Author
Topic: Fishing with Strip Baits  (Read 3944 times)

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 335
  • www.bluewatercharters.co.za
Fishing with Strip Baits
« on: October 13, 2010, 12:09:58 am »
The strip bait is a very under estimated method of fishing, and yet it is highly effective and can be used in so many ways.

To prepare a strip bait is very easy.
1.   Cut a strip of fish fillet or squid (even in width and thickness) in a long length about 2.5 times the length of your hook shank. Width will be dependant on your hook size.
2.   Cut the rear end into a point.
3.   Cut the front end square.
4.   Push the hook through from the fleshy side so it sticks out of the skin side with enough length so the square end goes about 1cm past your hook eye onto your trace.
5.   Wrap the square end around your trace and fix with a cable tie, so it is tight and cannot slide back.

This strip can now be used in many ways.
1.   As it is for slow trolling or drifting.
2.   With a skirt for slow/medium trolling and drifting.
3.   To enhance your Kona’s, Squids and lures for fast trolling.
4.   You can add weights to the line to get it deeper for drifting or trolling at any speed.
5.   You can troll it on your downriggers with or without your skirts/lures.
6.   On a drift in a chum line.
7.   With and without a steel trace.

The best bait for strip baits is belly shine from any game fish like Bonnies, Dorado, Tuna etc. but you can also use fillets from smaller bottom fish, Mackerel, Mozzies and so on. It is very simple as you can prepare this from fish previously caught and have a container full of pre-paired strips of fish and squid and a pack of cable ties and side cutters, or you can use freshly caught fish or bait fish and on the larger fish it means that they will then already be gutted when you cut the belly out and the rest you take home.

Personally I do not like using sardines here as their flesh just falls apart when used in this way and sardine fillets are best prepared inside out and wrapped all around the hook shank with ghost cotton.

This is very simple and effective and you can catch almost any fish from inshore Snoek, Big Game and Sailfish. It even works for large reef species.

PS: I used a piece of cloth for the pics, did not like the idea of bait on my desk.
BLUE WATER CHARTERS DURBAN - Marlin, Tuna and Big Game Fishing - www.bluewatercharters.co.za

ADVENTURE FISHING SAFARIS - Tiger Fish, Bass and Estuary Fishing - www.adventurefishing.co.za

Offline jaenswart

• Retired
  • Cred: 0
Re: Fishing with Strip Baits
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 07:11:32 am »
good stuff Mike.

I have found species that are not agressively biting or quite shy will sometimes go for the strip belly shine, which can mean the difference between a bad day out and a good day out.

What I alaso sometimes so id use a double strip, belly shine outwards and flesh to the inside. That way I get all the shine and all the smell.

Offline Big Van

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 33
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 07:29:10 am »
Thanks Mike. This has always been a great bait. Works very well when fishing becomes slower in the warm water periods. Great help!

Offline Sailor

• Wan-to-fish
  • Ultimate member
  • Cred: 13
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 08:37:08 am »
FA once again well done and thanks. Have some credit.

Offline CLS

• Born to fish forced to work.
  • Ultimate member
  • Cred: 113
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 10:14:18 am »
Thanks Mike.
A bad days fishing is better than sitting at home moping.

Offline Bwana

• Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 206
  • Deep Blue Addict
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 02:16:53 pm »
Excellent presentation and description Mike. There is no doubt this is a great fish catching technique. Guys also keep in mind chokka strips on your smaller konas and jets. The benefits include:

1) Easy to cut and trim to size
2) Thin diameter so easy to work with
3) Very very durable and long lasting
4) Very life like action in the water

Dorries, tuna and Sails love them and it's a great plan B if you can't get a fresh fish to cut bellyshine from. My 2c  w;k

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 335
  • www.bluewatercharters.co.za
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 02:31:15 pm »
Excellent presentation and description Mike. There is no doubt this is a great fish catching technique. Guys also keep in mind chokka strips on your smaller konas and jets. The benefits include:

1) Easy to cut and trim to size
2) Thin diameter so easy to work with
3) Very very durable and long lasting
4) Very life like action in the water

Dorries, tuna and Sails love them and it's a great plan B if you can't get a fresh fish to cut bellyshine from. My 2c  w;k
Agreed 100% chokka is great. On larger lures when desparate I use a whole large squid and this has produced. In fact once I went couta fishing and brought the wrong box of bait and down rigged a whole squid on a couta trace and caught a couta.
BLUE WATER CHARTERS DURBAN - Marlin, Tuna and Big Game Fishing - www.bluewatercharters.co.za

ADVENTURE FISHING SAFARIS - Tiger Fish, Bass and Estuary Fishing - www.adventurefishing.co.za