Author
Topic: Fishing tales aboard MAXIMVS: Long day... (almost) no fish!  (Read 464 times)

Offline John F

• Cred: 514
Fishing tales aboard MAXIMVS: Long day... (almost) no fish!
« on: October 14, 2018, 12:03:44 am »
Been a while since our last launch so I was eager to explore the northern grounds for couta and the Poco area for YFT (no reports for couta and a slaughtering of YFT has been happening)...

Last Wednesday (Oct, 10) we had municipal elections and the weather was looking very promising...

Arrangements were finalized with my brother and we were set to leave just after sunrise. Arrived at the club at 04h20 and saw Matabich XL already launching... peterblace was crewing on Mataicho that day and they were set to leave the dock just after sunrise at 05h20....
We left the dock at 05h40 and had flat seas (as forecasted) all the way to the shallows around the buoys at 3M. Our plan was to go straight to Poco, to fish for some YFT and then try to catch my first couta of the season... we haven't seen one since March!!!!

The seas we got there were appalling.... big swells and unsettled for about 8 nm! We battled to go over 16 knots so decided to put our hi-speed trolling outfits out.... if we going this slow might as well start fishing...

Took us about 2h40 min to get to Poco... Matabicho XL was already there and by the looks of things they already had their holds full of YFT!!! We went around and around and no bites.... suddenly our shotgun line went  :sreel: as we went past them and I shouted on the radio that they had crossed our line and should stop immediately... obviously, it took a while 'till things got settled and my line was cut!!!!!! My beatifuly rigged pink/white seastar with a strip bait on a red daisy chain and bird jumped to the other boat. Word is... they took the lure and fished it throughout the day!! Bastids!  <:

After a while of no action we persevered at Poco and a nice strike on my trusted Rapala Silver.... surprise, surprise... my first ever. A couta at Poco! It was hauled in in not time and only when I put the gaff on the fish we realized how big it was! Straight to the hatch! We called it 12 kg and kept going... time was approximately 09h00...

Nothing happened till the end of the day!!! Went to the tip of the northern grounds... Could almost see Bilene and no bites.... used all tricks in the book!!!! Even tried for bottoms and only caught ONE emperor!!!!! WTF?!!?!

We tried and eventually at 14h45 decided to call it a day... the wind was staring to pick and sea to get ugly. Baixo Cutfield was starting to head up and those ugly swells were growing.

Two points to note:
1. The water was dirty and is still very cold.... temps were 21.6-22.7o C;

2. Plenty of life out there... never seen so many whales (babies and adults everywhere including very close inshore!), jellyfish by the 1000's, dolphins, turtles, etc...

In the end we did 97.7 nm and used 124 L of petrol... long day indeed!

Happy about the 13.4 kg  :cout: that we weighted at the club, but man... it's becoming REALLY frustrating fishing off of Maputo! 

UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013

Offline sardinella

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 24
  • I like to spinfish
Re: Fishing tales aboard MAXIMVS: Long day... (almost) no fish!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 03:16:18 pm »
Nice report, nice couta, ,thanks

Offline SAfish

• Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 136
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 07:07:12 pm »
 (clap) Thanks for the great report and a nice Couta!

Offline peterblace

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 76
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 09:05:04 pm »
bad luck for the late arrivals at the spot...good luck for the eraly arrivals

sorry for the hijack...I was invited aboard Matabixo XL...we launched early in the morning...or late in the night...by 4:40 we were going and sun was not out yet
got to poço a little bit before 7:00 and it was mayhem aboard from 7 till 8...then again from 9 till 9:30 with 3 and 4 strikes each drift over the area
in total we bagged 23 YFT...and got a nice size dorie to the boat...but the moment we were about to gaff it the fish turned under the boat and the the rod snapped...and so did the line
it was the only fish we lost from all the strikes we had
like Marcos mentioned from that moment on it was just a ride in the ocean...packed with big momma whales and their calfs...we had a very close encounter with a calf and a mother coming from the deep and scratching our bow...scary beautiful moment

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 44
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 08:05:30 am »
Thanks for the reports guys.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline L Hooker

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 55
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 08:21:39 am »
Thanks for the report chaps, Marcos nice couta, Pedro some lekker sashimi  (clap) and i hope you gave Marcos back his pink seastar :-) lol

Offline peterblace

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 76
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 08:30:44 am »
ah...yes...I forgot to mention I had an extra lure in the water all day...but no takers on that lure
I believe that's a proper strafe dop

Offline John F

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 08:47:11 am »
Thanks for the report chaps, Marcos nice couta, Pedro some lekker sashimi  (clap) and i hope you gave Marcos back his pink seastar :-) lol
I collected it myself as soon as they arrived at the Club... had some proper  swr as well!!!!
 :hyst:

Offline HooknCook

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 5
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 08:34:03 am »
Marcos, well done.....I dont like it when you sneak in unnoticed and dont say a word!! 😂😂😂 we were out on Sunday as well and the Rain Kept us South around B24! Managed some Rat Couta, Nice Prodigals and Couple YFT's!

Offline Hammer

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 47
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 09:02:54 am »
Mmmm, It seems the early bird catches the fish.
Tough luck Marcos, I hope you had your bikini on and tanned a bit whilst you were touring the ocean  :zipit:
Pedro, Pedro, pulling your mates lure is just a no no  (bat
Charles, thank you for leaving that huge couta that hit your boat for me for next week. I'll send you some pic's of it in the hatch  :hyst: :hyst:

"HAMMERED".... The Call Of The Brave.

Offline shu vawda

• Cred: 1
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 09:05:03 am »
Well done Marcos on opening the season with a good couta.

Offline John F

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 09:51:13 am »
Marcos, well done.....I dont like it when you sneak in unnoticed and dont say a word!! 😂😂😂 we were out on Sunday as well and the Rain Kept us South around B24! Managed some Rat Couta, Nice Prodigals and Couple YFT's!

Sorry mate! Didn't want to disturb your hunt for the big  :billf: Great catches there. Well done!

Tough luck Marcos, I hope you had your bikini on and tanned a bit whilst you were touring the ocean  :zipit:

Hey Mike,
The pink speedo craze is gone mate! Long gone! :hyst: :hyst: