Author
Topic: DAIWA BG SPINNING REELS - Service and Maintenance tutorial  (Read 3630 times)

Offline Zak-e-Boy

• Cred: 13
  • Everyday's a Holiday - Umhlanga
Re: DAIWA BG SPINNING REELS - Service and Maintenance tutorial
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2018, 09:36:37 am »
Jace let us know what the outcome is, went and looked at the 4000 just yesterday, I have a 6500 and haven't had any problems with it so far, thanks Peter

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 753
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2018, 10:19:16 am »

Same issue on two BG reels after two day spinning...as soon as it came into contact with salt water. First time reels were used.. Really lost faith in this reel

As long as it's just bearing failures then it's not much to be concerned about. Reels that have been on the shelf/in transit for a year will have dodgy lube in the bearings. Ungreased bearings will fail very quickly in the salt.
I mentioned in the beginning that this reel is not waterproof and that it's bearings and AR bearing will be prone to corrosion... you HAVE to grease up this reel out the box before you use it! After that it will need ongoing lube and maintenance. If you're not prepared to do that then this is not the reel for you.

Sounds like Mr Hawk's faith in those high spec bearings was a bit premature?

Now is not a good time to go fishing... said nobody... EVER!!

#QAnon   
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline MIKE PIKE

• "The Mongoose"
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 196
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2018, 10:29:57 am »
Dont think any spinning reel is going to withstand the saltwater abuse unless its totally waterproof , so like any reel the odd splash or 2 of saltwater is ok , completely submerged a big no no .. if in doubt after a session , rather give it a freshwater rinse or minor lube without complete strip down , ive been rinsing some of my reels in salt assassin which seems to keep the corrosion at bay and a quick squirt of Spanyards  tackle protector seem to help as well .

Offline jace

• Cred: 28
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2018, 01:12:06 pm »
the stradic was dumped in salt water over a dozen times and still landed fish after fish with no issues

Offline jace

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2018, 10:58:32 am »
Got the Reel back from the Suppliers

Was told not to get the reel in Salt water ???

Jace

Offline Zak-e-Boy

• Cred: 13
  • Everyday's a Holiday - Umhlanga
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2018, 08:23:34 am »
Thanks for the feedback Jace, hope you have no more problems.

Offline Visenvryheid

• Cred: 19
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2018, 11:21:53 am »
http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/bg_sw_spinning/

Clearly marketed as a saltwater model?! What does the C.P.Act say about that Jace haha? Imagine being sold a MTB and then being told after sending in for repairs first ride that you mustn't take it off road? :) Or imagine landrover telling you not to take your new car off the tar..Eish.. BG was restoring some faith in daiwa spinners for me..but now not so much..

Offline jace

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2018, 11:42:07 am »
Actually asked the same questions and was told to buy the more expensive range that had sealed bearings. Rather stick to my Shimano reels. No more diawa for me

Offline Visenvryheid

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2018, 12:29:45 pm »
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=22976.msg383992#msg383992

At least, corrosion block your BG and fish it till it dies at least :) Get your moneys worth haha
Funny, all my multipliers I most commonly use are daiwas with third party bearings in them by now..but those things are bulletproof if I treat em right..But ja shimmy grinders if it needs to be a grinder, have enough and used enough of all of the brands...they just are tops. See enough of the sponsored shows on youtube get sponsored by whoever and then catastrophic failure during some part of the show and saragosa used quietly for the rest of the show, next episode they will quietly have new sponsors..seen it a few times, what a laugh..
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 12:35:09 pm by Visenvryheid »

Offline Grumpy

• Cred: 0
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2018, 07:16:46 am »
Used a bg5000 on a trip to Querimbas recently. After plucking a 25 -30 kilo Gt on a slow pitch jig, I found it starting to jam while winding. Carried on using it as is.
Stripped the reel yesterday and found the main shaft bent, approx 1.5 mm out of true. So the net result was the shaft jammed when at lowest point on reel , but not while under momentum.
Straightened the shaft and working fine now, will need to replace it as well as the worm gear/pinion .
Note that this is the first time in 45 years of using Daiwa products that I have had a fatal failure.
I was pulling quite hard though.!!!

Offline Visenvryheid

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2018, 08:08:36 am »
Years ago I took a daiwa spinner to the tropics and pulled a little football tuna with it on reasonably light drag, same thing happened. Reel still under warranty, the agents charged me for the part replacement, labour and postage fees..Eish the tackle shop was so embarrassed they covered the cost and sold me a shimano stradic at discount. True story..Never bought a daiwa spinner since. That little stradic 5000 is still going strong 4 years later, maybe a line roller bearing replacement and a drag washer replacement, after pulling hard on more than a ton of fish including many little tunas/bonitos (hundreds) and many leeries (over a hundred) and of good size too some over 10kg and even a few small yellowtail..The bigger sustain 10000 brother has pulled fish as hard as I can pull, heck I pull it as hard as I can each time I check my knots at home..If something was to fail it would have a long time ago..but it soldiers on, smooth as silk..?! That is the thing, you just want a piece of equipment to work as advertised, in the conditions it is advertised to work in, nothing special..nothing more , nothing less..Why can't the spinner makers get it right?! Only shimano and zebco and maybe one or two others coming to the party? I'm almost entirely moving to multipliers and baitcasters now..the designs are already spotless after years/decades of fine tuning and destructive testing/use, physics also on their side. My mate was trying to tell me years ago spinners holding me back as a fishermen, thought he was full of it..LOL

Offline Grumpy

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2018, 06:06:25 pm »
Spinning reels def the way forward. My challenge with baitcasters and multipliers has always been casting a light lure far enough. Very often fish are eating small sprats n anchovies far and can't reach them with a 15 to 18 g lure or jig.. Grinders have been game changers with the new small diameter braids and they have definitely improved from an engineering point of view. Casting plugs and small live bait at big tuna on a boat was dicey before. Not anymore. I hooked and landed a yellofin over 30 kg a while ago on a Sustain 5000 and 15 pound braid. Didn't take that long either. That wasn't possible with the older generation of grinders. They have their place
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 06:07:41 pm by Grumpy »

Offline fishatic

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 10
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2018, 08:07:42 pm »
I'm almost entirely moving to multipliers and baitcasters now..the designs are already spotless after years/decades of fine tuning and destructive testing/use, physics also on their side. My mate was trying to tell me years ago spinners holding me back as a fishermen, thought he was full of it..LOL

Vis,

It depends.
I love multi's.
I can cast them further, but they are not always the best tools for the job at hand, just as fixed spool's are not always the best tools when it comes to winching say?
Horses for courses you see.
If you have the opportunity have a go with a Shimano's Tranx 400, it will blow your hair back - I just spent the weekend buggering around with one.
For heavier braid, say 50lb+ I am convinced a multiplier is a better option for plugging but I would hesitate to do it in the near-dark or dark.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 08:10:31 pm by fishatic »

Offline Visenvryheid

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2018, 09:01:37 pm »
Ja was trying to catch livies today trying a new spot..a little spinner would have been a pleasure..but the heavy .55 mono stick and GW40 still caught them..LOL with a christmas tree trace and they wanted it suspended, not keen on a sinker at all so I ended up having to resort to some roll casts in the gulley with said trace..but made it work..Livebaits didn't get chowed though :( Got me a strepie, mullet for livebait and a little baby poensie, blacktail and baby cracker self released and a toby that I had to help off the hook..Interesting little gulley..Pity the real fishing was less successful. Spectacular spot down the cliffs, the walk was beyond..the walk up was more than one should have to deal with LOL thank goodness I never had a fish to carry..Will be back to put more bait in the water and spend less time catching bait..I am lucky to find that gem though..Will get some pics the next time..Untouched down there...Was hoping for a bigger poensie or some other large rare reef fish for the release haha..next time, if there is a spot this is it..
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 09:03:20 pm by Visenvryheid »

Offline Visenvryheid

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2018, 09:26:31 pm »
Mates dad spins with a tranx, they are pretty neat I'll admit..but since he put DIY magnets in my GW last year..been loving it, flys a mile and overwinds are rare! Fish at night with my GW, SL50sh and lately xmaster pro, all the time...no issues..ahh the magnets being the best thing since sliced bread... In the day cast control is loose, at night I make it just touch..perfect..Magnets setup so the line juuuust flares with minimal interaction and I still have to keep my thumb there..totally under control now but when I send a 4oz off with my little 10ft it still amazes me how that thing flys..only in onshore must I actually thumb the spool though..Ja I was late to the party with multipliers but catching up..With multipliers though the whole setup is more important, the rod must be right, line..reel must be setup right..or else tears..if all just right, it is thing of beauty and pleasure..I broke my rods tip last season and after having to go back to old rod and use other rods, I almost gave up on the end of the season and just spun with my light spinner for katonkel and shad at the end..My tip has recently been redone, thank god BM eventually made me another one, took them only like 6 months.LOL Ja but that rod is just so unbelievable with that reel and .55..It makes me look like a pro spinning, If I go back to old rod and I feel like a complete hack..Tried my old heavy spinning setup (grinder) for a bit at the end of the last season and casting all day you really notice that the ergonomics can't be compared. The spinner is really laborious, where as the same plug all day with the right multiplier setup is a pleasure..I just didn't know any better before haha..But grinders do have their place for sure..

Offline Grumpy

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2018, 08:34:12 am »
One thing that is undeniable though, is that spinning reels have enabled all those unable to cast a multiplier.  Now any fool that can hold a rod is in the game. Skill level required is 1/10.
Very often, a good casting spoon is not a good catching spoon. For example those bullet spoons. Casts a mile, catches shite. Too heavy and lousy action.
Same as chromed lead spoons. My best spoons are made of tin or S90 which is very light, but with a great action
That's where the grinders come in useful for me.

Offline Visenvryheid

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2018, 09:57:15 am »
Haha What you said..my fishing mates don't stop complaining about them getting in the way, crowding the rocks, bombing shoals, losing the fish, keeping tackle stores afloat. But I can't complain, that's how I got into the game! I was definitely one of those fools haha.. The guys catching all the fish keep to themselves and don't give out advice..in the hope that the fools will give up after wasting too much time and money and the rocks will become less crowded again..It goes through these cycles..I wouldn't give up though, after a year they thought, OK, this guys' not going away..lets get him onto a proper fish. My tackle got upgraded and upgraded and I lost fish after fish and was told it is the braid and it is the grinder and I must learn to fish a real reel..I was stubborn.

I eventually started getting big fish out, first decent one was a 30lb plus yellowtail on the grinder..but the first fish I hooked on the multiplier setup came home and lost few since then touch wood. The odds are just moved in your favor on a multiplier and mono once you learn the cast the frustrating thing. On braid there is so much not in your favor with big fish and structure around, the lack of shock absorption tends to pull hooks and it is harder to stop a fish and turn his head if it is a very powerful big fish even on heavy braid. Using the bungee and abrasion resistance of the mono makes a huge difference..Adjusting and having to lock down the drag after a big fish nailing you is very cumbersome on the grinder with the line in the way and takes a few movements which equates to those few precious seconds you need to get in control of the fish, on the grinder it is in control of you, on the multiplier everything is in a thumb range of reach without having to take your hand out of its current position. The ergonomics of the two are night and day in a fight, the grinder your centre of gravity higher and harder on your back, with multiplier everything is right in tight to your power centre and centre of gravity is low and it is a natural movement ot sit your weight into the rod and pump and wind, grinder you must pull with your arms and back to pump and wind...When one has to physically brake the spool when lockdown is not enough on a grinder, with no stretch and the stickyness of your hand against the spool, this often results in a lost fish. With a multiplier your lock the drag with right hand which is in position anyway, and then lock the line down on the grip with the left pulling hand on the top of your grip, you let the weight and pull of the fish pull your rod down and let the bungee of the mono stretch as it gets to its max, your puullll rod back up and let the lines drag pull the fish and turn his head, the fish has no choice but to follow and then pump and wind and get him up to the surface..till he turns the otherway and it starts again, keeping him clear of the pinnacles the whole time. With braid and grinder chances are you've lost him already?! If the grinder didn't pack up already?! LOL Even my cracker fishing/gallie fishing..I use a light spinner for the gallies sometime but the cracker bycatch is quite high so I'm lucky one hasn't picked me up on the 20lb braid yet..that would not last long at all! So I just use the multiplier for that too as sometimes and quite often who knows who will pick up my little blob of redbait, for the same reason I've stopped using little hooks for the gallies and just been hooking them on 3/0 and 4/0 big guns..because when mr cracker picks you up you have to be able to stop him and get him through the reefs. Mono just puts things in your favor..

But anyway so off topic here!!
 :zipit: