Author Topic: Main line breaking strain  (Read 2978 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline daveb

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 5
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Christchurch UK
Main line breaking strain
« on: December 10, 2017, 04:17:59 PM »
Hi,


I'm on holiday in the Plett and Jeffrey's Bay areas for a month this coming February and plan to do some shore fishing. I don't wish to target large species like sharks and big rays but preferably modest sized edibles. However I do realise that fishing with oily baits like sardines and chokka anything can show up so I'd like to know what breaking strain main line people would recommend for such a general all-round approach. Any advice  would be much appreciated.


Thanks
David   

Offline Nooduck

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 275
  • Cred: 14
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Fourways Johannesburg
Re: Main line breaking strain
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 06:15:39 PM »
What size rod and reel will you be using, rocks or beach as this will determine part of the answer.


For general fishing, lets say 10-12 foot rod with matching grinder, you can use 15-25 lbs mono or even better 30lbs braid.






Offline daveb

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 5
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Christchurch UK
Re: Main line breaking strain
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 07:03:57 PM »
I'll be bringing my Penn 7000 Surfblaster. It is loaded with 18lb mono which is fine for anything I'm likely to hook in UK waters. I intend to fish from the open beaches only, not the rocks and would hope that my current set-up will be fine for the sort of fishing I intend to do. I'd rather fish as light as is reasonable given the likely species from the beach.


I will be buying or hiring a 12-14ft rod once I get to Plett because the airlines charge silly money for rod carriage. If you have any suggestions for best type/make of rod that would be helpful, I will probably give the rod away or sell it if possible at the end of my trip so I am looking for something in the budget range that will do the job. Hiring, if possible would probably mean a better quality rod. 

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Main line breaking strain
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 07:15:20 PM »
Hi .


30 lbs and upwards , should cover it .


I suggest , you seek a trusted and known guide , from the area .
I unfortunately , don’t have details for guys up there .


It might just take a lot of quess work , out of the picture , as I assume your time are limited here ?


Good luck
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Visenvryheid

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 456
  • Cred: 30
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing and freedom! Thank the Almighty!
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Main line breaking strain
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 01:44:17 AM »
If you can get a day with Theo in Jbay, do it, he has all the gear you need to take to plett with your new found knowledge ;)

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal