Author
Topic: Ponta Malongane Dreaming  (Read 702 times)

Offline KING-GT

• Cred: 28
Ponta Malongane Dreaming
« on: May 05, 2017, 11:17:30 pm »
Hello Everyone,

Been a looooooong time  :geet

Recently got back from a trip to Malongane.. I was more ampt to get the ski onto the water and try nab a gas bottle or a razor gang member or three.

Sadly with continuous SE winds blowing... the sea was on its head.

Anywho, this report is not about me but my wife that tagged along... After weeks of prep and getting her up to speed, i decided to rather "guide" her and get her stuck into some fish.

I know my buddies will be reading this report at some stage so for the record... i didnt really fish as hard as what i normally do haha so yes, i blanked but in good reasoning.

On day one and on the first throw... 3 mins later Rowena got rudely shaken up by a bus honey comb... it proceeded to hand out a proper hiding and eventually found the reef at the back at Fredricos bay...

A little later that morning, i chucked a small chokka bait on the the back bank and stuck the rod into a pension pipe... drag loosened and started to rig up a small flick stick for a live bait... Mates started to shout and as i looked up... there goes one Stella and Oval cruising towards the sea... luckily (im going to presume it was a hammer) the hook snoot was bitten clean off and left one very happy indian on the shore line with rod and reel in hand.

In between the weather and wind, we managed to get Ro onto a few rats and mice. For somebody that has not fished, catching grey grunter, russels one spot snappers etc can be entertaining. In between the fray, she managed to land a juvi Cave bass.

The light gear seemed to suit her best and she managed to land a few wave garrick and small stumpie inbetween.

The ONLY day of a proper NE we went back to Fredericos bay and once again, first throw, Ro went tight into a good Brown skate. On her next throw she simply got flattened by another Honey Comb... this was hooked unfortunately on my rod - which had 30lb braid... after running a full 400m non stop... i took over from her and proceeded to work one angry comb back... as luck would have it.. she found the ONLY brick on the northern side and parted my 30lb braid with no effort.

The weather turned for the worse from there and it was pretty much game over.

The guys tried their level best but its one hell of a place to fish.

Wayne Birch landed a stunning Green spot king on a stick bait which would be close to the 4kg mark.

Bruce landed a nice bone fish

Wortel got a few hidings with the drone drops but managed a nice brown skate on a small throw bait

Shaun headed up the drone fishing and between him and his son landed a nice pick handle cuda of around 10kg, a sandy of around 40kg and a bus of a turtle (yes with circle hook in the mouth) of a good few kgs! How he landed that was totally bizarre.

All in all, a fantastic trip with awesome brothers. The most satisfying feeling is seeing the smile of your loved one or in some case the look of horror with a screaming emptying spool haha.

Malongone as mentioned is a hell of a tough area to work. If anyone needs info on the area, i would be glad to help.

Until [size=78%] next time! [/size] :gt:

Offline KING-GT

Re: Ponta Malongane Dreaming
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 11:36:15 pm »
 :fshn:

Offline KING-GT

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 11:36:54 pm »

Offline KING-GT

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 11:37:26 pm »

Offline KING-GT

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 11:37:54 pm »

Offline John F

• Cred: 514
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 11:46:47 pm »
Hope the loggerhead turtle was safely released!

Tough trip... still better that the city traffic!!!

Thanks for the report.

UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013

Offline KING-GT

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 11:47:32 pm »
 :cout:

Offline KING-GT

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 11:49:35 pm »
Hope the loggerhead turtle was safely released!

Tough trip... still better that the city traffic!!!

Thanks for the report.

It went really well with the calamari and the shell will be an awesome coffee table when its fully dry....  :rotfl

Sorry mate, just taking the piss out of it... Yes, safely released without any harm  :-)

Used to Mili so this trip really made us work for the little that we got.

Offline John F

• Cred: 514
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 07:48:21 am »
Suppose I had that coming LOL.. you know what I meant...

Can you please provide more info on this bizarre catch? And pics of the hook placement etc? Location, date, bait used, any tags on the turtle (from the pic no tag on the left frontal flipper)...

THANKS!!!

UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 753
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 10:00:24 am »
Great report Eugene! Thanks.

Now is not a good time to go fishing... said nobody... EVER!!

#QAnon   
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline ianf

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 37
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 02:20:36 pm »
Can only share your sentiments King GT (we must have met on the beach just north of Fredericos). I spent 12 days up there, and while we did not fish all the time, I too blanked, my mate Graeme caught a nice snapper late one night (mackerel out on a slide, I think it was), and his son Josh caught a reasonable sized baby GT (plugging on a light rod). Wait I did not blank........I caught a moonie! (slid him out as live bait, but no takers). However, the snorkelling was good, and the company excellent!! And it sure beat being in JHB.

Offline ianf

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 02:22:16 pm »
And the wind just did not stop! Fortunately the house was well designed, and instead of getting a beautiful sea view, you got a verandah that was very pleasant to sit on, as the bushes absorbed all the wind.

Offline KING-GT

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2017, 06:06:38 pm »
Suppose I had that coming LOL.. you know what I meant...

Can you please provide more info on this bizarre catch? And pics of the hook placement etc? Location, date, bait used, any tags on the turtle (from the pic no tag on the left frontal flipper)...

THANKS!!!

Haha no worries.

I was not on that particular session that night but it munched a full chokka. Circle in the beak. No tags or markings. Landed on a waft pirate and a Torium 50 with .60mm top shot and 1.6mm windon. Hooked just south of Mamoli on the 25/4/2017.

Offline KING-GT

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2017, 06:07:53 pm »
Can only share your sentiments King GT (we must have met on the beach just north of Fredericos). I spent 12 days up there, and while we did not fish all the time, I too blanked, my mate Graeme caught a nice snapper late one night (mackerel out on a slide, I think it was), and his son Josh caught a reasonable sized baby GT (plugging on a light rod). Wait I did not blank........I caught a moonie! (slid him out as live bait, but no takers). However, the snorkelling was good, and the company excellent!! And it sure beat being in JHB.

Yes! I knew that face looked familiar! Ahh I'm glad he got a pull. I made up a slide trace for him on the beach that one morning. Did you see my hiding on the day Rowena got her brown skates?  :blush:

Offline KING-GT

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2017, 06:08:49 pm »

Shot Reef man.  BTW... your statement of Malongane being a desert is not too far off!!

Offline MIKE PIKE

• "The Mongoose"
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 192
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2017, 09:14:55 pm »
 (clap) nice Eugene , seems like im not the only one that had bad weather and fish with lockjaw conditions over that time period . :-(

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 753
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2017, 09:21:51 pm »

Shot Reef man.  BTW... your statement of Malongane being a desert is not too far off!!
Malongane IS a desert. Been plundered with nets and nurseries destroyed. Waste of time fishing there. Frederico's is the only spot worth trying, but even that's poor.

PS... there was a media gallery crash and on the restore, your pics were lost. Please won't you reload them. Thanks.

Now is not a good time to go fishing... said nobody... EVER!!

#QAnon   
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline ianf

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 04:27:11 pm »
We snorkelled at Fredericos, and there were lots of little guys in the rock pools, and the occasional larger size hiding in there too (wish I had taken my son's go-pro). We did see some fish jumping in the bay, either couta or more likely nice bone fish, but it was a bit too far out for me to be sure (and I didn't have my glasses on.) The ladies saw a lot of bait fish jumping, as well as some game fish. So the fish are there, maybe not in the numbers that should be there, but there are fish there. But they just were not biting on the days we needed them to! We will blame it on the wind.
It's called fishing, it's not called catching!

Offline KING-GT

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2017, 09:47:17 pm »
(clap) nice Eugene , seems like im not the only one that had bad weather and fish with lockjaw conditions over that time period . :-(

Shot Mike!

Offline KING-GT

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2017, 09:48:16 pm »

Malongane IS a desert. Been plundered with nets and nurseries destroyed. Waste of time fishing there. Frederico's is the only spot worth trying, but even that's poor.

PS... there was a media gallery crash and on the restore, your pics were lost. Please won't you reload them. Thanks.

Well i have a league this weekend so maybe some fresh pics are needed lol