauses during the retrieve.
  • Target  the headlands with steep drop-offs, but be sure there is a decent weed line to  cast up to.
  • A trailer  hook ending at the back of the fillet would be a great addition I believe.
  • Strike  hard, then strike again, and again, then play your fish.
  • Bring lots of headache pills, Berocca, and a spare liver.
A fantastic trip all round, beautiful lake, comfortable lodge, good mates, good food and good fishing!  :beer:
>('>
                   )<((°>
     }<(({°>

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Trip Report - Massingir Tigers
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2019, 09:29:07 AM »
If I may add to Crank's tips... having done work in the Limpopo NP.... if you can plan your visit to the cooler months (April-September), I'm sure both your skin/liver will appreciate it.... (not sure how good the fishing will be though)...

Martin you're absolutely right-keep away from them... heard some horrific stories about Massingir's hippos.... they kill more people/year that ellies+crocs combined. not counting damages to the crops
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Trip Report - Massingir Tigers
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2019, 09:42:37 AM »
One thing I failed to mention in the report is the number of nets... Yeah, a huge number. Before going, a number of people had told me "don't bother with Massingir, it's netted out!"... I got to do a lot of thinking about it while on the water. They are a PITA but they keep a lot of mouths fed. The fishermen seem to move them around a lot, with some of them out, seemingly in the middle of nowhere.


Getting old nets caught up in lure, props and your head can be problematic, but all of it can be avoided by being vigilant, spotting carefully and staying away from them. But regardless of the number of nets, there's still a very healthy number of tigers, possibly even getting fed on fish that are trapped. So don't let the nets issue get you down too much.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal