Author Topic: 203  (Read 13687 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
203
« on: October 09, 2010, 09:43:16 PM »
We went out for an afternoon quickie for a few hours, there was a moderate NE which picked up and then slowed down again and a 2.5m swell at around 10 seconds and so the conditions where reasonably nice. Water surface temperature was averaging 22.4 deg. C and the water was crystal clear.

I think I was confused today as my plan was to head South, but then North looked better and so I went North and halfway changed my mind and headed South only to decide to go North and eventually stick with my original plan and go South which eventually ended up going North. The reason for the confusion was that the water surface temp was varying between 22.3 and 22.5 deg. C and I wanted warmer water.

Once we were out I set a 5 lure spread with light tackle and it was not even a few minutes when the first reel screamed and after a tough fight we landed a monster Kawakawa (Eastern Little Tuna) I then worked this area some more with no further luck and headed for my next waypoint where again a reel screamed and after another tough fight we landed a nice Yellowfin Tuna, this was Tuna no. 203 for 2010. As before I worked this area with no further luck and then moved on to the next waypoint where again the reel screamed and we had a fish on, this fish however had other plans and would not play the game and tangled the lines and after some knitting he came off.
After this the wind picked up and changed direction slightly and we got no further bites after this.
I noticed a lot if fish jumping around our lures as they went by and although I never saw them clearly I am sure they were Halfbeaks, which is a very good sign.

We then did some light tackle reef fishing for a short while and landed a nice Copper Bream and headed back home after that. Whilst drifting I noticed huge shoals of fish swimming in the mid-water and it did not look like Mackerel or Sardine shoals to me, the fish seemed a lot larger.

Last but not least, I saw a ski-boat out there with the name Draco and these guys had thrown all their rubbish over board. Plastic bags, bottles, bait boxes etc.
Come on guys how difficult is it to dispose of this stuff when back on land.

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: 203
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 09:44:30 PM »
This is Draco the littering Boat. You can see 1 bag clearly in the pic in the RH bottom Corner.

Offline nico

  • The original man (*)(*)
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 773
  • Cred: 47
  • Gender: Male
  • Click above for cred!
  • Location: Gibraltar
Re: 203
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 09:50:12 PM »
Wow - what a big kawa! Are the marks on it nematodes?
 
Well done on number 203 - and even better exposing littebug DRACO...
 
Could you see the numbers on it? Club numbers maybe?

benniejordaan

  • Guest
Re: 203
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 09:54:11 PM »
This is Draco the littering Boat. You can see 1 bag clearly in the pic in the RH bottom Corner.

Littering, Not good!

Well done on your catches!

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: 203
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 10:04:09 PM »
Wow - what a big kawa! Are the marks on it nematodes?
 
Well done on number 203 - and even better exposing littebug DRACO...
 
Could you see the numbers on it? Club numbers maybe?

I thought I would get the numbers in my pic, but they are not clear enough.

benniejordaan

  • Guest
Re: 203
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 10:17:54 PM »
That Kawa looks at least 6 kg!
Compared to this one which I put on the scale. It was 6kg on the nose! This is also the biggest ELT I've ever caught and yours looks bigger!

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: 203
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 10:21:08 PM »
That Kawa looks at least 6 kg!
Compared to this one which I put on the scale. It was 6kg on the nose! This is also the biggest ELT I've ever caught and yours looks bigger!

Mine is Bigger than Yours  :crzy :crzy :crzy :crzy

I have caught bigger than this one before. This one weighed in at 7.18Kg

benniejordaan

  • Guest
Re: 203
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 12:55:47 AM »
Mine is Bigger than Yours  :crzy :crzy :crzy :crzy

I have caught bigger than this one before. This one weighed in at 7.18Kg

Why didn't you pin it and send it out as live bait?

Tsutsuma

  • Guest
Re: 203
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 01:04:50 AM »
Nice report Mike - the YFT was just a nice size for us to swim at B24 where Richard caught his last Marlin.
Some sea water for a second time in your Yammies after all the fresh water at Jozini - good stuff.

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: 203
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 10:25:19 AM »
Why didn't you pin it and send it out as live bait?
No big tackle on board :dunno:, and 12lb tackle would have just cost me a respool.  :hehe:

Offline eric cotton

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: 203
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 05:47:04 PM »
Congrats on your 203 YFT........ As for the litter bugs really cheese me off, just sent an e-mail to Patsy at DSBC to see if it one our members and explaining to her what happen with a photo......Will see what she has to say tomorrow.

Should be calling you "NATAL YELLOW FIN TUNA KING" :rck"

Offline jaenswart

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: 203
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 08:00:51 PM »
those guys would have made some lovely live baits....and after that some lekka skip baits :-)

benniejordaan

  • Guest
Re: 203
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 08:21:28 PM »
I little belly shine goes a loooong way too!

Tsutsuma

  • Guest
Re: 203
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 08:24:07 PM »
Belly Shine for my down rigged drifts is the very best - as you will see the end of this month here.

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: 203
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 08:59:36 PM »
Belly Shine Rocks.  :geet

Tsutsuma

  • Guest
Re: 203
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 02:38:23 AM »

Offline shagnrelease

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: 203
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 09:33:17 AM »
Mine is Bigger than Yours  :crzy :crzy :crzy :crzy

I have caught bigger than this one before. This one weighed in at 7.18Kg

check this fatty, fished weighed in at 10.26 at the vidal species comp. A real fat guy!

Offline mo-manack

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 105
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: 203
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 09:37:16 AM »
lovely fish,congrats on you 203!
im yet to catch a yft, hopefully soon!

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: 203
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 09:37:29 AM »
The best ever caught of my boat, caught on vertical jig and weighed in at 12.10Kg
.

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: 203
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 09:43:36 AM »
FA you realyy are the YFT king off Durban, congrats on 203 and I presume the first of many this summer

 :resp:

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal