Author
Topic: Fixing a stand up game rod butt  (Read 330 times)

Offline tkei

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 89
Fixing a stand up game rod butt
« on: February 06, 2019, 09:13:02 am »
I picked up a shimano tiagra 3050r with removable butt for nothing.  The butt has come loose from the reel seat. The reel seat is still firmly attached to a section of rod, which in turn slips into the rod butt with the gimbal at the bottom.
I have cleaned the "tube" of all the old "glue" so it is ready to be attached to the butt.
The question is what adhesive to use. The tube has quite a lot of play at the moment, so a fair amount of glue would be needed to get it nice and firm. The adhesive used looked almost like pratley steel. It seems it was not filling the full cavity, and that would be why it broke loose.
What glue should I use? any ideas. I dont want to get it wrong and then end up with a ruined rod butt that cant be used. I also need to make sure the gimbal stays square to the reel seat and eyes. Done want a rod with a limp.

Also, quite a few of the running eyes are siezed. On my other ones I had oiled the screws so they were easily removable. I tried on this one and ended up putting a screw driver right through my winger, so I wont go that method again[size=78%]. [/size]

How do you guys go about loosening running eye screws that are tight? they have a screw either side so need to push 2 screw drivers towards each other. As I said, it didn't work out as planned last time.

[/size]

Offline dugong

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 54
Re: Fixing a stand up game rod butt
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 12:06:38 pm »
Epidermix 372 is one of the better epoxies to use - try and 'key' the surfaces.
Sometimes you are better off replacing those roller eyes, expensive but worth the peace of mind.
Just Fish!!!

Offline HooknCook

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 6
Re: Fixing a stand up game rod butt
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 07:43:50 pm »
On a 3050, I think you far better off changing the guides to normal heavy duty....Rollers just give you headaches and line jumps off them a lot.