Author
Topic: How to fish with correct bait for eatable fish in fresh water river close to sea  (Read 1723 times)

Offline jacobo

• Cred: 0
Good day guys.

Been helped by you guys before, and now I have a new question.

I have super possibilities for fishing in the river that enters the sea in Southbroom.

I have the gear but moved here from Europe and only started fishing here recently. So gear yes, knowledge NONE  :nuts:

My question is : What do I use to catch eatable fish in the rivers here. I can fish very close to where the river connects with the sea.

I would like 1 rod to bottom fish for me : what to use here to have best chance ?

And then I would like to do some spinning with my other rod : what to use here to have best chance ?

Any input will be highly appreciated as I am a very new beginner  :tkx:

Offline Visenvryheid

• Cred: 14
Best bet is to go with a freindly local for a few days and see what he is up to, what baits he uses to target what, when, where..etc..how to collect fresh bait etc..there is so much to cover and I don't even know much! In the river light gear is only needed though and what you use will depend on what you figure you want to target, when you do..You'll end up having a few rigs like different golf clubs for different situations and species.

Offline colin

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 13
Hi Jacobo . My suggestion , from Riptide( beach parking ) go up Imbezane Drive about 400/500m , there is a path going off to the right, it is a little trail that goes to the river , :hnthnt:  beware of stinging nettles. after +- 80m the path forks both go to the river . I prefer the 2nd path . You will get to two big rocks that you can fish off,  be careful as they slope downwards and an ambitious cast will cause you to lose balance and swim  :blush: . A light rod with no 4 or 2 hooks will get small fish one  can use for bait on 4/0 hooks . A heavier rod with 2/0 - 4/0 can get you river snapper or kob using sardine bait. Take short rods 2 to 2.5 m as the bush is close and overhanging. There must be Garrick and piggies but never seen caught. I usually cast a bigger bait upstream , and play with the junior squad in front of the rocks. . It is only 400m from where I stay (the 2nd house from riptide on the right) and enjoy the spot when the wind is howling.  :toppie:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 07:23:12 am by colin »
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline CraigT

Get yourself a kick boat with a sneaker motor or some other small vessel with a sneaker. It will open so many more opportunities in that river. That river works very well with small plastics.

Offline jacobo

Thank you so much. Will maybe gat a small boat when I get confident with the fishing tactics  :Like:

When you write 'small plastics', - then what do you mean by that ?

Thanks again !

Offline jacobo

@ Colin !!

WOW - thanks for those specific tips !! Will for sure be used for many happy hours. I live on North Ridge Road, - just bought a house here. Come from Europa and have a development in the Kruger Park Area, but now moved here. Fishing is my passion, so you can imagine I am like a little child after moving here !!

Hope to see you at the water one day, - that tip deserves a cold drink or a cold fishing beer !!!!

Offline jacobo

@ Visenvryheid.

Thanks. Yes, - immediately I saw this area I knew it could cost me all from different rods to a boat ! I am not working and have good time for fishing and soooo much to learn !

Offline jacobo

@ Craigt.

Thanks, now I found out what you mean by 'small plastics'  :hehe:

Offline colin

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 13
@ Jacobo , will be down at the coast in 3 weeks or so , but staying in my flat at St Michaels  on Orange rocks road. Southbroom is a fantastic family home but there are  :craz: :nuts: family to contend with. PM sent. :toppie:   
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline jacobo

@ Colin.

Did send you an email to the address that is linked to your profile here. Again thanks for advise !!