Author Topic: Swannel Clips  (Read 9892 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Swannel Clips
« on: September 25, 2017, 09:14:30 AM »
Does anyone know who stocks Swannel clips, or alternatively, Dennis Swannel's contact details?
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: Swannel Clips
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 10:01:19 AM »
hi Martin a number from an old post on another site hope it works


I ONLY use clips and rings made by Dennis Swannell (0834188683)
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Swannel Clips
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 10:36:50 AM »
Thanks bud... searched high and low and didn't see that one. May have been because of the double L at the end of Swannell  duh ... Will give him a call tomorrow morning.


How's the shoulder?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 10:46:33 AM by FishStyx »
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Plugger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 977
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Forest Hills, Durban
Re: Swannel Clips
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 02:02:03 PM »
I get mine from Basil Manning. Try his on line shop.
Education is important but fishing is importanter !

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Swannel Clips
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 05:14:07 PM »
Thanks Bud. They didn't come up in a Google search... Now I see them listed on BM as a Mad Mullet product. Much appreciated.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Plugger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 977
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Forest Hills, Durban
Re: Swannel Clips
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 05:28:37 PM »
 :thmsup"
Education is important but fishing is importanter !

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Swannel Clips
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 03:53:11 PM »
Got hold of Dennis on the number supplied by Roger and placed an order with him today... Seems like a great bloke, good pricing.  :rck"


For anyone else who is interested:


0.9mm R2.50
1.0mm R2.50
1.2mm R2.75
1.4mm R3.25
1.6mm R3.75
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline ianf

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 968
  • Cred: 46
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Randburg, Gauteng
Re: Swannel Clips
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 08:35:44 PM »
For us uneducated ones, what is a swannell clip, and what do you use them for?  :dunno:

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Swannel Clips
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 10:00:26 PM »
Hey Ian, they are quick change clips for lures. Very strong and convenient. I have never liked clips but these ones have a really good reputation.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline ianf

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 968
  • Cred: 46
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Randburg, Gauteng
Re: Swannel Clips
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 09:34:19 AM »
Thanks. I have been using some other clip (made by Mustad, I think), for my small spoons / lures. These look very nice.

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Swannel Clips
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 10:37:59 AM »
They can be scarce in cpt .


I can vouch for the Swanell clips


Most probably the best clip around , and cheap too .


You can't go wrong with them .
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline peterblace

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1151
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mozambique - Maputo
Re: Swannel Clips
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 04:32:17 PM »
do you use them for heavy dutty fishing or just for light fishing?

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Swannel Clips
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 05:33:42 PM »
Rule of thumb seems to be 0.9mm approx 30lb braid, 1.2mm 65lb braid and 1.6mm 100lb braid, so it would seem that it's fine with heavier outfits. Will do some destructive testing when I get my stock which will entail tying up to some 100lb Jerry Brown and seeing what will break. Watch this space  w;k
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Swannel Clips
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 06:43:43 PM »
do you use them for heavy dutty fishing or just for light fishing?




I use them on mainly heavier outfits .


With the really light estuarie stuff the smallest of the lot are fine , but not  ideal if you seek a finesse / gentle  retrieve .
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Visenvryheid

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 456
  • Cred: 30
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing and freedom! Thank the Almighty!
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Swannel Clips
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 01:43:43 PM »
They are the best clips. I've straitened 10/0 singles and 7/0 trebles pulling fish, but not opened a 1.6mm clip yet pulling as hard as I can, I may be a skinny bugger but I can still pull..expect them to be scarcer after this thread haha! When fishing off the rocks they are a must have otherwise your terminal knot gets gnashed and you cast off lures and loose fish, with the clip on the knot rides over the rocks somehow?and doesn't get gnashed. It got explained to me like that but I can't explain how exactly but it is absolutely correct. They add action to a lure also, in finesse too, same as a loop knot, just use the tiny clips for tiny lures, walk the dog is much easier with a clip/loop instead of a fixed knot. Those E cape spinner legends really did figure it all out a long time ago..best lures, best clips, best knots..even the tackle they use for heavy spinning has not changed much in 2-3 decades, except for co-polymer lines and carbontex, my fancy modern gear is getting used less and less and I get my fish out now..if it ain't broke.

;)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 01:45:13 PM by Visenvryheid »

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Swannel Clips
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 02:45:05 PM »
Received my clips today through Postnet... effected by the super-efficient Anna-Marie. What a pleasure to deal with them.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline JeandlH

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 52
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Reebok, Western Cape
Re: Swannel Clips
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2019, 05:08:01 PM »
Does he still take orders from the public? Can't seem to find any in the Mosselbay/George area, and not even in and around CPT.

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Swannel Clips
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2019, 05:11:58 PM »
I got hold of them direct... They were very accommodating and posted off my order within a day. Get hold of Dennis on 083 312 6395
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Swannel Clips
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2019, 06:34:53 AM »
Does he still take orders from the public? Can't seem to find any in the Mosselbay/George area, and not even in and around CPT.


Bru they are all over , where are you shopping ?


I know , they are at suburban , FS , Tuckers .
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal